Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 2: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Well....They didn't get a good offer because the player has questionable value and the team has no leverage.
I actually think this is a savvy move precisely BECAUSE they're willing to keep him, at least in the short term. We know BMac got calls from teams that were interested, but it seems they wanted to low-ball on the assumption that the Caps couldn't afford the QO. GMBM called their bluff. If they truly want the player, they have to pay to get him, otherwise he keeps Burk until he either earns his money or a better offer materializes. It's smart and creates leverage where maybe there wasn't any before. Any team with some cap room isn't gonna care about $3.25 for a year. Either Andre performs and they're happy with his hit or he fails and they let him go or low ball him next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalopsia

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who is going to take a failing Bura at 3.25 at the deadline?

A desperate team that needs players that give them a chance at some offense. By game 20 plans start to fall apart or hit the rocks with some teams.
Burt being owned $2.2m or something and available for cheap, somebody that would snag him off waivers would do it. No way he clears waivers

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Except he isnt 3.25 at deadline

Compared to a guy making 2.0 at the deadline he is. All the salaries are weighted, and unless he picks it up, his value will be low. Its a gamble, I get that, and some want to roll the dice. I'm ready to move on and use the money now on something more sound.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Well....They didn't get a good offer because the player has questionable value and the team has no leverage.

Or they didn't get a good offer because teams thought they'd get a shot at signing Bura for free after the Caps let him walk. They may have anticipated the Caps being in a greater cap crunch than they turned out to be in thanks to the Niskanen trade (Cali beat me to the punch again here!). Now that he's been given a QO, the Caps have leverage again. Teams that want Bura either pay a price MacLellan finds reasonable, or they don't get him. That sounds like leverage to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I actually think this is a savvy move precisely BECAUSE they're willing to keep him, at least in the short term. We know BMac got calls from teams that were interested, but it seems they wanted to low-ball on the assumption that the Caps couldn't afford the QO. GMBMHe called their bluff. If they truly want the player, they have to pay to get him, otherwise he keeps Burk until he either earns his money or a better offer materializes. It's smart and creates leverage where maybe there wasn't any before. Any team with some cap room isn't gonna care about $3.25 for a year. Either Andre performs and they're happy with his hit or he fails and they let him go or low ball him next year.

I think lots of teams were interested if he was a bargain dumpster dive player. Far less interested having to pay real assets and real money.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A desperate team that needs players that give them a chance at some offense. By game 20 plans start to fall apart or hit the rocks with some teams.
Burt being owned $2.2m or something and available for cheap, somebody that would snag him off waivers would do it. No way he clears waivers

So now we have gone from trading him because he is an "asset" and has "value" to comparing him to somebody on waivers? If bura is on his 6th year of not turning a corner, weren't not getting anything worth while for him. The only way I see this working is if GMBM works a steal, or we use the 3.25 elsewhere. My faith that Bura proves me wrong is gone.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I hate being wrong about keeping Bura more than I hate them having done it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Calling @calicapsfan — who isn’t angry, bitter, old or a man. :hyper:
You're sweet. I'm definitely old but I'm no longer bitter because

0071806074358_Stanley_Cup_Gm5.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Well then why would they want Burakovsky?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I never would have thought their plan was to just return the same team minus Niskanen and Connolly.

That's not what "go for it" means to me.

I hope there's a major move coming but I don't see it.

Well, they did add Gudas....so there is that. But your overall point isn’t wrong.

However.....there is a lot of time left in the off-season. So let’s see what happens.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think lots of teams were interested if he was a bargain dumpster dive player. Far less interested having to pay real assets and real money.
Probably somewhat, although he's still young and he plays on a team that's trying to win now where he doesn't get PP time or extended opportunities with skill players. Obviously he hasn't exactly earned either, but he hasn't had much chance to grow in those roles either. A building team might have some patience on the assumption that the possible upside is worth it. Hell, BMac even said they think his upside is too valuable to sell him low and he's apparently following that statement up with commensurate action.

Well then why would they want Burakovsky?
:eyeroll:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Bura was good the last half of the year, I don’t mind keeping him. Some people are so entrenched in their Bura trade/hate that they never re-evaluate him, he was a fine asset from January onward.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't fully buy into the trade option unless Bura is part of a bigger "all in" deal at the TDL. Very hard to make a standalone hockey move prior to that when he isn't playing well because his value is low. A TDL move involving same player who's pending UFA doesn't seem like it helps anyone else so he becomes a trade chip for a bigger pot. And if he's playing well by that time, raising his value enough for a trade, you probably want to hold on to him for the playoffs (whether you think that way now or not, it will change by March or so).

This is the same thing we went through with Semin and Green for years.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wouldn't you rather have the 3.25 in cap space though?

I’m not sure. Depends what is done with it. If it turns into say, 5yrs of Jack Johnson....then I’d far rather Burakovsky at 1yr. See what I mean?

And frankly...you may still get that 3.25 slot opened up if they trade him, AND get some asset back for him in return.

I think you are assuming he’s on the opening night roster, which while certainly is far more feasible now than had they not QO’d him, if far from a certainty overall.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I don't fully buy into the trade option unless Bura is part of a bigger "all in" deal at the TDL. Very hard to make a standalone hockey move prior to that when he isn't playing well because his value is low. A TDL move involving same player who's pending UFA doesn't seem like it helps anyone else so he becomes a trade chip for a bigger pot. And if he's playing well by that time, raising his value enough for a trade, you probably want to hold on to him for the playoffs (whether you think that way now or not, it will change by March or so).

This is the same thing we went through with Semin and Green for years.

Except Semin and Green occupied much more vital parts of the team than Burakovsky does. Both were more expensive.

The Caps are in an infinitely better place. We're all hand wringing and jabbering about a 3RW. We had much bigger problems in those days.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Except Semin and Green occupied much more vital parts of the team than Burakovsky does. Both were more expensive.

The Caps are in an infinitely better place. We're all hand wringing and jabbering about a 3RW. We had much bigger problems in those days.

Yes, I know by orders of magnitude it's not the same, but it's comparable and the trade options are similar.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Bura gives more flexibility than Mojo for example. He's younger and better shooter. With less cap to work with it's maybe even better option.

Now if they could snatch Poolparty guy and sign him for about 1M...

3,25 is more than I expected but he's still a Capital. Trying to sign Bura without QO was a risk, 3,25M is almost 100% certain option.

62-20-65 is capable 3rd line in theory. Not the end of the world.
Oilers qualified Pool Party...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I can’t recall. Can a player start the season on LTIR, ie kempny, or do they have to start the new season below the cap first, then place on LTIR right after?
They can start the season with a player on LTIR. See the Nathan Horton and David Clarkson contracts.
However, they can never go more than 10% above the salary cap during the off-season (where no LTIR exemption exists).

Reactions: HSHS

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bura was good the last half of the year, I don’t mind keeping him. Some people are so entrenched in their Bura trade/hate that they never re-evaluate him, he was a fine asset from January onward.

He had 5 points from March 1st on, he was the suck. For perspective, in that same time span Boyd (800k) had 4 points, Dowd (65ok) had 6 points, Connolly (1.5) had 11 points. All three, with 450k to spare better than Burakovsky. ;)

He was a fine player if he made a million per, or even two million per, at 3.25 he is a horrible waste of cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad