Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The overall point made by @traparatus is fair though: Ovechkin and Backstrom faced much weaker competition than they faced in prior years, and had more generous zone starts than they did in prior years, and they were really bad together despite this.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We’re now partially blaming 8/19 for the disappointments that were Bura and Vrana?

Wow….Kuzy too? Anyone else we should shift blame from, to our 2 greatest players ever?

Reactions: g00n

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We’re now partially blaming 8/19 for the disappointments that were Bura and Vrana?

Wow….Kuzy too? Anyone else we should shift blame from, to our 2 greatest players ever?

Its been pretty well established already that Kuzy was actually playing pretty well and Backstrom was struggling.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Its common for coaches not to use their top offensive lines against the opposing top lines. Backstrom and Oshie did get a lot of those assignments. Same with Backstrom and Wilson.

Caps deployment model last season is not at all common among contending teams.

I consider the following group of teams to be high end Cup contenders - Boston, Tampa, Carolina, Vegas, Colorado with Islanders slightly behind. Add Pittsburgh,Washington and Florida to the mix. For almost all these teams, their top players faced deployment that was somewhere between more difficult and extremely more difficult than what Caps' top players faced. These includes both quality of competition and zone deployment. Exception is Barzal, who is quite heavily sheltered by NYI with Nelson taking on the difficult matchups.

Furthermore, while Backstrom faced easier deployment than the vast majority of top line centers, Kuznetsov was even more heavily sheltered. Essentially, Laviolette did his best to hide the entire top-6 from tough competition.

There is nothing to address as far as Backstrom/Wilson/Oshie getting tough assignments. They didn't. They faced some tough opponents because high end opponents play high end minutes and it's impossible to completely hide the whole top-6 from difficult competition. They faced them as little as it was possible without drastically reducing their ice time. Caps player deployment last season was prototypical of a young team in the first few years of coming out of its rebuild. Only instead of trying to shelter a 20 year old center not yet ready for tough defensive assignments, Laviolette was trying to shelter Backstrom and Kuznetsov.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
"can't ice a competitive team if you are trying to shelter some $25m in cap dollars on your 3rd line"

Probably can't ice a contender with 20M+ dedicated to aging stars regardless. But if you keep trying to make young players fit in with those aging stars on the top lines, you'll be stuck trying to play 2008 hockey until those guys retire. In addition, the development of those younger players might actually suffer -- there's some evidence of that with Bura & Vrana (not that those guys are blameless). On the other hand, if you have just one line that has to play "old man" hockey, I think it's actually more manageable, and you can transition to a faster style as a team.

Anyway, I'd much rather watch something like that -- an attempt to become a faster team overall, even if Ovi & Backstrom take a backseat, then see more of the futility that the last 3 years have been.

I'm certainly not dismissing your points. What roster do you have in mind? I honestly cannot come up with a top-6 that doesn't prominently feature both Backstrom and Ovechkin, is cap compliant and is available to us.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I'm certainly not dismissing your points. What roster do you have in mind? I honestly cannot come up with a top-6 that doesn't prominently feature both Backstrom and Ovechkin, is cap compliant and is available to us.

Honestly, I meant an overall strategy/goal over let's say the next Ovi contract, not something that can be achieved by opening day next season (which I very much doubt).

One rough hypothetical would be -- Kuz (or whoever Kuz is traded for) with Mantha and/or Wilson on the 1st line. Ovi-Backstrom-X is the other top-6 line at the start, but starting to take a bigger share of defensive assignments. Try to get CMM up to NHL speeds on the 3rd line with plenty of support.

After that the exact top-9 lines' ice-time/assignments would depend on how quickly CMM develops (and into what), who else the Caps can get in trades, and how Ovi/Backstrom age. In this particular scenario Kuz, Eller, Oshie could all be traded (over the next season or so) to get a top-6 C replacement, plus some top-9 winger(s) that will fit in with how you're planning to play.

Overall, I'm just proposing to focus on developing offense + speed + future playing style on these two "other" lines, instead of keep trying to dilute talent and (especially) speed in order to support Ovi and Backstrom in their former roles as offensive focal points. Let the Ovi-Backstrom line gradually shift towards a "defense-first grizzled vet" identity. Yes, they will be vastly overpaid and will still have a tough time against speed, but I think we probably have to accept it as a fact of life going forward with any Ovi or Backstrom line -- this way at least maybe we can get more out of the younger guys on other lines and start transitioning to a faster playing style.

Maybe it can't be done - maybe for one reason or another the Caps have to keep plugging away business as usual. But I would welcome such an attempt.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The overall point made by @traparatus is fair though: Ovechkin and Backstrom faced much weaker competition than they faced in prior years, and had more generous zone starts than they did in prior years, and they were really bad together despite this.

Well, if there's no way to get semi-decent defensive performance out of an Ovi-Backstrom line, then what I'm suggesting above certainly won't work. But in that case I think the Caps are screwed trying to solve the top-6 puzzle (that they never solved outside of the Cup run) with aging Ovi and Backstrom...

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
We saw 19 move to a middle 6 role and I think any decent shot at another cup will needs to have 8 there too. Not sure how you get a top line worth anything though with the big contracts in the middle 6. I almost think Kuzy needs to be the key. Wake up and realize it’s his team to drive or it’s nothing.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Well, if there's no way to get semi-decent defensive performance out of an Ovi-Backstrom line, then what I'm suggesting above certainly won't work. But in that case I think the Caps are screwed trying to solve the top-6 puzzle (that they never solved outside of the Cup run) with aging Ovi and Backstrom...

Backstrom has largely been very strong defensively, including last year. So I think playing him in a second line role taking the tough matchups might be a good strategy going into next year. And as you mentioned

But in that case Ovechkin just cannot be a part of that line. Over the past 3 seasons, in terms of even strength defense (as measured by expected goals above replacement) Ovechkin has been the second worst forward in the entire NHL, ahead of only Patrick Kane. And he doesn't drive play like he used to, so he can't just win those battles by having the puck in the offensive zone all of the time.

And even if they were somehow a shutdown duo they still need to be able to generate offense. And this past year was brutal in terms of chance generation when Backstrom and Ovechkin were on the ice together:

upload_2021-6-6_8-18-25.png

If I'm constructing the roster this offseason I'm looking for a top line center that will play with Ovechkin at even strength. It could be Kuznetsov if they don't trade him, but if they do trade him they need to prioritize finding a true #1C that can help drive offense and can form chemistry with Ovechkin.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As with my last post, I mainly agree. It's really 92/13/43 who were rightly looked upon to be young enough still to spearhead something great. All of them have failed to do so. It also doesn't help that management's answer to roster holes have all mainly been older players with less left in the tank.

Sustainability begins and ends with drafting and development. Straying from that is always dangerous and PIT is a great example on that as well.

I find it laughable you’re somehow finding a way to lump in Wilson as a disappointment with Kuzy and Vrana….but I’m good with the rest.

99% of posters shit on Wilson for being a no talent plug, now he’s a disappointment because what, he’s not a regular 30\30 guy?

Not sure exactly what your expectations are of the guy if you’re unhappy with him, but you must loath 92 and 13 if you have issues with 43.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I find it laughable you’re somehow finding a way to lump in Wilson as a disappointment with Kuzy and Vrana….but I’m good with the rest.

99% of posters shit on Wilson for being a no talent plug, now he’s a disappointment because what, he’s not a regular 30\30 guy?

Not sure exactly what your expectations are of the guy if you’re unhappy with him, but you must loath 92 and 13 if you have issues with 43.
The matter with Wilson is not like he's a part of team's issues. It's that he wasn't a part on the answer to those issues, to some of those at least, not all of them. At this point you have to look at the roster and ask yourself the right questions. And it's not "who's the problem?" but "who's the answer?". Everybody who doesn't answer the latter one should be available for a trade.

Reactions: Langway and twabby

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Wilson and Carlson aren't going to be the types of players that carry a team, but they can potentially return a piece or two that can carry a team, it needs to be done. Both probably have very high trade value and that needs to be leveraged to get a true 1C on this roster, and possibly another true top pairing defenseman, otherwise we're looking at years of mediocrity.
Realistically that probably involves getting younger and assuming some risk but finding equally versatile talents isn't easy. Finding franchises willing to get older isn't easy. MacLellan is more bold than GMGM but I'm not sure ownership is prepared to cut that deep. Overall I don't think they'll want to subtract a crucial piece from the room until they miss the playoffs and have more of a mandate. Even 92 is tricky removing his talent and not taking a step back. They could add a more consistent and defensive-minded center but finding the right blend to augment 19 and their wingers won't be easy.

Oshie may be the next one that needs to go, despite his leadership importance, due to age and declining pace. There will be a point where they're way too slow and it may be better to cash out on him rather than be stuck with an unmovable contract in 8/19's last few seasons. Not to say he should be exposed in expansion. They need to get strong value back. They'd suffer without him on the PP, in shootouts and in the room. They know they're going to get whatever he's got so maybe he also finishes it up in DC. I just don't know how they can manage an increasingly slow core. Sprinkling in a McMichael or Fehervary isn't enough. It's also an area where Mantha doesn't help a ton. His hockey sense is top-notch and he's defensively strong but he's never going to be a burner. He can work with them but without anyone opening up space can it work? It's an area where Wilson perhaps more than anyone didn't impress in the playoffs. That should have been his bread and butter time to shine and he still very much looked like someone afraid of crossing the line.

My idea has been just upgrading the second D pair to offset a fundamentally declining offense but there are no easy answers. More pace and skill from the back-end could help the aging core and to further accentuate Laviolette's approach but those types of defenders are rightly highly valued. They're not exactly asset rich, particularly if not prepared to substantially subtract from the roster. There are no quick fixes in reaching that top level. They're just going to have to hope injuries were a key reason, that some of their older dogs can both learn some new tricks and turn back time and that they can once again get back to drafting and developing integral pieces that can infuse them with hunger and pace.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The matter with Wilson is not like he's a part of team's issues. It's that he wasn't a part on the answer to those issues, to some of those at least, not all of them. At this point you have to look at the roster and ask yourself the right questions. And it's not "who's the problem?" but "who's the answer?". Everybody who doesn't answer the latter one should be available for a trade.

one guy isn’t the answer…the TEAM needs to buy in and give their all….we cant support high priced talents who don’t care AND demand a winning culture/team.

Wilson isn’t one of those guys.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Did you think Wilson had a strong playoffs against Boston? I'm evaluating from the level of whether he's a carrying type prime player and he's not shown that yet. He's developed well but he's got five points in his last 13 playoff games. It's not prime production. Fully engaged and effective he could have perhaps carried them and hasn't. I'm not saying shop him because he's still too essential but he's not reached franchise level or anything and they've arguably needed it.

I'm lumping him in because of his age only and that it should be expected that he's continuing to further refine his game and become even more productive.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did you think Wilson had a strong playoffs against Boston? I'm evaluating from the level of whether he's a carrying type prime player and he's not shown that yet. He's developed well but he's got five points in his last 13 playoff games. It's not prime production. Fully engaged and effective he could have perhaps carried them and hasn't. I'm not saying shop him because he's still too essential but he's not reached franchise level or anything and they've arguably needed it.

did anyone in the top-6 (hell, many on the entire roster)?

my view is he busted his ass as always and and he, like many, produced below par.

For my tastes, that doesn’t qualify him for “if you’re not the solution, you’re the problem” treatment.

Not until the elephant in the room is addressed.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Realistically that probably involves getting younger and assuming some risk but finding equally versatile talents isn't easy. Finding franchises willing to get older isn't easy. MacLellan is more bold than GMGM but I'm not sure ownership is prepared to cut that deep. Overall I don't think they'll want to subtract a crucial piece from the room until they miss the playoffs and have more of a mandate. Even 92 is tricky removing his talent and not taking a step back. They could add a more consistent and defensive-minded center but finding the right blend to augment 19 and their wingers won't be easy.

Oshie may be the next one that needs to go, despite his leadership importance, due to age and declining pace. There will be a point where they're way too slow and it may be better to cash out on him rather than be stuck with an unmovable contract in 8/19's last few seasons. Not to say he should be exposed in expansion. They need to get strong value back. They'd suffer without him on the PP, in shootouts and in the room. They know they're going to get whatever he's got so maybe he also finishes it up in DC. I just don't know how they can manage an increasingly slow core. Sprinkling in a McMichael or Fehervary isn't enough. It's also an area where Mantha doesn't help a ton. His hockey sense is top-notch and he's defensively strong but he's never going to be a burner. He can work with them but without anyone opening up space can it work? It's an area where Wilson perhaps more than anyone didn't impress in the playoffs. That should have been his bread and butter time to shine and he still very much looked like someone afraid of crossing the line.

My idea has been just upgrading the second D pair to offset a fundamentally declining offense but there are no easy answers. More pace and skill from the back-end could help the aging core and to further accentuate Laviolette's approach but those types of defenders are rightly highly valued. They're not exactly asset rich, particularly if not prepared to substantially subtract from the roster. There are no quick fixes in reaching that top level. They're just going to have to hope injuries were a key reason, that some of their older dogs can both learn some new tricks and turn back time and that they can once again get back to drafting and developing integral pieces that can infuse them with hunger and pace.

It's a matter of asset management to me.

Maybe I'm way off and Wilson wouldn't return much in a trade. But from every report and snippet of every interview it seems like Wilson is the type of player other GMs would kill for. He's already significantly impacted the Penguins franchise and perhaps even the Rangers now. Why not leverage that apparent value in an attempt to significantly improve the core in Washington and make the team better? As you mentioned, despite Wilson's outsized presence in media circles and his "rent-free" status his value hasn't really been apparent in the postseason of late. He's largely been invisible when it's mattered.

And why not leverage Carlson's status as a #1 RD to get someone to actually put the team over the hump in the postseason? It's going on 3 straight postseason duds for Carlson where he's actively hurt the team, yet I'd be shocked if his value isn't still really high given his Norris contention, point totals, and his perceived status around the league.

The problem with just hoping injuries were a key factor is that even if they were, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson are all going to be yet another year older next year. We need to bet on a rather unlikely parlay in order for them to succeed next year, namely that they will all remain mostly healthy and that their skills won't have deteriorated much due to aging yet another year during a period when most players' decline is rather steep even if healthy.

It's not a bet I'd be willing to make, and that's why I think the more prudent path is to actually add someone to the core. I don't think just upgrading the second pair does much to move the needle if John Carlson keeps playing the way he has for 3 years, for instance. I don't think the Vrana and Mantha swap really accomplished enough to make them contenders. They need a real impact player or two.

As I mentioned I think ownership can be persuaded if management approaches it as not just as a way to try to win another Cup, but as a way to get Ovechkin to 895. As it stands I don't see a path for Ovechkin getting that milestone. But with someone like, say, Jack Eichel centering him for the next 5 years? It's possible. And imagine the media spotlight and more importantly to Ted the $$$ as Ovechkin chases down Gretzky.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
These are sensible enough ideas in the abstract. It's the execution where I'd struggle finding fits that work. While Wilson & Carlson have value, do they have value to the point where they'd land equal young talents? What's the motivation from the acquiring team getting older? Is a Brady Tkachuk plus another younger roster player, for example, enough for Wilson? I think we're sort of seeking perfection when on an individual level it's extremely rare to find and there's a lot of lower-hanging fruit that doesn't require an extreme makeover in order to improve. Also, and probably most crucially, I'm not sure there are realistic scenarios where this is a Cup level team no matter how much they change the parts surrounding 8/19.

As far as desperate teams go no one stands out more than Toronto but I don't know if there's a fit. A Rielly+ swap probably doesn't do much of anything for the Caps. Columbus with Seth Jones by other means could maybe work with a lot of other moving parts in other deals. It's just complicated. A lot would need to be orchestrated. Sorting out Kuznetsov and the center position may be enough hassle.

Again, I think MacLellan needs a larger mandate to do much else deeply altering and they're not quite there yet. I don't think the route to 895 would be overly persuasive, in part because we don't know how long 8 plans on going after it and it's still a far off goal. Continuing to make the playoffs remains their top organizational goal and I don't think anything else is close. Maybe in another year they're thinking bigger picture, post-Laviolette and entertaining more sustainable routes to managing 8/19 and the rest of the core. For now I do think Oshie is the most realistic of that group to move because it's lower magnitude and there's a much more persuasive pace argument to be made if he could net or otherwise open up cap space for a younger, faster talent. But even that they may not be prepared to do quite yet.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why not leverage Carlson's status as a #1 RD to get someone to actually put the team over the hump in the postseason?

Status=Fake value?

Whats your definition of dud? 2pts in 5 games this season. 6pts in 5 last season. Dud? 5pts in 7 games. Dud? Thats 13 pts in 17 games. Thats top 10 points per game over those 3 playoffs. Are we back to points are overrated? Are you thinking that xGF% is what gets them over the hump?

Injuries. Are you judging that the injuries had no effect or that the injuries will continue to be an issue?

I will offer one example. Matt Niskanen. He was beat up from the cup run and had an off season. Some hear judged that as decline and approved of moving him. Niskanen rebounded and led a resurgence of the Flyers that they couldnt replicate when he retired because of COVID.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
These are sensible enough ideas in the abstract. It's the execution where I'd struggle finding fits that work. While Wilson & Carlson have value, do they have value to the point where they'd land equal young talents? What's the motivation from the acquiring team getting older? Is a Brady Tkachuk plus another younger roster player, for example, enough for Wilson? I think we're sort of seeking perfection when on an individual level it's extremely rare to find and there's a lot of lower-hanging fruit that doesn't require an extreme makeover in order to improve. Also, and probably most crucially, I'm not sure there are realistic scenarios where this is a Cup level team no matter how much they change the parts surrounding 8/19.

As far as desperate teams go no one stands out more than Toronto but I don't know if there's a fit. A Rielly+ swap probably doesn't do much of anything for the Caps. Columbus with Seth Jones by other means could maybe work with a lot of other moving parts in other deals. It's just complicated. A lot would need to be orchestrated. Sorting out Kuznetsov and the center position may be enough hassle.

Again, I think MacLellan needs a larger mandate to do much else deeply altering and they're not quite there yet. I don't think the route to 895 would be overly persuasive, in part because we don't know how long 8 plans on going after it and it's still a far off goal. Continuing to make the playoffs remains their top organizational goal and I don't think anything else is close. Maybe in another year they're thinking bigger picture, post-Laviolette and entertaining more sustainable routes to managing 8/19 and the rest of the core. For now I do think Oshie is the most realistic of that group to move because it's lower magnitude and there's a much more persuasive pace argument to be made if he could net or otherwise open up cap space for a younger, faster talent. But even that they may not be prepared to do quite yet.

Of course I don't know what the exact move would look like and I don't know the exact fit from the other team's perspective (and it doesn't necessarily need to even be rational from the other team's perspective, not all trades are), I just think the Capitals need to recognize where they're deficient and urgently try to pursue a fix. If they are aggressive in pursuing an upgrade and nothing sensible is available then that's fine. I don't disagree that it would likely be complicated with a lot of moving parts. But at least give it a real effort and be willing to be creative, even if it means losing 43 or 74. The last thing I want to see is them happy going into next season with little changed except maybe 92 swapped with a lower-ceiling but more consistent 2C type, and a couple of replacements in the bottom 4 D. It's just not good enough.

I don't think the Capitals are going to reach the same heights as they did in 2010 and 2016-17 in terms of being the odds-on favorites to win it all, but with a few good moves they should be able to position themselves to be contenders instead of also-rans as they have been for the past 3 seasons.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Status=Fake value?

Whats your definition of dud? 2pts in 5 games this season. 6pts in 5 last season. Dud? 5pts in 7 games. Dud? Thats 13 pts in 17 games. Thats top 10 points per game over those 3 playoffs. Are we back to points are overrated? Are you thinking that xGF% is what gets them over the hump?

Injuries. Are you judging that the injuries had no effect or that the injuries will continue to be an issue?

I will offer one example. Matt Niskanen. He was beat up from the cup run and had an off season. Some hear judged that as decline and approved of moving him. Niskanen rebounded and led a resurgence of the Flyers that they couldnt replicate when he retired because of COVID.

My definition of a dud is a player who actively hurt the team on aggregate in terms of driving goal-differential. Carlson, in my estimation, did just this.

If you'd like to make the claim that Carlson was great or even good the past 3 postseasons go right ahead. If I were trying to be exceptionally ironic I'd tell you to watch the games and stop throwing out meaningless stats.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
If you could get a good return for Wilson or Carlson that would improve the team, I would be all for it. But with what your losing, I don't think you do. Especially with Wilson. Teams would take him, but I think we would most likely end up being worse.

I understand the desire to change things up, I have it too. But it has to be the right move, and honestly I think the best chance for us to rebound is if Kuzy actually gives a crap. He is a top line center and was MIA, it would be a huge gain if he returned, and cost us nothing.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My definition of a dud is a player who actively hurt the team on aggregate in terms of driving goal-differential. Carlson, in my estimation, did just this.

If you'd like to make the claim that Carlson was great or even good the past 3 postseasons go right ahead. If I were trying to be exceptionally ironic I'd tell you to watch the games and stop throwing out meaningless stats.

Driving goal differential. We find that all of the Caps top 5 point/goal producers dont drive enough goal diff, so lesser producers are better.
At the same time the Caps had 3 players at +10 or better this season. Orlov, Dillon and Schultz.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Driving goal differential. We find that all of the Caps top 5 point/goal producers dont drive enough goal diff, so lesser producers are better.
At the same time the Caps had 3 players at +10 or better this season. Orlov, Dillon and Schultz.

+/- is not the same as driving goal differential.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
If you could get a good return for Wilson or Carlson that would improve the team, I would be all for it. But with what your losing, I don't think you do. Especially with Wilson. Teams would take him, but I think we would most likely end up being worse.

I understand the desire to change things up, I have it too. But it has to be the right move, and honestly I think the best chance for us to rebound is if Kuzy actually gives a crap. He is a top line center and was MIA, it would be a huge gain if he returned, and cost us nothing.

It all depends on finding the right partner, or set of partners if you're setting up a 3-way deal. You'd need a GM of a team that might be looking to get "tougher" (Dubas? Rutherford a few seasons ago (altho I'd prefer a team in the West if we're talking Willie)); one or two young/skilled/fast/whatever top 6 players on said team who could fill key needs identified by Caps mgmt; (perhaps) other assorted bodies as necessary for cap purposes and/or contract balance; and ownership sign-off to move one of the faces of the franchise. I don't think anything like this gets done, if it ever does, until there's agreement with Ovie on his next contract which will provide cost certainty going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad