Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Comfortable punishments rarely work. There has to be some pain or people won't pay attention.

What if the punishment is too light? Say some guys are tired of playing and decide to screw around "oh who cares, if we get busted we'll just get a game off and a slap on the wrist". Then teams start going down and the schedule is decimated.

This is the price they're paying for not having a season in a full-blown bubble. They could always go back to that if following the rules doesn't suit, but then they'd get homesick again, wouldn't they?
Yep. I think the thing is a little goofy but it's hard to complain, especially if they were already warned.

The alternative is even stupider, where the NHL throws a fit and then does basically nothing.

Reactions: g00n

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There was a positive test and contact tracing led to the Russian players needing to quarantine.

It sucks but it seems like the right punishment so far.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
So we're going to need to replace for 4 games:

G Samsonov - check: Anderson
LW Ovechkin - check: McMichael
C Kuznetsov - check: Pinho
LD Orlov - check: Fehervary

Strap em up!

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Comfortable punishments rarely work. There has to be some pain or people won't pay attention.

What if the punishment is too light? Say some guys are tired of playing and decide to screw around "oh who cares, if we get busted we'll just get a game off and a slap on the wrist". Then teams start going down and the schedule is decimated.

This is the price they're paying for not having a season in a full-blown bubble. They could always go back to that if following the rules doesn't suit, but then they'd get homesick again, wouldn't they?

I guess I can get behind that. Still seems a little much but you’re probably not wrong.

either way, my point was before I knew there was a positive test and contact tracing brought them to these guys. so this is more justified IMO.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond

Strap em up!
I think Sheary goes in for Ovi as the existing 13th F. Siegs for Orlov. McMichael/Pinho for Kuznetsov

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I think Sheary goes in for Ovi as the existing 13th F. Siegs for Orlov. McMichael/Pinho for Kuznetsov

Ah yeah, I didn't mean on ice replacements, just a tongue-in-cheek comment about roster replacements. The "scabs" pretty much lol.

Edit: But if McMichael does somehow get on the ice and has a good showing, it could open possibilities for future roster construction.

Reactions: pman25

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
These next 4 games will be really telling for the rest of the season. If they go 0-4 it could really jeopardize the season.

On the other hand, if they can go 3-0-1 or 4-0, it could really show some will to overcome adversity.

Sucks to see Ovi out for 4 games after a lackluster (from a goalscoring perspective) first 4 games. Hopefully he comes out of this feeling like a beast.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Bunch of idiots. It's harsh but they knew the rules and didn't care. Simple as that.
Agree. Rules are rules and that's that. I'm more interested in what Nastya said about other players doing the same thing. Anyone know if any truth to that? If so then why are only our guys getting punished for this?

Reactions: Calicaps

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Im ok taking a penalty for breach of rules. Fine them. Suspend for a game. Whatever.

But if there is a positive test the guarantine should involve whole team. It doesnt make sense that only the guys who were on the hotel room have been exposed. Its whole team.

If its just punishing the fabulous four, then its way too much. They were not the only group hanging in a same hotel room. Selecting someone to make an example is bad parenting. Its unfair.

So either way, i dont like this at all. Suspend the whole team or noone.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Strap em up!

McMichael was just sent to the taxi squad, and Fehervary is still on it. It seems like they will be going with Sheary and Siegenthaler instead.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Something isn’t adding up. Would the positive player not been in contact at the rink with team? Not sure how NHL is handling travel, but wouldn’t being in a hotel also mean the rink too given the condensed schedule?

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Except the whole team didn't break protocol by hanging out in a hotel room...

Thats not the point.

If its 4 game penalty for breaching the rule, its bullshit. Way too harsh. Id take a warning and a fine. I could chew up one game as a penalty. Four games and 16 missed man-games on a shortened season is big penalty. This was not the first and only breach and making it an example and throwing down the hammer is unjustice and we got screwed.

If its guarantine because of a positive test, then its perfectly ok, but it has to involve whole team. They are closely exposed on locker room, bench and ice.

edit. So it is a positive test. Then whole team needs to guarantine, and preferably Pens too. Just guarantining four guys is asking for more exposions and will endanger much more games than 4-8.

Its not a great look on Sammy as he has had a rocky road to make his way to NHL, but having COVID is not a thing that you should blame and shame anyone. Its highly infective disease and anyone can catch it. Even the most careful of us.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
From Pell

Through the contact tracing process, the team and league learned all four Russians hung out multiple times together in a Pittsburgh hotel room during their road trip, according to one person with knowledge of the matter. At those gatherings, which violated NHL protocols, the players watched sports and played video games.

I really wish COVID would go away so things like this (what players do normally) wouldn't be under protocols but sadly this is the era we live in today :(

heartbreak

Jul 21, 2018
So why do all the other teams in virus protocol such as Carolina and Dallas get their games postponed with no real singling out of specific players but these guys get the 3rd degree?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Silver lining. Maybe this is why the Caps did so shitty on Tuesday night against the Pens? :sarcasm:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Something isn’t adding up. Would the positive player not been in contact at the rink with team? Not sure how NHL is handling travel, but wouldn’t being in a hotel also mean the rink too given the condensed schedule?
Yeah, the entire team plays without masks on the same bench. Its bizarre that they are mad 4 of them hung out in a hotel room. unless it involved non team personnel also hanging out with them.

If Samsonov tested positive, the entire team should be shelved

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So why do all the other teams in virus protocol such as Carolina and Dallas get their games postponed with no real singling out of specific players but these guys get the 3rd degree?

This is what really bothers me.

Its not right on individual level for the four players, and its definately not right for a safety-plan to get the season done.

They have to guarantine the whole team or they risk a lot more than 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad