Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2020 Offseason Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest it’s super hard to judge the costs, we are likely going to move either Dumba or Brodin before the expansion. Brodin really likes it here so we’re confident in extending him. That brings the issue that he’s a lot more valuable to us than he is to a potential trading partner.

I’ve been looking around the league at contending teams who have quality C prospects and would be willing to part with them for win-now pieces. It’s brought me to McMichael, Morgan Frost, Peyton Krebs, and Ryan Suzuki. The other teams don’t a have a glaring defensive need so that brought me to your board.

But bottom line I don’t think either defensemen is getting moved without a quality C prospect/young player coming back.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
To be honest it’s super hard to judge the costs, we are likely going to move either Dumba or Brodin before the expansion. Brodin really likes it here so we’re confident in extending him. That brings the issue that he’s a lot more valuable to us than he is to a potential trading partner.

I’ve been looking around the league at contending teams who have quality C prospects and would be willing to part with them for win-now pieces. It’s brought me to McMichael, Morgan Frost, Peyton Krebs, and Ryan Suzuki. The other teams don’t a have a glaring defensive need so that brought me to your board.

But bottom line I don’t think either defensemen is getting moved without a quality C prospect/young player coming back.

The Capitals are severely lacking in prospects with offensive upside, so I'm not sure they would be willing to part with McMichael. Although, I think value wise that's a pretty fair ask (assuming there was some reasonable AAV extension in place for Brodin). Capitals can really use good skating defensemen that can help with exiting their zone.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Caps risk getting one season out of Brodin. You just arent going to get their top forward prospect. The Caps have a good list of left shot kid defensemen. You want one of those? We can talk. McMichael aint gonna happen.

Jun 15, 2007
We have no cap space. McJesus being a good player on an ELC is pretty much all the hope there is we have of improving the roster. That and the new coach.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We have no cap space. McJesus being a good player on an ELC is pretty much all the hope there is we have of improving the roster. That and the new coach.

Are you saying that the Caps cant keep Dillon? My take is that they can if they want to and that Brodin would make about what Dillon would. I actually dont think McMichael starts the season with the Caps, but I think Fehervary will and Samsonov unless something to do with his injury situation messes with that.

I am pretty sure there is going to be some roster culling that will open up some space. Kempny is gone. Panik or Hagelin could be gone. I suppose there is an outside shot that Eller gets moved. The new coach's player priorities might bring some roster movement. Were he to, say, demand 4 competent and established top 4 defensemen, then MacLellan is going to have to move some money off his forward group and into his defense group. That would mean a core piece might have to go. Oshie, Vrana. My guess is that the coach that gets hired will be able to sell that he can make the current cap structure work, but things could change

Reactions: LesDiablesRouges

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There’s a part of me that would entertain the idea of moving McMichael at what is likely his peak value as a prospect. Obviously he could have more value if he pans out in a couple years, but it’s unlikely he has more value at any point between now and when he truly establishes himself as an NHLer.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012

I knew it would be McMichael. When you search his name, he would be a lot on Wilds board. I personally hope that the Caps won't trade him. That would be another Forsberg like mistake imho, except this time we will be trading C instead of W.

Reactions: searle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There’s a part of me that would entertain the idea of moving McMichael at what is likely his peak value as a prospect. Obviously he could have more value if he pans out in a couple years, but it’s unlikely he has more value at any point between now and when he truly establishes himself as an NHLer.

To make the salary cap work, the capitals need to hit on some high production/low cap hit players. To trade a kid that could play several season with a cap hit below his production for one season of a veteran is malpractice. IMO, of course

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Watching some of the Mike Green Highlights videos posted today

We are really lacking that back door pinch play Carlson rarely does it

Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’ll screen cap it if anyone wants, but someone on an Athletic article asked Tarik if he thought a big move was coming he said (paraphrasing) “The top 6, Eller, Carlson, and Samsonov are safe, everyone else should keep their phone on them. Wouldn’t be surprised if a move happens that no one sees coming”

Orlov is the obvious man being left off that safe list.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Jun 15, 2007
I wonder if Arizona is desperate to shed salary and recoup picks now.

The OEL contracts looks bad. So does the Keller one.

Orlov+ for OEL?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I wonder if Arizona is desperate to shed salary and recoup picks now.

The OEL contracts looks bad. So does the Keller one.

Orlov+ for OEL?
OEL is their only marquee young name (Chychurn is still pretty under the radar and Kessel is bleh), I think management might be willing to eat that contract for a while until they get a more clear picture of their future.

Zona is a tough place because they need to try and make moves that also keep the team relevant with casual fans. Their GM rushed that rebuild and screwed them so bad before he bounced

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
5808D1FF-2C64-4CF8-BB40-3B12D5D56E8B.jpeg

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I’ll screen cap it if anyone wants, but someone on an Athletic article asked Tarik if he thought a big move was coming he said (paraphrasing) “The top 6, Eller, Carlson, and Samsonov are safe, everyone else should keep their phone on them. Wouldn’t be surprised if a move happens that no one sees coming”

MacLellan also specifically named Orlov when giving his own version of a list of solid pieces he thought they had in place. I would be shocked to see him traded. What seems more likely is they aren't sold on Jensen at 2RD and bring in someone to fill that spot and play with Orlov.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
MacLellan also specifically named Orlov when giving his own version of a list of solid pieces he thought they had in place. I would be shocked to see him traded. What seems more likely is they aren't sold on Jensen at 2RD and bring in someone to fill that spot and play with Orlov.
I think good GMs realize that ultimately you have to give up pieces you value to move forward. Bad GMs operate like HFBoard posters and are only willing to deal their trash.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I could see that, but I would think that might be sending the wrong message. When the team was struggling down the stretch Jensen was playing his best game. In the playoffs, he may have been the most consistant defenseman on the ice. If you are looking for compete level and then you ditch a guy clearly providing it....i dont know. Kempny......

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

That list plus Orlov is all I really want to stay. Orlov is in his prime, really would be a mistake getting rid of him IMO

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
That list plus Orlov is all I really want to stay. Orlov is in his prime, really would be a mistake getting rid of him IMO
You know all these trolls, Pens fans and the Holtby's Mom who are lurking here and ask us to trade our best value players like Orlov, Kuznetsov and Panik.

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
I am up to trading 2nd round or worse picks or B level prospects but I would not trade any of our top prospects. We need McMichael/Protas/Fehervary/our 2020-1 1st round pick. They let their contracts slide so they all have 3 year ELCs. We as cap-strapped team need one or two of these guys up in NHL for that duration if we want to improve our chances.

Just imagine if lets say McMichael and Fehervary play in NHL next season and perform + we get rid of at least one of our overpaid bottom 6 guys.

Reactions: 43sfriends and um

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Saw a report that Montreal might want to move Danault. He’s a great 2C, maybe make a move to get him, Backstrom at 1C, and see how Kuz works back as a winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad