Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Strawman 1. I am saying that a player's overall face off % is a reliable indicator to his performance in critical face offs. Agree or no?

Yes, why wouldn't it be predictive of expectations over a large enough sample. Keep in mind his opponent also has a FO%, and if they match, then its a 50/50 thing.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
There's been a lot of bulldozing of FOs as a stat over the years. Just google "faceoffs hockey overrated" and take a trip down memory lane.

Sorry, but just some of the Rorschach inkblots related to stats and zones etc. that are posted here makes my head want to explode. I'm like Alan May when it comes to all of this, I rely on the naked eye. But it does stand to reason the importance of faceoffs taken in your defensive end, as you don't want to extend your opponents possession time in your defensive zone anymore than possible.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, why wouldn't it be predictive of expectations over a large enough sample. Keep in mind his opponent also has a FO%, and if they match, then its a 50/50 thing.

50 50 is acceptable when you are killing a penalty and lose 5 face offs in a row like the Caps have done repeatedly this season

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Backstrom's FO stats aren't pretty this season... 41.3% overall, 36.4% on the PK and only 27.3% on the PP. Maybe Oshie should take all the PP draws.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I really really like both Savard and Ekholm who are both rumored to be available, not sure where they would fit and who they would replace right now though

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Re: Schultz, what strikes me is he’s playing like the guy we hoped Djoos would become - defensively competent, good skates and good offensive instincts.
Just a little detail to add there: Schultz is like 1,5x thicker than Djoos :P

And I think Djoos was fine. Just physically weak.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Anyone who has seen/played enough hockey is going to tell you FOs can be key plays in a hockey game, and if you're not up to scratch then you're likely to lose the big ones, which is what really swings the pendulum against you.
That will be the truth for any team sport. Once you lost the ball/puck you need to spend extra energy to get it back. Its very simple.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I will die on the hill defending faceoffs being important.
Honestly, I think everybody roughly agrees on faceoffs. We all have the same understanding of which one is important, which one is critical and which one is irrelevant.

As a statistic it's junk, IMO. It's all lumped together into a single number and completely abstracted from game situation and the fact that the player who took the faceoff has to remain on the ice and play hockey immediately after. Faceoff performance is also completely integrated into much better statistics. If a team gives up the lowest amount of scoring chances in the league or has extremely low goals against average or expected goals against, than who cares what their faceoff percentage is? It's good enough.

Riddle me this. What's the difference between a defenseman going in to retrieve a puck on a dump in, engaging in a board battle and either coming out with the puck or allowing his opponent to establish posession VS a center taking a faceoff? IMO, the former is more important as it occurs with much higher frequency and the defensive team is never set in perfect alignment when it happens. Yet, the NHL tracks one of them religiously and if you track the other one, you are a fancy stat lover and don't understand the game of hockey.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Faceoffs matter drastically less than shot attempts shortly following a faceoff. In short, if a team gains clean enough possession to generate a shot attempt in the seconds following a faceoff, it was a meaningful faceoff. If the face off just ends in a battle between two wingers for the puck in the corner, it wasn’t particularly meaningful.

Team play also has more impact on faceoff win% than many like to realize. The center is credited with winning or losing the draw, but often time it’s the play of the wingers and D winning a battle for a 50/50 puck cleanly that ends up determining who actually won. Both the skill of these players and the strategies implemented by their coaching staff can impact faceoff win% of the centers.

Tyler Dellow had an exceptional article on this topic several years back. He showed how the Oilers made a change that increased their faceoff win%, but actually ended up giving up more shots against following faceoffs, and how that impacted their season performance. Unfortunately that article was deleted from his blog when the Oilers hired him to do analytics work.

Puckbase (formerly faceoffs.net) does still track post faceoff possession metrics. Each of Eller, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov have positive net shots post faceoff, and Eller is ranked quite highly. Kuzy’s stats are actually being propped up by really good D zone numbers (his neutral zone is exactly even and his offensive zone is negative), but he’s only taken 19 d zone draws this season so that’s still pretty noisy and not particularly reliable.
Post face-off possession- 2020-21 regular season - 2020 - Puckbase

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It seems like there are 2 different arguments here. One is the value of the generic FO stat, the other is the value of the FO "win" in general.

We can say nobody argues the latter but I think that's being generous. I have seen people use the stat issues to argue the FO is not that important. At least that used to be the case a few years ago. Maybe they've wised up since.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I dont mind this little 3 day break. Coming at a decent time.

edit -- with that said, having a game tonight would have been ideal timing for me ... lady is watching Flash and that Superman show tonight, so it would have been a great night to drink some beers and yell at the TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Another data point indicating that Kuznetsov has been good this season: he has been elevating Ovechkin's play. The contrast with and without Kuznetsov is drastic:

upload_2021-3-2_11-9-24.png
upload_2021-3-2_11-8-46.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad