Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019 Offseason Pt. 2: The BMac Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I am not sure where you see the leverage. The Caps either want to keep Burakovsky or they want another player that they cant get unless they trade Burakovsky. At which point they have no leverage.

The leverage is that they can always choose to keep him. Why do you think it's an either/or, where they're either dead set on keeping Bura or dead set on trading him? Why can't the Caps look for a trade while also being fine with keeping Bura if they don't find a deal they like?

Reactions: calicapsfan

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I'm kinda bummed cause I think Vrana is gonna bust out this season and really want them to lock him up long term on the cheaper side while they still can.

Looks like cheap bridge will be all that's possible. :(

There was only a slim chance at a long term deal anyway. Vrana didn't want to do that, and I don't blame him.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I never would have thought their plan was to just return the same team minus Niskanen and Connolly.

That's not what "go for it" means to me.

I hope there's a major move coming but I don't see it.

Who said "go for it" though? I think Bmac's comments are more of the "we like our team, we'll keep this together as long as we can compete with it"... big splashes were pretty much over after 2017 when they "went for it" and failed badly, then lost Alzner, Shatty, Williams etc, and ended up replacing them with untested rookies in places.

I think for the Caps for the foreseeable future, we won't see any splashy additions, only subtractions when it makes sense. Just like 207/18, it will be up to kids to step into roles for the Caps to truly improve.

Jun 15, 2007
Who said "go for it" though? I think Bmac's comments are more of the "we like our team, we'll keep this together as long as we can compete with it"... big splashes were pretty much over after 2017 when they "went for it" and failed badly, then lost Alzner, Shatty, Williams etc, and ended up replacing them with untested rookies in places.

I think for the Caps for the foreseeable future, we won't see any splashy additions, only subtractions when it makes sense. Just like 207/18, it will be up to kids to step into roles for the Caps to truly improve.

Elliot Friedman said it.

We don't really have any kids to step up. That's actually most of the problem.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The leverage is that they can always choose to keep him. Why do you think it's an either/or, where they're either dead set on keeping Bura or dead set on trading him? Why can't the Caps look for a trade while also being fine with keeping Bura if they don't find a deal they like?

They did choose to keep him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Because Burka is waaaaayyy overpaid at 3.25. :dunno:
You're overstating it. It's just 1 year. If he fails you trade him a the deadline or let him walk in the offseason. It's not a catastrophe and given that it's just 1 year, I's bet it's pretty tradeable to a rebuidling team right now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You're overstating it. It's just 1 year. If he fails you trade him a the deadline or let him walk in the offseason. It's not a catastrophe and given that it's just 1 year, I's bet it's pretty tradeable to a rebuidling team right now.

I will be clear, I don't want to watch Burakovsky playing another season or half season at his cap hit.

3.25 for his ten good games just doesn't do it for me. I wish they had moved him at the last trade deadline, or at the draft, or today, or tomorrow.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I will be clear, I don't want to watch Burakovsky playing another season or half season at his cap hit.

3.25 for his ten good games just doesn't do it for me. I wish they had moved him at the last trade deadline, or at the draft, or today, or tomorrow.
I'm clear that's your view, and I'm not a huge Burkie fan either, but given where they are now and that they still think he has potential, from an asset management position this is the right move.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm clear that's your view, and I'm not a huge Burkie fan either, but given where they are now and that they still think he has potential, from an asset management position this is the right move.

Wouldn't you rather have the 3.25 in cap space though?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

He's just keeping Leason's seat warm :nod:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I kind of think MacLellan will go the first 20 games and see if Burakovsky gets any traction. If he does, he can roll with it. If he doesn't, the can try to move him in a change of scenery trade to a team that is looking for answers. The Caps can then fill that hole at the trade deadline with a pending UFA

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Wouldn't you rather have the 3.25 in cap space though?
Not necessarily. Either the front office doesn't see another 3RW option at that price point or less that they like more or they're interested in trading Burt for a target. For all we know, there's the framework of a deal in place already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Too bad our PP is so one dimensional that we cannot get Bura out there to artificially inflate his point totals. And then trade his ass, of course.

I sure hope he uses Conno as a blueprint of what he needs to do to, to get better. SHOOT THE GLASS.

Get off quick shots at every chance to get some goals and build up his confidence. The guy has to shoot, plain and simple.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I kind of think MacLellan will go the first 20 games and see if Burakovsky gets any traction. If he does, he can roll with it. If he doesn't, the can try to move him in a change of scenery trade to a team that is looking for answers. The Caps can then fill that hole at the trade deadline with a pending UFA
A totally plausible scenario. They might even give some kids a chance in Burk's spot for a while and see if anyone rises to the occasion.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Last four seasons, first twenty games of Burka:

'18-'19 - 4 points, 2 goals
'17-'18 - 8 points, 3 goals
'16-'17 - 10 points, 2 goals
'15-'16 - 6 points, 2 goals

Avg. just under 13 minutes a game. We've seen the movie, we know how it ends.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A totally plausible scenario. They might even give some kids a chance in Burk's spot for a while and see if anyone rises to the occasion.

If Burt is traded at Thanksgiving and not replaced until Valentine's Day, there are many games to try some young guys. Pick up a waiver guy too.

Its also true that Burakovsky can go solid thru 20 and then go goalless for 25 games and get traded then. With him that could happen anytime

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So why do you think they have no leverage in a Burakovsky trade then? They're leverage is "if we don't like the offers we'll just keep him."

Well....They didn't get a good offer because the player has questionable value and the team has no leverage.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last four seasons, first twenty games of Burka:

'18-'19 - 4 points, 2 goals
'17-'18 - 8 points, 3 goals
'16-'17 - 10 points, 2 goals
'15-'16 - 6 points, 2 goals

Avg. just under 13 minutes a game. We've seen the movie, we know how it ends.

Never said that I expected a different show.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Elliot Friedman said it.

We don't really have any kids to step up. That's actually most of the problem.

This is true. We could afford to let Alzner/Shatty/Williams walk because we had more options behind them. Years of drafting in the 30s, and being buyers in the offseason/deadline have dried up the pipeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad