Post-Game Talk: Caps @ ghosts of Barclay 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Last game for Capitals there before they are kicked out of their new arena? Or am i year too early?

Just win. Islanders are not a really good team.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Last game for Capitals there before they are kicked out of their new arena? Or am i year too early?

Just win. Islanders are not a really good team.

They are a team coming off back to back 100pt seasons who have underachieved this year and had held on to a coach who was holding them back for far too long.

They play us tough every single game and beat us a couple times already this year.

They are 5-0-1 since the coaching change and guys like Ladd and Chimera are finally starting to produce.

Greiss was player of the week and is hot. He had something like a 98 sv pctg of late.

If Caps take them lightly they will get smashed.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
They are a team coming off back to back 100pt seasons who have underachieved this year and had held on to a coach who was holding them back for far too long.

They play us tough every single game and beat us a couple times already this year.

They are 5-0-1 since the coaching change and guys like Ladd and Chimera are finally starting to produce.

Greiss was player of the week and is hot. He had something like a 98 sv pctg of late.

If Caps take them lightly they will get smashed.
The roster is noticeable different in a bad way compared to previous years. They're a fringe playoff team.

You pointed out the biggest reason the for their current success. Greiss's SV%. The majority of long winning streaks have been alongside a goalie getting hot.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
kuznetsov-nassau.jpg

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The roster is noticeable different in a bad way compared to previous years. They're a fringe playoff team.

You pointed out the biggest reason the for their current success. Greiss's SV%. The majority of long winning streaks have been alongside a goalie getting hot.

Metro is tough this year. They definitely miss Okposo (Ladd is his replacement and only recently playing good), Nielson (who was younger cheaper and better than Chimera) and Matt Martin (who had great chemistry on their 4th line)

But they also have a lot of good young players finding their way and not sure Capuano was the guy who could bring them along.

They have underperformed as of now altho you are right. They are riding the combo of a hot goalie and momentum boost from coaching change right now. But the team they were in their first 40 games is not indicative of their talent level.

They are at the level of or better than the Flyers IMO

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
At 1504-1504-303, the Caps have a chance to go above 0.500 as a franchise for the first time ever. They lost their two previous chances: 10/09/1974 at 0-0-0, and one week ago at 1503-1503-303.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bob's already pissed off all the visiting Islanders fans.

I'm merely a historian. Not like I generated those memorable moments personally.

On the other hand I like the Islanders team. They got some nice young pieces that just need to develop a bit.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It is odd. I guess they are pissed that year we finally beat them in the playoffs.

Sure, I hated Billy Smith, the original Trots. Potvin. Nystrom. Bam Bam not letting Gus out of the net. Clark Gillies. Kasperaitis. #allpunks

But I don't hate their fans for any reason. Dare I think, still spoiled fans.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I actually feel bad for the Isles. Brooklyn did them wrong which only proves to me once again that Brooklyn sucks. I hate that place and never understood the "charm" about it. :squint:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Most of their fans still haven't forgiven Dale Hunter! That shot probably did cost the Isles a shot at a cup since I think they beat Monty with Turgeon. Ray Ferraro still harbors ill will over that.

Then we have the Wilson incident.

But for us older fans in the 80s the Isles were our modern day Pittsburgh. Busloads of their obnoxious fans flooded the old Cap Center and they always seemed to have the whammy over us when it mattered.

There was no team I hated more than the Islanders as a young Caps fan with Philly coming in 2nd.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
At 1504-1504-303, the Caps have a chance to go above 0.500 as a franchise for the first time ever. They lost their two previous chances: 10/09/1974 at 0-0-0, and one week ago at 1503-1503-303.

Where are OTLs in that record? Because if they're included in the 303 then the Caps are not .500. The NHL's idea of .500 in the current point format is absurd.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Where are OTLs in that record? Because if they're included in the 303 then the Caps are not .500. The NHL's idea of .500 in the current point format is absurd.

1504 wins
1371 regulation losses (and overtime losses pre-99/00)
303 ties
133 overtime losses (99/00 and later) plus shootout losses

1504 total losses

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The usual anti-shenanigans crap applies. Isles fans, see our local rules and behave yourselves. Caps fans, just report any trolling.

4-2 Caps

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
possibly the best GDT title yet this year. Though I feel for Isles fans, mainly because I don't have the disdain for the islanders like I do the pens/flyers/rags, I will be glad to not play a game at that joke of an arena again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad