Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Season Part 8: Off-season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Glad we have Laviolette and his dogshit 3-8 postseason record coming back.

Should really help the youngsters next year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At this point, I'd like to see the Caps double down on their approach from the latest post season. If they are going to focus on clogging up the neutral zone and limiting chances, let's get some players who are good at it.
Yeah, I think this is likely the most cost-effective route to at least remaining a playoff bubble team and retaining a somewhat viable puncher's chance. It needs to be an improvement over the likes of Johansson & Larsson, though. I could see them re-signing Johansson on the cheap, in part for PP1 duties, but I'm not sure I'd love it. Depends on the number and what else is done.

Some potential value UFAs in that regard: Marchment, Rodrigues, Perry, Lazar, Namestnikov, Mikheyev and Paul. Rodrigues would continue their former Pens fetish and be a fairly decent top-line fit if they want to go cheap while Wilson is out. Better than 90 anyway. Or Sheary. But none of them are centers really and they need a sort of jack-of-all-trades type at least as an economical Backstrom replacement. The time has very likely come to not bet on Eller being that guy for them. Time to get younger or generally attempt a different look.

They're going to need some smarter, high motor two-way forwards ASAP. If they gloss over that there's pretty significant downside that their aging players will routinely start getting their lunches taken. They don't need to load up on, like, just grit but they do need interior type two-way support players with strong positional layering and hockey IQ to stave off what could otherwise be some pretty bad defensive play. They need to shoot for upside and try to reinvigorated the team as well but it needs to be more strategic than just a particular name player. In an applied sense they have some pretty clear weaknesses I think and little in the way of internal solutions for those deficits. Hence IMO, why a prospect type package deal makes a lot of strategic sense. A Miller would need an extension to make it worthwhile but something along those lines.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Also, I am open to trading CMM in the right deal.

He is our top prospect and has the most value of our prospects, but, I would be willing to move him in the right deal/package for a young stud.

I see more in Lapi and Protas long-term for a variety of reasons.

Lapi - elite potential.
Protas - versatility, intangibles, and the size/skill combo that you can't teach.
Caps need to stop trading away their best prospects. Trading away CMM would be like trading away Forsberg. CMM, HL and Protas are players the Caps should be keeping to gel with guys like Kuzy, Wilson, Mantha, etc.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ah yeah so I guess if you don’t have the best guy in the league you can’t be effective? Orlov is more than capable of QBing the PP. He’s got great lateral movement, he’s a good passer, has a cannon of a shot, and can skate with the puck. He’s probably one of the 5-10 best LHDs capable of QBing a PP.

Mantha of course isn’t Kucherov but Mantha does have a great shot including a very good one timer, is a very good passer, is great at puck protection and retrieval against the boards.

They have the pieces there that have the necessary complimentary skills. The Tampa PP is pretty static as well and isn’t dependent on a lot of player movement. They open up lanes because they have shooting threats all over the ice but especially up top with Hedman, Stamkos, and Kucherov. It makes a ton of sense to try and emulate what they do because it’s not that different from what they already run.
Agreed to disagree..he makes you think he can at times, but he does NOT have the stuff to QB a top PP (as our system is designed). He would be a turnover machine in our setup IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Glad we have Laviolette and his dogshit 3-8 postseason record coming back.

Should really help the youngsters next year.
Well, he is not a miracle worker. Caps had one of the least talented teams in the playoffs. Too old too old too old. It will only get worse. I don't see many young stars in the organization.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Well, he is not a miracle worker. Caps had one of the least talented teams in the playoffs. Too old too old too old. It will only get worse. I don't see many young stars in the organization.
I think it’s pretty clear the Florida series should have been won. Beating them would have in no way required a miracle.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
You guys keep spending Backstrom's money like it's a given... Very optimistic.

OK, lets try :D

Trade for that f***er PLD (Dubois). Sign good winger of Nich level. Burn all villages around.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Thoughts on Spencer Carberry?

Lavi's system looked good in the playoffs, but, a coach going into the last year of his contract is really a lame duck coach.

I could see Carberry being a guy they bring in to go young and innovative with a coach, if Lavi starts the year off poorly or if they don't extend him after next season. Given the history he has here, it does make sense too.

Jun 15, 2007

Lavi's system looked good in the playoffs, but, a coach going into the last year of his contract is really a lame duck coach.

I could see Carberry being a guy they bring in to go young and innovative with a coach, if Lavi starts the year off poorly or if they don't extend him after next season. Given the history he has here, it does make sense too.

If we don't take him, someone will. Everyone is looking for their Jon Cooper.

I think Lavi sucks so I'm okay with getting Carbery.

Reactions: Misery74

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

Seems like a moot point. If they wanted to make that switch it would've happened already, right? Reirden was out 3 days after elimination, Oates was about two weeks after the end of the season. We're coming up on 4 weeks since the Caps were knocked out and Carberry's Leafs were knocked out a few days later, so they've had plenty of time. Unless they've got their eye on someone who's still coaching at the moment, I think Lavi's sticking around for another year.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Seems like a moot point. If they wanted to make that switch it would've happened already, right? Reirden was out 3 days after elimination, Oates was about two weeks after the end of the season. We're coming up on 4 weeks since the Caps were knocked out and Carberry's Leafs were knocked out a few days later, so they've had plenty of time. Unless they've got their eye on someone who's still coaching at the moment, I think Lavi's sticking around for another year.
I am talking about theoretically after next season or if Lavi is given the axe after a poor start.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Lavy's in the last year of his contract. Unless he goes deep in to the playoffs next season, I don't see them extending him. With younger players coming on board either Carbery or Jeff Halpern would be my choice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I am talking about theoretically after next season or if Lavi is given the axe after a poor start.
It's rare to have an assistant from another team as an in-season HC replacement. With Arniel reportedly out of contract and perhaps heading to Winnipeg the opportunity is there for them to think a bit more strategically about the make-up of the staff. Not that they won't involve Laviolette but it's a chance for them to perhaps go in the direction of an Associate Coach ala Reirden under Trotz. That was a promotion title but something along those lines could be viable.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What you trading for John Gibson....go.
Nothing. He's been bad for multiple seasons in a row. And it's not just his team, he's been outplayed seriously by Anthony Stolarz is each of the past two years and was playing even with the corpse of Ryan Miller the season before that.

Reactions: Kalopsia

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Nothing. He's been bad for multiple seasons in a row. And it's not just his team, he's been outplayed seriously by Anthony Stolarz is each of the past two years and was playing even with the corpse of Ryan Miller the season before that.
While I get this argument, I'm also weirdly comfortable betting on Gibson. Goalies are weird and the prevailing response to this from Anaheim fans is Gibson gets the tough starts and plays for a bad team. So i get that too. But yeah, i'd be okay trading for Gibson. If we run Gibson + Fucale, that probably costs the same as Samsonov / Vanecek assuming they are due $3-$4 mil. And certainly we could achieve similar results to this year if not better if Gibson hits. Not really liking much else out there.- Gibson is young enough that I can believe he has some good hockey left especially if a change of scenery motivates him

I'd give one of Samsonov/Vanecek, whichever they want, 46th overall, and a prospect.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
While I get this argument, I'm also weirdly comfortable betting on Gibson. Goalies are weird and the prevailing response to this from Anaheim fans is Gibson gets the tough starts and plays for a bad team. So i get that too. But yeah, i'd be okay trading for Gibson. If we run Gibson + Fucale, that probably costs the same as Samsonov / Vanecek assuming they are due $3-$4 mil. And certainly we could achieve similar results to this year if not better if Gibson hits. Not really liking much else out there.- Gibson is young enough that I can believe he has some good hockey left especially if a change of scenery motivates him

I'd give one of Samsonov/Vanecek, whichever they want, 46th overall, and a prospect.
Every #1 goalie gets the tough starts, and even the ones on bad teams usually outperform their backups, or at least come close. Stolarz beat Gibson's save percentage by 13 points, more than any other backup on a non-playoff team. If you sum the last two years, the difference is 15 points. Either Storlarz quietly developed into a top 10 goalie without anybody noticing, or Gibson's just been bad. Also, he'll be 29 in July and he's been consistently below average for the last three years (141 start sample), so betting on a bounce back really seems really risky to me, especially since he's got 5 more years at 6.4M left. If he doesn't bounce back that contract is an absolute boat anchor.

I agree that there's not that much out there, and everybody that might possibly be available has significant warts, but Gibson has some of the biggest warts of the bunch.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Every #1 goalie gets the tough starts, and even the ones on bad teams usually outperform their backups, or at least come close. Stolarz beat Gibson's save percentage by 13 points, more than any other backup on a non-playoff team. If you sum the last two years, the difference is 15 points. Either Storlarz quietly developed into a top 10 goalie without anybody noticing, or Gibson's just been bad. Also, he'll be 29 in July and he's been consistently below average for the last three years (141 start sample), so betting on a bounce back really seems really risky to me, especially since he's got 5 more years at 6.4M left. If he doesn't bounce back that contract is an absolute boat anchor.

I agree that there's not that much out there, and everybody that might possibly be available has significant warts, but Gibson has some of the biggest warts of the bunch.
Yes my reasoning isn’t exactly rational. I find myself okay taking that risk, but yes there are plenty of reasons not to. But if the cost is only one of the goalies + a 2nd, they should explore it.

If not, the most attractive free agents are probably Husso, Campbell, and Kuemper. All of whom may also be looking at 5 year contracts but also have had the benefit of playing behind some very good teams

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

23 starts for Stolarz
56 starts for Gibson

Stolarz has never played 56 games in a season. He has only played in 62 games total spread out over 6 seasons! But okay, if you want to say Gibson is not a good goalie then go ahead with your weak argument.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Gibson has the downsides of recent poor performance and a huge contract. I’d pass.

I still feel like James Reimer would be their best bet. He’s had solid numbers of late, is on a team friendly contract, and shouldn’t cost much in a trade. Aside from trading for like Connor Hellebuyck is anyone else really a better option than Reimer? Are Husso or Kuemper really better options? Is Gibson better?

It’s imperative that Washington makes multiple upgrades this offseason. They need a center or a top 6 winger, and probably a top 4 defenseman. If they spend all of their LTIR money on a mediocre goalie, they’re going to have to settle for bargain bin players at other positions while not really getting much better in net.

Reactions: RedRocking

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
I'm also on the Gibson train just because I think he's a great goaltender and I would bet on him finding his groove again on a team he genuinely thinks he can compete for a Cup with.

What I can't convince myself of is that this team is the team to turn him around.

I still like Talbot if he wants out.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Reimer is an okay option but he missed some time with injury this season and at 35 years old i'd bank on him missing some time.

Yeah this is definitely a fair criticism. There are not a lot of great options out there. Interested to see how it plays out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00