Post-Game Talk: Caps @ ghosts of Barclay 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I think it's time to go back to 8-92-77 and 90-19-14. Not only do the possession numbers suggest that this would be optimal, but it makes sense from a hockey sense too.

Backstrom simply doesn't have the speed in transition to play the type of game that Ovechkin and Oshie like playing but is a very good offensive zone possession player. Meanwhile, despite Kuznetsov's fantastic individual efforts in transition recently Johansson and Williams aren't very good at that type of game and are better suited to a possession game.

I also don't think matching Ovechkin with the opposition's best line is particularly effective either. I'd like to see 90-19-14 be the shutdown possession line and 8-92-77 line against weaker opposition.

Barry has mentioned that he likes going power on power, we'll see if that changes.

Isabelle Khurshudyan ‏@ikhurshudyan 26m26 minutes ago
More
Trotz said he thought Tavares's line won the matchup against Backstrom's line. Other than that, thought everything was pretty even.

This is a common occurrence for that line, can't remember they last time to won a possession battle.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I know Trotz likes going power on power, but I don't think it's a particularly effective strategy especially with the defense Ovechkin is playing this season. Obviously you can't control every line matchup especially on the road, but I wouldn't actively seek out a power on power matchup if I were Trotz.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree with Twabby, we should shuffle the lines to keep things fresh and change the matchup. Ovi has been bleeding shots against for some reason, we should let him feast on easy match ups with Kuzy. The only issue would be for road games, opposing teams will cover 8-92 100% of the time.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
He can start by getting his AHL play back on track. He's been relatively quiet on the score sheet and somewhat listless since his demotion.

All that would change I feel if they put him back with Kuznetsov now that KuzyMagic is 100% back. Also anything is better than MoJo. Not that they would ever actually sit his ass.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
A little swoon from here to the deadline sounds ideal to me. Don't get complacent. This rubixcube is about 95% done but not all the way there most likely. Go all in and win this ... it's time to make the hard choices that boss orgs make all the time.

I'm totally fine if this is our Cup squad. If not someone smart needs to step in before the deadline and make that finishing tweak.

The games themselves are somewhat meaningless now, but the players, the GM and the coach having their pulse on the team is absolutely not.

In short, I'm fine with whatever they do ... just ****ing win when it counts.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps better not go on a losing streak because the Pens just put their playoff lines together (minus Malkin and Cullen) so they are going to start winning a lot of games.

Winning the Eastern Conf. really is the best way to go at this point.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Islanders are playing Hunter Hockey. Coin flip.

6 man goalie system.

The Caps in the first half of the game had several looks in prime scoring areas that went wide or were blocked and this is b/c the Isles packed it in big time.

In their breakouts the 3rd forward is basically on the goaline and their wingers below the top of the circles. That's why they hardly had any odd man breaks/

Once they scored the go ahead they had like 5 guys back on their side of the ice.

I didn't like this style when Hunter ran it and certainly don't like how teams like the Isles and Sens run it. It is tough to watch and in general it is bad for the sport.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't think Trotz changes up the lines just yet but if they lose another game or two it should happen. Backstrom is not only a negative possession player but he's a negative relative possession player thus far as well. That's never happened in his career. The only other time he was a negative possession player period was in the disastrous Oates final season. Ovechkin is also a negative player in both categories. The only time that's happened before? The Dale Hunter partial season. Not good precedents here, regardless of usage. If they're just power-v-power survivors now then they may just be over the hill.

As-is they're relying pretty much exclusively on the middle six and two D pairs for their possession advantage. That's probably not going to cut it. It doesn't really matter whether they've upgraded the third line compared to last year. It's more a question of whether it's enough overall and it still may not be. Their best players need more than a survival approach. I'm sure some of it is pacing themselves but they need to be more consistently effective regardless.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I don't think Trotz changes up the lines just yet but if they lose another game or two it should happen. Backstrom is not only a negative possession player but he's a negative relative possession player thus far as well. That's never happened in his career. The only other time he was a negative possession player period was in the disastrous Oates final season. Ovechkin is also a negative player in both categories. The only time that's happened before? The Dale Hunter partial season. Not good precedents here, regardless of usage. If they're just power-v-power survivors now then they may just be over the hill.

As-is they're relying pretty much exclusively on the middle six and two D pairs for their possession advantage. That's probably not going to cut it. It doesn't really matter whether they've upgraded the third line compared to last year. It's more a question of whether it's enough overall and it still may not be. Their best players need more than a survival approach. I'm sure some of it is pacing themselves but they need to be more consistently effective regardless.

Betting that Trotz will pit them against the Bergeron line tonight.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

As recently as this season Backstrom and Ovechkin were both positive possession and relative possession players when apart from each other. They're not as good as they used to be, but it's hard to say either is over the hill given their point and goal totals. I think it's just a matter of how they've evolved as players and that they don't really have chemistry at even strength any more.

I made a post in the analytics thread about how both Ovechkin and Backstrom benefit from being apart from each other:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=127599997&postcount=383

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I made a post in the analytics thread about how both Ovechkin and Backstrom benefit from being apart from each other:

It may be a blind squirrel thing but I have seen Nick and Ovi struggle at ES for years. They just fail my advanced eye test, possibly in part to the expectation I set on them as all world players. It's telling we struggle so much to get a RW for them when logic would say any schlub could be plugged in there.

I don't post about it much anymore because everyone sees the game differently, and the classic push back.... they have great chemistry. And I don't bother anymore in part because Trotz won't split them up, at least not until the 11th hour, back to the wall. I predicted in March he would only reunite Ovi and Kuz if we were down 3-1 in a series. Surenuff...

I would like Barry to rethink matching power vs power. Ain't happening, nuff said.

Keep beating the drums Twabby, you statistically support what a lot of us see.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
As recently as this season Backstrom and Ovechkin were both positive possession and relative possession players when apart from each other. They're not as good as they used to be, but it's hard to say either is over the hill given their point and goal totals. I think it's just a matter of how they've evolved as players and that they don't really have chemistry at even strength any more.

Maybe true. But with the month of January we had it would be hard to argue to split the lines up.

I'm sure they will going forward if the 1st line continues to have their issues.

I think the big problem is that Ovechkin isn't as engaged defensively and is deferring shots far more often than in years past.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe true. But with the month of January we had it would be hard to argue to split the lines up.

I'm sure they will going forward if the 1st line continues to have their issues.

I think the big problem is that Ovechkin isn't as engaged defensively and is deferring shots far more often than in years past.

The 8-19-77 line was mediocre last season yet they were kept together for the vast majority of the season and most of the playoffs. It's hard to believe Trotz will suddenly make a change and optimize the lineup if the team keeps winning, and that's what concerns me. They can be better and I hope Trotz realizes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad