Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
per 60 skews raw stats a lot, and dismisses the fact that Kuz is often not getting Top-6 minutes

TOI in Kuzy's 9 games:
3 gms 18:00 > 19:00
2 gms 16:00 > 17:00
3 gms 14:00 > 15:00
1 game 12:48
When an elite player like Kuz doesn't break 15 min.s TOI that sends up many flags that fancy stats don't account for

The non-snarky response is that he has the best goal-differential on the team on a per 60 basis. Claiming he is simply "treading water well" is the non-substance response, so I figured I'd respond in kind.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kuzy might have best per 60 points ratio against Buffalo (evening games only). But we want to see playoff performer in him, whos able to play against top players with success. And some here have their doubts so far.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
goal differential and expected points! we win the Heat Map Cup... who needs real live wins or standings points anyway?

Goal differential is how you judge the winner and loser of a hockey game, and also how you acquire standings points.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
per 60 skews raw stats a lot, and dismisses the fact that Kuz is often not getting Top-6 minutes

TOI in Kuzy's 9 games:
3 gms 18:00 > 19:00
2 gms 16:00 > 17:00
3 gms 14:00 > 15:00
1 game 12:48
When an elite player like Kuz doesn't break 15 min.s TOI that sends up many flags that fancy stats don't account for

Kuznetsov is currently getting the 6th most 5v5 ice time, 20 seconds per game behind Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie and a full 1:13 more per game than Lars Eller. He's clearly in the top 6 at even strength.

His ice time is down from prior years because he has been moved (rightfully, IMO) to the second power play unit instead of the first.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Goal differential is how you judge the winner and loser of a hockey game, and also how you acquire standings points.
:facepalm:

Fine. Caps get 4 goals; Devils get 3 goals. Caps win. Differential is +1. But you don't win individual hockey games by having a net differential of +1/60. That could mean you lost three games each by 1 goal and won one game by 4. You're still losing.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
The non-snarky response is that he has the best goal-differential on the team on a per 60 basis. Claiming he is simply "treading water well" is the non-substance response, so I figured I'd respond in kind.
The irony in all of this is that Kuz is one 3pt game away from sitting at his career average in pts/game (.807). Add to it that he’s only had ONE regular season where he was over pt/game (outta 7), it seems a tad unrealistic to consider that his floor (or minimum).

he’s a 73-78 pts full season player when healthy. That’s my read. He’s started a little slow, but it sounds like perhaps he’s rounded his game more. Which is something we all wanted.

when rounding ones game, it’s not ridiculous to think some pts/game may get sacrificed some. It happens in all sports. The “all offense” guy realizes he needs to play a more rounded game and his offensive stats diminish some.

let’s see how this all roles. twabby brings up some sound evidence that Kuz game is evolving. And he probably had COVID (was that confirmed? I cannot remember) which will obviously impact him.

my further 2 cents

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Just thinking... IF lundy does come back before the playoffs we could waive Panik or Jensen to fit him under the cap. Maybe sending down a goalie and a min player gets us enough cap space for Lundy

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Someone pointed out, he wasn't at MedStar. So it's probably not a team-sanctioned practice or anything.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The irony in all of this is that Kuz is one 3pt game away from sitting at his career average in pts/game (.807). Add to it that he’s only had ONE regular season where he was over pt/game (outta 7), it seems a tad unrealistic to consider they his floor (or minimum).

he’s a 73-78 pts full season player when healthy. That’s my read. He’s started a little slow, but it sounds like perhaps he’s rounded his game more. Which is something we all wanted.

when rounding ones game, it’s not ridiculous to think some pts/game may get sacrificed some. It happens in all sports. The “all offense” guy realizes he needs to play a more rounded game and his offensive stats diminish some.

let’s see how this all roles. twabby brings up some sound evidence that Kuz game is evolving. And he probably had COVID (was that conformed? I cannot remember) which will obviously impact him.

my further 2 cents

the problem herein begins with looking at his career average and accepting that as the baseline or NORM. He’s underproduced for his skill set (over his career) if he gave a lunch pail effort like Oshie or Wilson, or most of his teammates really...

..and I don’t buy that he’s suddenly sacrificing offense to play better defensively....if he was suddenly tenacious along the boards and playing with fire, busted his ass to suddenly dominate faceoffs, ok maybe I bite...but he’s not.

For his skill and cost, he should be around a PPG. Convince us otherwise.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
the problem herein begins with looking at his career average and accepting that as the baseline or NORM. He’s underproduced for his skill set if he gave a lunch pail effort like Oshie or Wilson...

..and I don’t buy that he’s suddenly sacrificing offense to play better defensively....if he was suddenly tenacious along the boards and playing with fire, ok maybe I bite...but he’s not.

For his skill and cost, he should be around a PPG. Convince us otherwise.
There are multiple ways to play defense. He’s not built physically to play the way you describe. He’d probably get hurt. Some of his worst injuries were being crunched into the boards.

He’s not ever going to be that player. But twabby’s fancy stats do show an improvement. If you don’t believe those types of stats are meaningful, then perhaps just say that.

look at Kuz’s career points/game. Year by year. Only 3 of his 6 full seasons had he been even over .9 pts/game. So again, I think your baseline is more the ceiling. 1 yr over 1pts/game. 2 yrs over .9 pts/game. 3 yrs under.

what more proof do you need? Or is this also a “hate the contract” discussion?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s a discussion about a 7.8 mil player who should produce like one.

I think you’ve accepted his admitted half-assed effort and resulting production over the years as what he should be delivering.....

I believe that to be a flawed perspective, because he should be producing more IMO.

at this point it looks like the player is what he is and won’t change....I am accepting of that. However that doesn’t change that he’s underperforming IMO.

edit: I’m in no way denigrating his defense when he does well, or that the ice might tilt some, but it’s not enough at his cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad