Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 "Season" Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
why do we want this guy so bad? if Trots hates him and benching we thinks hes gonna be better then Kuz?
Not all of us do. Some do. Some don’t.

listen, he’s a helluva player. But his attitude is an issue. He’s still not even taking ownership of his crap demeanour on the ice.

he’s acting like an entitled child. Which is why I wouldn’t come close to paying what C-Bus will want for him.

hard pass

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think playing for Tortorella is probably a special kind of circumstance, particularly if you get in his wrath. Look, by all accounts DuBois came to camp with the right attitude – having asked for a trade, but committed to playing well and winning as long as he remained on the Blue Jackets. He’s refused to speak publicly, or with the team, about why he wants out – avoiding unnecessary tensions that plagued Panarin’s last season there. During game 1 it was newly-acquired Domi’s line that was benched, with DuBois giving it his all.

Something has clearly changed in the last game or two that we don’t know about. But I find it difficult to accept that it would be impossible for Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Vrana or any number of talented guys on our roster to not be described as having an ‘attitude problem’ if they were playing for Tortorella while trying to leave. DuBois has been pivotal in keeping his team afloat since Panarin left, and I haven’t seen any suggestion before this season that DuBois has an attitude or professionalism problem.

Frankly, you look at some of the stuff we’re dealing with on our roster – a disengaged Kuzy, suspension for cocaine use, reckless ATV accidents while the season is paused, breaches of COVID-19 rules – I’m not sure we’re in a position to talk.

Do I think DuBois is coming to Washington? No. Do I think a Kuzy-DuBois swap could work (for Washington, at least)? Yeah. Have I seen reason to think DuBois would be a bad presence in the locker room or lacklustre player if reasonably coached on a good team in a decent city? No.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
It was really a reach to imagine we can trade Kuzy with NTC to Columbus.
And we all knew here that getting top-6 C for Kuzy in the same deal would be very hard to do.

Also, CMM financially will work much better for Caps. Althought that's a big reach to imagine him top-6 C soon enough. I bet he can start to play as 3LW or smth. Panik, Sheary, Sprong and Hagelin won't hold him for long most probably.

Also, I like that Vrana is scoring. Although :P we know he can score in RS. I guess we cant analyze his game until actual playoffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I would like to see Jensen maybe sit for a game and put in TVR for a look. I think if McMichael is up to speed in practice, they should play him. Pinho was just skating around doing a lot of nothing last night

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
It’s the one area where I think GMBM made a mistake in not trying to pick up a FA this off season. Last season we had Boyd and, for a time, Stephenson on the roster or in the system who we could insert as 3 or 4C and them be serviceable. Picking up Sheary and resigning Sprong gave us a bit more depth on the wing, but in trading away CS and letting TB walk we really hindered ourselves by not bringing in a new #12/#13/#14 Center if CMM isn’t ready and one of NB/EK/LE/ND can’t play.

Were there really no fringe NHL centers available we could have put on our taxi squad? Nobody more NHL ready/impactful than a guy who scores at a 0.36 point-per-game rate in the AHL? A guy who wouldn’t be on the ice for 2 of our 3 goals against in the 7 minutes he played?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Wawaweewa

Roslovic is a dud but he could be one of those annoyingly effective wingers under Torts. Who is going to play center in Columbus? I think that leaves Texier and Domi as their 1/2C which doesn't seem ideal if you want to be a good team.

I imagine neither PLD or Laine are happy about this. Both were rumored to want to move to bigger markets and they essentially swap places to go to two of the least attractive destinations in the NHL.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Roslovic is a dud but he could be one of those annoyingly effective wingers under Torts. Who is going to play center in Columbus? I think that leaves Texier and Domi as their 1/2C which doesn't seem ideal if you want to be a good team.

I imagine neither PLD or Laine are happy about this. Both were rumored to want to move to bigger markets and they essentially swap places to go to two of the least attractive destinations in the NHL.

I think this is why, on paper, it seems like Winnipeg were robbed – Columbus might be in the same predicament six months from now, with a player needing a new contract who wants out. Winnipeg, on the other hand, at least get the assurance they've got a guy an extra season after this one.

Not sure which center moves to wing for Winnipeg, and unless Roslovic proves to be more capable under Torts than Winnipeg valued him as, doesn't this basically leave Columbus' center depth the same as last year but with a PLD > Domi downgrade?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
why do we want this guy so bad? if Trots hates him and benching we thinks hes gonna be better then Kuz?

Well, first....its Torts and not Trots having the fit. Trotz would never do that to a player and destroy a working situation. Its part of Torts bread and butter though.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So will we fantasize Kuzy for Barkov next? Obviously Kuzy will waive to hang out in sunny Miami with Bob. Snow in the beach!

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Wow, CBJ fleeces WPG, Laine (26% retained) + Roslovic for PLD.

I don’t know about that. Laine’s offensive production should drop significantly playing under Torts system and seeing a huge downgrade in line mates.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
8 out of 10 points starting with 4 in a row on the road, no losses in regulation, 1st place in the East and missing a large chunk of the starters for gm.5? I don't know but I think things could be a wee-tiny-bit-worse
Let's just fake it til we make it
and hopefully get at least 50% or more of the points the next few until we get the reunion tour of Willy And The Covids

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The hate Torts has been getting on this board over the years is laughable. Just look at the difference in how Panarin's and Bob's careers play out right now. The one who worked his ass off with CBJ and has become one of the premier players in the league playing under Torts is having a MVP caliber career on another team and the one who acted like a spoiled brat now can get bought out any day.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The hate Torts has been getting on this board over the years is laughable. Just look at the difference in how Panarin's and Bob's careers play out right now. The one who worked his ass off with CBJ and has become one of the premier players in the league playing under Torts is having a MVP caliber career on another team and the one who acted like a spoiled brat now can get bought out any day.

I think we can acknowledge him being a dick and that he’s a capable HC can’t we?

Scotty Bowman was famously dickish lol....

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad