Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021 Regular Season Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Did they say why? o_O
Something along the lines of they tried it at the start of the season but their TV setups within the bar weren't working correctly with the stream or wifi or something and the other bartender talked about blacked out games. Idk, sucks because the city has really embraced the team. Everywhere you go has kraken gear and the bars have kraken logos painted on the outside windows and stuff like that.

Jun 15, 2007
We might never ever be fully healthy though. Other guys will get injured as others come back.

That's why I think there's zero chance Schultz or Hagelin get moved in-season.

Offseason is when I expect Eller and Hagelin to be dealt. Schultz obviously won't be re-signed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s just say AJF replaces Hags. Just for shits and giggles.

so that leaves a 6m or so slot for a D-man. You don’t think they can find someone that is better than Schultz by using 6m? Heck, many would argue you could find better than Schultz for 3m or so.

so you’re suggesting a big $ D man to play 3rd pair, or are we shaking up a couple of pairs to accommodate this add?

I’m guessing a guy of that cap hit (who is good) will cost a 1st plus at the deadline…..

Feels like another potential Shattendeuce scenario.

I’m against tinkering and that’s what this all feels like given their record, but I’m also always up for a smart hockey trade if we can find one.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
In our last six games our defense has allowed one goal or less four times. And we want to play fantasy GM and trade people?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Haven't paid attention to fancy stats (nor care) on Schultz this season but seems to me he's been holding his own at worst, and been at least pretty solid and more than competent, getting around 17-18min./gm

I think Lavi/McCarthy deserve a lot of credit for getting this team all on the same page and playing a system

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Why do some posters care so much about cap space when we have 15mill on injury list we arent spending?

umm because the Caps wouldn’t have had to add assets to get rid of a player like Panik if they didn’t overpay for him and Hagelin for what they bring. Also, the Caps had to move on from Dillon because of the cap, it has worked out well so far but being tight to the cap and having bad contracts like Hagelin reduces flexibility.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
umm because the Caps wouldn’t have had to add assets to get rid of a player like Panik if they didn’t overpay for him and Hagelin for what they bring. Also, the Caps had to move on from Dillon because of the cap, it has worked out well so far but being tight to the cap and having bad contracts like Hagelin reduces flexibility.
We moved on from Dillon because he sucked provided no offense and took stupid penalties every game that cost us

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Haven't paid attention to fancy stats (nor care) on Schultz this season but seems to me he's been holding his own at worst, and been at least pretty solid and more than competent, getting around 17-18min./gm

I think Lavi/McCarthy deserve a lot of credit for getting this team all on the same page and playing a system

If you would have cared, the stats would confirm the eyes, that we would have been much better without him. TVR is somewhat concealing how much he sucks.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
so you’re suggesting a big $ D man to play 3rd pair, or are we shaking up a couple of pairs to accommodate this add?

I’m guessing a guy of that cap hit (who is good) will cost a 1st plus at the deadline…..

Feels like another potential Shattendeuce scenario.

I’m against tinkering and that’s what this all feels like given their record, but I’m also always up for a smart hockey trade if we can find one.
Let’s say Giordano. Just for fun. You think he’d somehow weaken the team? Sure, he’d prob cost a first, but?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interesting note from last night. The Sharks' crew said that Oshie came to the rink in his boot still. That he went from boot going into the locker room to skate coming out.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Let’s say Giordano. Just for fun. You think he’d somehow weaken the team? Sure, he’d prob cost a first, but?

I've seen some Giordano mentions here, and it might make sense on paper. I just wonder how the fit would be next to Carlson if you are replacing Fever with Giordano. One of the things that has helped pair Fever with Carlson (and Kempny with Carlson in 2018 and 2019) was the mobility. Giordano at age 38 isn't really known for that. And you aren't just going out to get Giordano for the 3rd pairing with TvR as the 5th or 6th defenseman. And not sure you want to break up the Orlov-Jensen pairing so soon right after they are reunited.

It's a tricky situation because Schultz is a 5th or 6th guy. An overpaid 5th or 6th dman, but still a 5th or 6th dman. If you are aiming for something higher, you are going to have to break something up in the top 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Demoting Fehervary and pushing TvR out of the lineup to play Giordano would make the team actively worse on 2 of its 3 pairings than it is currently.

Reactions: Nikopark

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Unless Fehervary falls apart or someone gets injured I don't really see a big move needed on the blue line. Maybe if they want a depth 7th guy or whatever that's fine.

If they are going to make a big move I think targeting a legit top 6 forward, either center or wing, makes more sense. I know it'd break some brains here but Filip Forsberg would be a perfect target if Nashville decides to move on from him. And everyone else knows my desire for Hertl if Backstrom can't perform at a top 6 level when he returns.

Their defense right now is great, but while the goal-scoring is there the offensive chance generation still leaves a bit to be desired. They're just middle of the pack in that category at 5v5, and for as good as Backstrom has been on the PP chance generation at 5v5 hasn't been his strong suit of late. For a team that has had dreadful scoring depth the past few postseasons I wouldn't mind loading up on a legit top 6 forward to try to help boost that.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Demoting Fehervary and pushing TvR out of the lineup to play Giordano would make the team actively worse on 2 of its 3 pairings than it is currently.

I think the idea would be to ship Schultz out in the same deal, slide TVR to 3RD, and put Giordano at 3LD. I haven’t been following Seattle so I’m not sure how Giordano’s looking right now, but as long as he’s not a shell of his former self Giordano-TVR would be an insane 3rd pairing.

That said, twabby’s probably right that if the Caps make a big splash at the deadline, it’ll be to replace one of Backstrom or Mantha if one of them isn’t back yet. Really starting to wonder if we might end up pulling a Kucherov with Backstrom. If he’s not back by the trade deadline, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia