Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It was BMac with the OT GWG (his 2nd goal of the game) in Game 1 of the Caps-Rangers 86 Patrick Division finals. Caps were big favorites, but a resurrected Pierre Larouche lead the Rangers to the upset
New York Rangers at Washington Capitals Box Score — April 17, 1986 | Hockey-Reference.com
God. I’d forgotten that about BMac. He stole from us, and then he gave to us. Huh.

and I remember our own Mike Ridley killing us that series. Ugh.

that and the Rags holding our sticks all series long (as they had the previous series to the Flyers as well), and the NHL let it play then. Smart coaching by Sator.

Caps blew em out games 2 & 3. Should’ve been 3-0 at that point. Lost another OT choke fest in game 4, and then the legend of our negative history was born as they white knuckled games 5 & 6.

I firmly believe they won that series, they win the Cup. Easily best team left. And who knows how many more w the juggernaut D they had.

ah well.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
God. I’d forgotten that about BMac. He stole from us, and then he gave to us. Huh.

and I remember our own Mike Ridley killing us that series. Ugh.

that and the Rags holding our sticks all series long (as they had the previous series to the Flyers as well), and the NHL let it play then. Smart coaching by Sator.

Caps blew em out games 2 & 3. Should’ve been 3-0 at that point. Lost another OT choke fest in game 4, and then the legend of our negative history was born as they white knuckled games 5 & 6.

I firmly believe they won that series, they win the Cup
. Easily best team left. And who knows how many more w the juggernaut D they had.

ah well.

Yep and the same in 1992 had they beat the Pens. 86 was all about Roy so it would've been a great Conference Final.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
i don’t recall TVR ever having a regular spot. I thought he only got time because Orlov and Schultz were out.
Jensen was heathy scratched for several games in a row prior to Schultz getting injured, in favour of TVR. Came back when Schultz went down and hasn’t looked back.

Reactions: Hivemind and um

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Chara-Jensen had a nice stretch to start the season, followed by an abysmal game in which they gave up like 3 or 4 goals. Jensen was scratched for a little while following that.

Reactions: HecticGlow

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Again, you appear to be conflating the "how" and the "what". I don't know how Kuznetsov has turned around his numbers. Maybe Laviolette has helped him regain his form. Maybe Kuznetsov himself did some soul-searching this offseason and decided he needed to train better and dedicate himself to the game moreso than the past. Perhaps a wizard came and cast a spell on him making him a dominant player in terms of xGF%. It'd be an odd spell, but I suppose it's possible. Maybe it's all of the above.

Unfortunately we are not privy to the "how" (at least I am not), but we do know that his on-ice performance metrics are significantly different, and better, than they were for the prior two seasons. I'm not trying to claim how he did it, I'm just saying it's more likely than not that his level of play is going to continue based on past data. I don't care if it's mostly attributable to Peter Laviolette, or Kuzy's wife, or his kids, or a wizard. I'm just saying he is likely to continue to have a positive net effect on the team's success as measured by on-ice goal differential. As someone who wants the Capitals to keep winning, that's all that I can ask for.

Regarding sample size:

Sample Size Calculator - Confidence Level, Confidence Interval, Sample Size, Population Size, Relevant Population - Creative Research Systems

View attachment 402629
View attachment 402630

Sample Size Calculator

View attachment 402632

Indeed at some point once the population size becomes large enough the sample size needed doesn't depend on the population size at all. It does depend on the margin of error you are looking for: I think 3% is a reasonable margin of error, so maybe r^2 is as low as 0.20 or as high as 0.26, but for some reason I don't think this would alter your argument. I consulted the formulas and calculators as you asked, and I came to the same conclusion I did beforehand: 1000 is plenty big as a sample size, even if there were an infinite population size. Perhaps you have a better calculator, and perhaps these sites are both using the incorrect formula? I'd love to learn something new!

And while the answers to polling are typically multiple choice, and the data presented in our discussion are "highly variable numbers," fortunately we can still build confidence intervals around "highly variable numbers." That's the whole point of building confidence intervals. Confidence interval

I probably shouldn't post right before bed but I used the 99% Confidence Interval in the first calculator, which puts it at close to 2,000 needed, or almost twice the size in the analysis.

Granted 95% returns a number closer to 1,000, though still higher, but the overall 23% rate is still very low and only looks good compared to other shitty stats, as we both have noted.

Anyway, I never said Kuzy sucked and needs to be traded blah blah blah. I said the stat isn't great and at 23% predictability it isn't. It...just...isn't. And the analysis you posted doesn't change that, regardless of confidence levels etc, imo because this is an outlier season and there is significant selection bias in the sample.

Will he get better? Again, I think he's a 30 goal talent baseline and hopefully he'll start putting up numbers that show up somewhere other than a deep dive fancy stat "yeah but" spreadsheet, and move him up the boxcar stats that are used to determine winners, losers, and contract values vs the salary cap.

Moving on.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Re: Kuznetsov —

we can’t really claim “small sample size” for twabby’s fancy stats (as a way to demean them), and then turn right around and complain about his .55/pt game in that exact same sample size.

it’s one or the other, isn’t it? All stats are discounted due to sample size, or all are counted?

Kuznetsov is playing a more rounded, 200ft game, from what I can tell. In doing so, it *may* be impacting his points production.

is this new Kuz worth his 7.8m contract? I don’t know yet. Need the full season (and the playoffs) to truly determine that.

Just my opinion (and said earlier, I think the points will come)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
How the hell do we have a huge game for #1 in the East tonight and we still have no GDT. I am tempted to just go out there and make my own :laugh: We don't want that, do we?

*chop chop!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Re: Kuznetsov —

we can’t really claim “small sample size” for twabby’s fancy stats (as a way to demean them), and then turn right around and complain about his .55/pt game in that exact same sample size.

it’s one or the other, isn’t it? All stats are discounted due to sample size, or all are counted?

Kuznetsov is playing a more rounded, 200ft game, from what I can tell. In doing so, it *may* be impacting his points production.

is this new Kuz worth his 7.8m contract? I don’t know yet. Need the full season (and the playoffs) to truly determine that.

Just my opinion (and said earlier, I think the points will come)

Which is why I said his 2 goals is only 2 goals off of a 30 goal pace so basically "nothing to see here".

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad