Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2021-22 Regular Season Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Minnesota is on the back end of a b2b tonight with Cam Talbot starting. Really no excuses for a poor effort tonight.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Theoretically, their bottom 9 tonight as constructed should be one of the best groups in the league. Top line will likely be an issue with both Mojo and Backstrom though.

It may just a nominal and perhaps 39-92-77 gets first line minutes, but the lineup tonight kind of just shifts the main weakness from the second line to the first line. Especially when you consider how much worse the Ovechkin-Backstrom duo has been than the Ovechkin-Kuznetsov duo over the last two years. To say nothing of Johansson’s “contributions” so far.

I am interested to see Larsson in the lineup. I didn’t realize how much Arizona and Buffalo fans liked the guy.

Reactions: caps4cup

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I get sitting McMichael against a team that has a fair bit of size up front between the GREEF line and Deslauriers but, uh, 90 is a 3LW at best. The sooner they grasp it the better but it's probably going to be a while.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Can’t wait until Laviolette is gone.
MaJo is finished, but Lavi loves his grinders.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Theoretically, their bottom 9 tonight as constructed should be one of the best groups in the league. Top line will likely be an issue with both Mojo and Backstrom though.
Interesting perspective…..hope you’re right….because depth can carry a team.

Reactions: DWGie26

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wouldn’t bet on that with Lavi. He heavily favours the vets even when they play like shit.
I think he’s going to be quick on the trigger for anyone who struggles. Eller I think is firmly in his crosshairs given he moved him to McMichael’s wing during practice last week. That was probably his last warning shot across the bow before he loses his spot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
(tests the air).…..yep….just about hot enough in here with Mojo hate that he might be good for 1+1, if karma has a sense of humor tonight….Let’s go Caps!

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Would be great to see Mojo get going. I think Lavi is really trying a lot of things to get that top line going.

Getting a true 1RW (righty) has to be on the offseason shopping list so Wilson (or Oshie) can slide to third line. Moving out Hags (retirement or LTIR), Eller (trade), and Schultz (FA) frees up a lot of cap space to do that. We need to address goalie situation and another defenceman but would like to see 1RW as top priority.

Reactions: RedRocking

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The more I thought about it the more I HOPE Lavi is just testing the waters to see who can do what. I don't know if these will be the lines in the playoffs and he probably doesn't, either. But you have to try some things and know for sure what DOESN'T work before the season ends.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The more I thought about it the more I HOPE Lavi is just testing the waters to see who can do what. I don't know if these will be the lines in the playoffs and he probably doesn't, either. But you have to try some things and know for sure what DOESN'T work before the season ends.
Definitely agree….nobody should be butt hurt over some lineup experimentation…lots to figure out still before the games really matter.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the main issue here is that a.) there's only a month left in the season and b.) the extent of their experimentation is going to be pretty limited ultimately. Do I really think a shocking name would be sat if they have a dip in play? I mean, really? I'm not sure Johansson is above being scratched but we'll see. I'm not sure I buy Eller getting scratched or, say, Sheary so as much as they may want to make it seem like there could be changes I don't expect much. AJF could get back in before McMichael either way. I'd at least hope that they think about the possibility of Larsson at center if he shows well, is dogged, etc. That should really be what's pushing Eller to be more effective at center. Given their tendencies that seems more likely than them going into the playoffs with McMichael centering a line.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
That 1st line has one thing in mind, force feed OV! Backstrom/JoJo are pass first players. I guess the coaches think 2 passers with OV will have him shoot the puck more. For me, put a better shooter on the RW to keep the opponents D and Goalie honest, allowing OV to not be the focus so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad