Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
:facepalm:

Fine. Caps get 4 goals; Devils get 3 goals. Caps win. Differential is +1. But you don't win individual hockey games by having a net differential of +1/60. That could mean you lost three games each by 1 goal and won one game by 4. You're still losing.

Yes, that is a rather remote possibility that doesn't ever manifest in reality. The correlation between goal differential and points percentage over the past 3 seasons is extremely strong: r = 0.983 (data taken from Natural Stat Trick here: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick). In other words if the team has a good goal differential, they are almost certainly also going to have a very strong points percentage.

You need to construct a rather elaborate and frankly unbelievable story to say that Kuznetsov having a strong positive goal differential is actually not beneficial for the team as a whole.

Reactions: Hivemind

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hey - Sens fan here. Just wondering who sits for you guys with a healthy blueline. I seem to remember that Kempny and Orlov have played some RD (and maybe Dillon?)... do one of them slide over to bump Jensen out?

Further to that point - do you see the Caps moving Jensen if the opportunity were to arise?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It’s a discussion about a 7.8 mil player who should produce like one.

I think you’ve accepted his admitted half-assed effort and resulting production over the years as what he should be delivering.....

I believe that to be a flawed perspective, because he should be producing more IMO.

at this point it looks like the player is what he is and won’t change....I am accepting of that. However that doesn’t change that he’s underperforming IMO.

edit: I’m in no way denigrating his defense when he does well, or that the ice might tilt some, but it’s not enough at his cost.
Ok, so....

“yes” you aren’t a big believer in twabby’s fancy stats “proof” (you wanted to be convinced...so it’s obv not convincing you)

“yes” you don’t like the contract. His play for the money (ROI on the contract) isn’t good enough

I’m not stating he’s anything. Just trying to understand what people are feeling here.

sounds like it’s “he’s not scoring enough points to be a 7.8m a year player!!!”

succinctly.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Hey - Sens fan here. Just wondering who sits for you guys with a healthy blueline. I seem to remember that Kempny and Orlov have played some RD (and maybe Dillon?)... do one of them slide over to bump Jensen out?

Further to that point - do you see the Caps moving Jensen if the opportunity were to arise?
Right now it’s Siegenthaler and vanRiemsdyk sitting when all healthy.

Kempny is a ways away. IF he comes back on time to be a factor AND his 2 week conditioning stint in Hershey shows him to be capable to return to the NHL ice... barring any other injuries, Caps would need a trade to fit him in.

Jensen seems a likely candidate to get slotted down to 7th and or traded. And it’s not a knock on Jensen, he’s been playing pretty well over the last half dozen games or so.

but who else would they slot out?

Won’t be Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Schultz. No chance. I’d be very hard pressed to see Chara pushed t0 7th on a regular basis (or the playoffs, if the Caps make it).

So by process of elimination — its Jensen

Reactions: Neil Racki

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Right now it’s Siegenthaler and vanRiemsdyk sitting when all healthy.

Kempny is a ways away. IF he comes back on time to be a factor AND his 2 week conditioning stint in Hershey shows him to be capable to return to the NHL ice... barring any other injuries, Caps would need a trade to fit him in.

Jensen seems a likely candidate to get slotted down to 7th and or traded. And it’s not a knock on Jensen, he’s been playing pretty well over the last half dozen games or so.

but who else would they slot out?

Won’t be Carlson, Dillon, Orlov, Schultz. No chance. I’d be very hard pressed to see Chara pushed t0 7th on a regular basis (or the playoffs, if the Caps make it).

So by process of elimination — its Jensen

Thanks. Kinda what I was thinking, too.

What would you guys be expecting in return for Jensen? Would it take anything more than a smaller contract or two? My thought from Ottawa was J Brown (2 x 1.2m) + Wolanin (900k, RFA) for Jensen. Gives you guys a few cost-controlled bottom of the line-up DMen while allowing you guys to save about 1.3m this year, 1.3m next year, and 2.5m the year after. Wolanin has some potential, I was a big believer in him, but hasnt done enough in Ottawa and likely lost his longterm spot on our very crowded left side to Brannstrom.

Obviously its not huge value, but given the guys who are passing through waivers I felt it could be appealing. I could see Ottawa adding a mid pick, too, but probably not much more than that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

What would you guys be expecting in return for Jensen? Would it take anything more than a smaller contract or two? My thought from Ottawa was J Brown (2 x 1.2m) + Wolanin (900k, RFA) for Jensen. Gives you guys a few cost-controlled bottom of the line-up DMen while allowing you guys to save about 1.3m this year, 1.3m next year, and 2.5m the year after. Wolanin has some potential, I was a big believer in him, but hasnt done enough in Ottawa and likely lost his longterm spot on our very crowded left side to Brannstrom.

Obviously its not huge value, but given the guys who are passing through waivers I felt it could be appealing. I could see Ottawa adding a mid pick, too, but probably not much more than that.
I don’t think the team would want any salary back at all. They’d still have Fehverary (or LaDue) as their 9th d-man. No need for anyone else.

same w forwards. Sprong, Carr, Sgarbossa, McMichael, Maillet are all not playing now as it is.

goalie is the only place that could be a thing. But Lundqvist is skating again, so maybe he’s the back back back back up plan.

futures is all the Caps need. Whatever that would look like.

OR — adding Jensen as a smaller piece to a larger deal for an upgrade to the better players.

that’s where they stand this year

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I don’t think the team would want any salary back at all. They’d still have Fehverary (or LaDue) as their 9th d-man. No need for anyone else.

same w forwards. Sprong, Carr, Sgarbossa, McMichael, Maillet are all not playing now as it is.

goalie is the only place that could be a thing. But Lundqvist is skating again, so maybe he’s the back back back back up plan.

futures is all the Caps need. Whatever that would look like.

OR — adding Jensen as a smaller piece to a larger deal for an upgrade to the better players.

that’s where they stand this year
Definitely makes sense, but I think it would be tough to find a team willing to take on 3x2.5m for a 5/6/7D without sending something back. Might make sense for you guys to just play wait and see with him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Lundqvist might help to level out that bad goaltending situation a bit short term but he's not the answer for the playoffs. Especially after what he went through lately. He wasn't the answer at the time of the signing anyways. They need a legit goaltender. Seems a bit unlucky that out of all those talented russian goalies who invaded the league in the last years the Caps got the most problematic one.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Kempny, if "healthy", is the 7D IMO. Even before his achilles injury he tore his hamstring and never returned to his 2018-2019 form. Barring any drastic drops in their play none of the current top 6 D on the team should sit unless Kempny just absolutely lights it up, which shouldn't be expected at this point.

Jensen has probably been their best defensive defenseman this season and arguably one of their best 2 or 3 defenseman overall and he's coming off a pretty good postseason despite the rest of the team laying a big fat egg. He'd be way down the list of players to trade, especially if the return is what you mention here.

Reactions: SDBondra

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Kempny, if "healthy", is the 7D IMO. Even before his achilles injury he tore his hamstring and never returned to his 2018-2019 form. Barring any drastic drops in their play none of the current top 6 D on the team should sit unless Kempny just absolutely lights it up, which shouldn't be expected at this point.

Jensen has probably been their best defensive defenseman this season and arguably one of their best 2 or 3 defenseman overall and he's coming off a pretty good postseason despite the rest of the team laying a big fat egg. He'd be way down the list of players to trade, especially if the return is what you mention here.

Interesting, thanks for the response. I've always liked Jensen but have just heard bad things over the last while. Glad to hear he's coming back around.

Do you think you guys will try to clear salary elsewhere? I feel like you guys have a lot of expensive-but-serviceable depth... might be easier for you guys to move your salaried depth players than other teams.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes, that is a rather remote possibility that doesn't ever manifest in reality. The correlation between goal differential and points percentage over the past 3 seasons is extremely strong: r = 0.983 (data taken from Natural Stat Trick here: Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick). In other words if the team has a good goal differential, they are almost certainly also going to have a very strong points percentage.

You need to construct a rather elaborate and frankly unbelievable story to say that Kuznetsov having a strong positive goal differential is actually not beneficial for the team as a whole.
"Beneficial" is not the bar. Difference-maker is the bar. That's the whole point. These stats aren't wrong per se, they just don't compensate for the fact that he's not playing to his potential or contract.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

That right there is a good explanation for Caps being one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
"Beneficial" is not the bar. Difference-maker is the bar. That's the whole point. These stats aren't wrong per se, they just don't compensate for the fact that he's not playing to his potential or contract.

Kuznetsov currently has the best 5v5 goal differential on the team, and the 15th best in the entire NHL (out of 570 qualified players). That's a difference maker IMO, but you may disagree and that's ok!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I am very glad that you brought this up. Here is the breakdown of where Kuznetsov's +/- comes from:

StrengthGoals ForGoals AgainstDifferential
5v301-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

:oops: I can't believe that happened. Not a good showing for Kuzy.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That right there is a good explanation for Caps being one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

I'd go with bad goaltending and bad luck as the primary culprits, and then I'd list every other defenseman before I'd list Nick Jensen as the reason they concede too much.

Reactions: kicksavedave

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Not that our two best D have been a train wreck this season right?

Well, yeah. I like Jensen and I don't understand some of the disdain fans show toward this guy but he has no business being in conversation for best defenseman on any NHL team. He is (or should be) on ours.

Kinda like last playoffs. Jensen was our best D. We got obliterated.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
@twabby is probably our boards biggest Jensen fan.

Me or @txpd.

I'll call him out when he plays crappy like he did for most of last season. But, since we all love stats, here are his numbers:

PlayerxGF/60xGA/60xGF%
Nick Jensen2.241.7256.57
Dmitry Orlov2.12.0650.49
Justin Schultz1.981.9650.36
Zdeno Chara2.182.1550.26
Trevor van Riemsdyk2.342.5148.21
Brenden Dillon1.832.1146.39
John Carlson1.792.1545.37
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Best xGF% and best xGA/60 by a mile.

Here's his usage:

jenseni90

Certainly looks like he's getting his good results in non-sheltered minutes.

Here are his on-ice results in picture form:

upload_2021-2-23_14-21-5.png

Generates chances at a higher rate than the team on average AND suppresses chances against better than the team on average. Looks pretty good to me.

He's also formed a killer duo with Orlov: they sport 65% xGF together! Eventually I'd like to see them back together, they complement each other very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad