Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think we can acknowledge him being a dick and that he’s a capable HC can’t we?

Scotty Bowman was famously dickish lol....
But people act like getting traded to his team is like a death sentence. I mean he made it work with Vinny, MSL, Khabibulin and Brad Richards although there might have been some bumps on the road and had a good, consistent team in New York. He also has done a good job in his CBj stint so far considering how tied up his hands have been in terms of having a competent roster. I guess if the guy isn't licking the big guys' boots like NBA coaches do these days, he's automatically toxic.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
But people act like getting traded to his team is like a death sentence. I mean he made it work with Vinny, MSL, Khabibulin and Brad Richards although there might have been some bumps on the road and had a good, consistent team in New York. He also has done a good job in his CBj stint so far considering how tied up his hands have been in terms of having a competent roster. I guess if the guy isn't licking the big guys' boots like NBA coaches do these days, he's automatically toxic.

I don't know that everyone thinks it's a death sentence as much as it's a you don't get the "superstar" treatment under Torts. You're expected to do the same mucking and grinding it out on his team if you're a 1st line franchise player or the 4th line plug. Eventually that's tuned out as seen by the burn out on each team he's coached eventually the players don't respond to it. When it comes to Laine in C-Bus I think the real question is, will he buy into all the little things that Torts expects regardless of your pay scale.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't know that everyone thinks it's a death sentence as much as it's a you don't get the "superstar" treatment under Torts. You're expected to do the same mucking and grinding it out on his team if you're a 1st line franchise player or the 4th line plug. Eventually that's tuned out as seen by the burn out on each team he's coached eventually the players don't respond to it. When it comes to Laine in C-Bus I think the real question is, will he buy into all the little things that Torts expects regardless of your pay scale.
I mean the only players known for having an open confrontation with him are Hank, Bob and PLD. All three acted like entitled little brats really. Bob even got called out by his friend on the Jackets Foligno for throwing his tantrums when they were fighting for the playoffs.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
That was my first thought as well, but then my CBJ fan friend pointed out that Torts was able to work effectively with Panarin. It's also Torts' last season under contract with CBJ.

Its also Laine's. And both could be gone.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Should rest Wilson tomorrow. We are going to need him for the Islanders series.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Avs fan, in peace. Saw you signed Craig Anderson to a 1 yr. Not worth the text it is written on, but Anderson has been one of my favs since he was with the Avalanche. I hope he does well for you when called. Glad for him too. Top shelf in all respects.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pinho is better than Eller and his suicide rushes and his selfish play any day
giphy.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Should rest Wilson tomorrow. We are going to need him for the Islanders series.

Guys that can play, dont rest. Wilson probably cant play and wont. I cant imagine that Wilson is able to play but with both Ov and Kuzy out of the lineup and they let him sit.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Guys that can play, dont rest. Wilson probably cant play and wont. I cant imagine that Wilson is able to play but with both Ov and Kuzy out of the lineup and they let him sit.

Yeah but if Tom really has a groin injury, those can become nagging. Would rather him rest it up. Even if it means a loss today. Its a short, condensed season so would rather have guys feeling healthy as possible for the sprint to the end.

I would also consider resting Chara today too. He looked pretty human on Friday. Rest the big man up. But I'm sure he is gonna play.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Pinho is better than Eller and his suicide rushes and his selfish play any day
Why. Why does every single post you make have to refer back to either Eller or Vanacek?

you are not readable. Do you get this? Or do you just not care?

even my 3 small children — only one of which can read, and have never been on this board — have somehow heard about how much you need to disparage Eller and Vanacek.

even they eye roll when you post. It’s sad.

it was an old schtick a long long long time ago. (mod delete)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah but if Tom really has a groin injury, those can become nagging. Would rather him rest it up. Even if it means a loss today. Its a short, condensed season so would rather have guys feeling healthy as possible for the sprint to the end.

I would also consider resting Chara today too. He looked pretty human on Friday. Rest the big man up. But I'm sure he is gonna play.

The short/condensed is a double edged sword. Every game is worth more. Right? If Wilson isnt ready which means if he is a risk to reinjure then he wont play. If he is good, the is going to play. I can see resting Chara but not with Orlov out. One end of a back to back makes more sense anyway

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why. Why does every single post you make have to refer back to either Eller or Vanacek?

even my 3 small children — only one of which can read, and have never been on this board — have somehow heard about how much you need to disparage Eller and Vanacek.

As you say, dont feed the trolls.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

backstrom too

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
The short/condensed is a double edged sword. Every game is worth more. Right? If Wilson isnt ready which means if he is a risk to reinjure then he wont play. If he is good, the is going to play. I can see resting Chara but not with Orlov out. One end of a back to back makes more sense anyway

Its true that the schedule is a double edged sword. But its still the beginning and as *bad* as we think we have played so far, the Caps are still #1 in the East. It just shows that as many flaws that this team has, everyone else has just as many flaws or even more so.

And no other team in the NHL has had a big of a handicap than the Caps this strange weird season, yet we are still one of the top teams in the league points-wise.

I think we are the only team in the league with a new head coach and a totally new system that we are still learning on the fly? With only a 10 day training camp and no preseason to boot to learn it?

Imagine if this team actually finally starts to come together at the end before the playoffs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad