Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No one is calling for him to be fired.

People are saying maybe we shouldn't defend every single move with "well I have faith in GMBM".

You know, a nuanced position.

Well if you can get the people that crap on every move as an immediate flop before even seeing how it plays out to stop it, maybe "IN GMBM WE TRUST" can also be stopped as a response....

I won't hold my breath... ;)

Reactions: Calicaps

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
For some it’s already here (@Melkor).

or maybe I’m misreading the mindset
You're correct, sir. Maclellan has done a pretty poor job last couple of years in pretty much every regard. Bad drafting, bad FA signings, been overpaying left and right on the trade market. He GOTTA be on a hot seat if you're Ted. "You won a cup, okay great, thanks for the contribution but since then you've been bad at your job". This is pretty much what Maclellan's been saying to most of the players from that cup team whom he got rid of. Not exactly these words but the message always something along those lines. We don't want you for the money you worth on the market, we would like to pay to other players. So why wouldn't Tedbe all about business too? I'm all for it. You gotta part ways in time, not when it's too late.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They’ve also successfully scouted Eller, Connolly, Dowd, DSP, Orpik, Oshie, Williams and Niskanen. Kovalchuk was awful. That was a bad one. But off of last years team, Hagelin has been a 35 point forward that has drastically improved our PK. He’s been what he has pretty much always been... not sure what people expect from him. Panik and Jensen also struggled upon their arrivals but got much better at the end of last season and both have some encouraging analytics as well. Gudas started off well but then fell off a cliff. He was low-key really good in Philly and Florida still believed in him enough to give him a decent sized contract. I’m willing to bet he would have been a lot better under another coach, but it is part of the scouting staffs jobs to assess the players fit into the team/system as well. Overall, I think they’ve done a pretty damn good job to be honest. Not perfect, nobody is, but I think BMac and the scouting staff have done a good job with their acquisitions.
I find it pretty ironic that everyone is now on the bash HCTR train (which is fine), but are now also questioning all the moves GMBM made and how those players performed under “Bashed HCTR”.

so which is it? “Bashed HCTR” made the players bad? Or GMBM and his pro scouts picked bad players for “Bashed HCTR”?

or let me guess — it’s both. GMBM picked bad players and “Bashed HCTR” was a horrid coach w a terrible system.

all the while the team still won Metro Flags each year.

ok, it all makes sense to me now.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
No one is calling for him to be fired.

People are saying maybe we shouldn't defend every single move with "well I have faith in GMBM".

You know, a nuanced position.

Well he's certainly earned the position of "ok prove me wrong" to signings and trades as opposed to the view of these signings are all bad before they set foot on the practice rink.

Nearly everyone crapped all over the Orpik and Nisky signings. Especially Orpik.

"Too much money"
"Way too much term"
"They'll be in cap hell at the end of that contract"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You're correct, sir. Maclellan has done a pretty poor job last couple of years in pretty much every regard. Bad drafting, bad FA signings, been overpaying left and right on the trade market. He GOTTA be on a hot seat if you're Ted. "You won a cup, okay great, thanks for the contribution but since then you've been bad at your job". This is pretty much what Maclellan's been saying to most of the players from that cup team whom he got rid of. Not exactly these words but the message always something along those lines. We don't want you for the money you worth on the market, we would like to pay to other players. So why wouldn't Tedbe all about business too? I'm all for it. You gotta part ways in time, not when it's too late.

No chance....like none. Miss the playoffs and we'll talk. Could certainly change fast but there's no hot seat for GMBM today IMO.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I find it pretty ironic that everyone is now on the bash HCTR train (which is fine), but are now also questioning all the moves GMBM made and how those players performed under “Bashed HCTR”.

so which is it? “Bashed HCTR” made the players bad? Or GMBM and his pro scouts picked bad players for “Bashed HCTR”?

or let me guess — it’s both. GMBM picked bad players and “Bashed HCTR” was a horrid coach w a terrible system.

One gets more rope in that regards. The one who put the pieces together in 2018, not the assistant coach. But he's earned his time to prove it was TR and not himself.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well he's certainly earned the position of "ok prove me wrong" to signings and trades as opposed to the view of these signings are all bad before they set foot on the practice rink.

Nearly everyone crapped all over the Orpik and Nisky signings. Especially Orpik.

"Too much money"
"Way too much term"
"They'll be in cap hell at the end of that contract
"

So, so true.....so many posters couldn't see past their noses. Was it tough to get out of either deal at the end when they became intolerable? Nope, yet people swore up and down that the length of those deals would be hell.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
No chance....like none. Miss the playoffs and we'll talk. Could certainly change fast but there's no hot seat for GMBM today IMO.
Agreed.

like it or not, Ted is *very* loyal to his GM’s. Witness decades for each one (Unseld, Grunfeld, McPhee).

GMBM is going nowhere anytime soon, unless he creates a personal mess or the team simply falls off a cliff (would need back to back missed playoffs, IMO, at minimum).

that’s Ted, for you.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Agreed.

like it or not, Ted is *very* loyal to his GM’s. Witness decades for each one (Unseld, Grunfeld, McPhee).

GMBM is going nowhere anytime soon, unless he creates a personal mess or the team simply falls off a cliff (would need back to back missed playoffs, IMO, at minimum).

that’s Ted, for you.
Loyalty is what prematurely kills contenders most of the time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Loyalty is what prematurely kills contenders most of the time.
Perhaps. But one can argue it’s what grows them into contenders in the first place. (GMBM is a good example of that....who knows where this team would be if the consensus “hot GM names” at the time were hired. I wanted Shero at the time, many wanted Nill or Fenton or Benning......so yeah).

it all cuts both ways.

Reactions: Melkor

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
And kneejerk reactions are what bad franchises make too often.
Somewhat true too. That said, I consider 2 years as a good enough sample size to look at the options you didn't look at previously.
So, so true.....so many posters couldn't see past their noses. Was it tough to get out of either deal at the end when they became intolerable? Nope, yet people swore up and down that the length of those deals would be hell.
To be fair they woudn't be able to get out of Orpik deal so easily now. The league wasn't happy with that buyout/sign again trick Maclellan pulled off. And let's be real Orpik looked pretty bad for the most part of that deal. He looked great in the cup run, wish he played like that all 5 years he'd been with the team but you look at how he performed throughout that timeframe and you can see why people were mad at that term and cap hit.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Somewhat true too. That said, I consider 2 years as a good enough sample size to look at the options you didn't look at previously.

I somewhat agree, but I think GMBM could have gotten McDavid at the trade deadline and we still would have lost to the NYI last year. It was like running into a wall over and over because we didn't know how to break it.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I somewhat agree, but I think GMBM could have gotten McDavid at the trade deadline and we still would have lost to the NYI last year. It was like running into a wall over and over because we didn't know how to break it.
Had he gotten a player of Mcdavid caliber everyone should have had their mouths shut about him right now. In that case he would've done everything in his power and then some and all the blame should have been directed towards baldy Todd. But the best player Maclellan was able to get via trade in his entire tenure here is Oshie who is pretty good but damn..5 years ago? Give me break.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lewington signs a league minimum one-year deal with Nashville. Nieto also signed for the minimum back with San Jose. Nieto signing for the minimum should be an eye-opener for any remaining unsigned depth forwards. Good depth player. There may be only about nine UFA forwards left that'll break six figures.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But the best player Maclellan was able to get via trade in his entire tenure here is Oshie who is pretty good but damn..5 years ago? Give me break.

I dont think I understand the hostility here. Oshie is the heart and soul of this team. Thats a primary get. Kempny was a brilliant move that probably won them the cup. Do they win if Djoos is playing Kempny's mins? Are we pooping on Connolly because it wasnt a trade? Realistically speaking, how many spots on this team have their been for a top player? The other 5 top 6 forwards are home grown. The other is Oshie.

I would say that the Grubauer for Orpik deal to get out from under the cap hit and keep the player was pretty smooth too.

Reactions: dh99

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Schultz only spent 23% of his ice time with Jack Johnson. That excuse is pretty over played.
And Jack Johnson is so bad that it still makes his season look much worse than it was. He was out scored 3-8 at 5’s with Johnson and out scored the opponents 27-25 without him. His xG% with Johnson at 5v5 was 41.5% and 52.39% without. You can say Schultz still isn’t great, but Jack Johnson is literally that bad.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

I think the players have been fine to be honest. I blame TR for a lot of the defensive problems though. The team was obviously a lot looser defensively (forwards included) under him. Guys like Gudas and Dillon were extremely strong defensively analytically before coming here and I think it’s pretty telling that those numbers immediately cratered once they arrived, same with Jensen. Beyond that, I just didn’t like the way the team played under him. Way too easy to play against and way too much cheating the game.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Free agency is a lot different this offseason. People can bitch about the Schultz signing all they want, but I’d like to see the player actually don a Capitals jersey before we dig his grave.

Schmidt wasn’t going to be had on the opening day of free agency for a 3rd round draft pick. That just wasn’t in the cards at that time because Pietrangelo hadn’t committed and signed with Vegas yet. GMBM *could* have sat on his hands and waited until yesterday to start his roster construction but folks here wouldn’t have been happy about it. He would have missed out on some other top 4 D options.

Barrie wasn’t coming to Washington. He took a discount because it’s a flat cap world and he wasn’t going to get a big deal. He knows he’ll most likely QB the Edmonton PP and put up ridiculous numbers with all the talent they have there and that’s just not something he’ll be able to replicate here with Carlson blocking his PP time.

The TVR and Hank signings are great value. LaDue is potentially great value as a buy low candidate looking at his overall numbers. The Dillon resigning is meh in my book. Would have liked him to come in a little lower but I understand it. The Schultz signing is a gamble given his injury history but it’s clear there was a plan to go after a player of his nature. It’s way too early to determine how this offseason shakes out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Had he gotten a player of Mcdavid caliber everyone should have had their mouths shut about him right now. In that case he would've done everything in his power and then some and all the blame should have been directed towards baldy Todd. But the best player Maclellan was able to get via trade in his entire tenure here is Oshie who is pretty good but damn..5 years ago? Give me break.
This is perhaps the most myopic post I've ever seen on HF... so bravo to you sir.

McDavid is great. And his team has been a pitiful disaster his entire career. Oshie is good. His team has been at the top of the league his entire tenure. Sure adding McDavid in a vacuum makes us better, until you consider what you give up to get him. And then you realize that team building is not just about piling up top names. See Vegas for example: they went the finals with an (admittedly solid) expansion roster, and have added fancy pieces each year since, but not gotten especially close again.

BMac is a team builder. He makes mistakes and he gets some things wrong, but he's adding pieces strategically not just chasing the shiny things. Schultz may end up being a bad choice... but he may also be a key piece in the puzzle. As for trades, Hagelin also was acquired in trade and instantly saved our PK. Jensen also is proving to be a solid trade, though it took him some time to find his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad