Post-Game Talk: Caps @ ghosts of Barclay 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Agreed. 90 and 43 are the ones that stick out the most IMO. It's just a matter of whether the front office and coaching staff are cut-throat enough to actually do it.

At this point I'd say Willy brings more than Mojo because our fourth line has been superb at times. But yeah, they could both be improved upon.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I still see the Penguins 8-7 loss as the beginning of the end to this season. Trotz recalibrated them, shot totals and possession stats have been low since then.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I still see the Penguins 8-7 loss as the beginning of the end to this season. Trotz recalibrated them, shot totals and possession stats have been low since then.

Big part of that has been due to the injury to Carlson, and Trotz's insistence on having "balanced" D pairings in his absence.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Meh. Looked more like the caps from the beginning of the season. And the end of last season after the storm. There were some snow flurries last night. That counts as a snowstorm, I guess.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's time to go back to 8-92-77 and 90-19-14. Not only do the possession numbers suggest that this would be optimal, but it makes sense from a hockey sense too.

Backstrom simply doesn't have the speed in transition to play the type of game that Ovechkin and Oshie like playing but is a very good offensive zone possession player. Meanwhile, despite Kuznetsov's fantastic individual efforts in transition recently Johansson and Williams aren't very good at that type of game and are better suited to a possession game.

I also don't think matching Ovechkin with the opposition's best line is particularly effective either. I'd like to see 90-19-14 be the shutdown possession line and 8-92-77 line against weaker opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad