Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 5: 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom is playing more like a 52 year old rather than a 32 year old, that contract extension is not looking great at this moment.

If Backstrom can produce a point per game at 50, that would be excellent. The Caps scored 3 last night and 2 were a direct result of Backstrom's play. I think this change is about trying to get Kuzy and Vrana going.

Reactions: Heath

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The team has not been exposed. They have lost their way. If they play their game, they are a cup contender. They just need to get it done.

For whatever reason fans want teams to bring the pain. Bag skate the team. Bench guys. Scratch guys. Send guys to the AHL. Trade guys. Fire guys. Make them hurt. It has worked in the past but usually it doesn't.

There are better ways to work off your fear and frustration

Firing guys has worked plenty. Has to be the absolute right move though.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
You missed the two breakaways and that he only played 11 mins last night? He was benched for sucking. That's why he is out. I didn't get the feeling that Siegenthaler was a long term scratch. Just the one game. Gudas stubbed his toe and gets nachos. Kempny meanwhile got a boost after that game and played 19 mins. So, I would suppose that the coaches thought the trouble that pair had was Gudas. Its for sure that the coaches didn't see Kempny/Gudas as the best pair last night.
The two breakaways were for sure a problem. But after that, they were pretty solid and were easily the best possession pairing on the night. Carlson and Orlov were the main problems last night among the defensemen, along with Dillon who I won’t throw under the bus yet as his partner last night had a rather questionable effort. Obviously 74/9/4 aren’t getting scratched and Jensen continued his better play as of late. Kempny had a strong game as well so I guess it was a tough decision as to who to sit out if they wanted Siege back in. I just see Gudas being hard to play against, effort is constantly there and he defends the net front well, all things that TR has said they need to improve. Maybe Bmac wants Jensen to play if he is in fact thinking about trading him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The two breakaways were for sure a problem. But after that, they were pretty solid and were easily the best possession pairing on the night. Carlson and Orlov were the main problems last night among the defensemen, along with Dillon who I won’t throw under the bus yet as his partner last night had a rather questionable effort. Obviously 74/9/4 aren’t getting scratched and Jensen continued his better play as of late. Kempny had a strong game as well so I guess it was a tough decision as to who to sit out if they wanted Siege back in. I just see Gudas being hard to play against, effort is constantly there and he defends the net front well, all things that TR has said they need to improve. Maybe Bmac wants Jensen to play if he is in fact thinking about trading him.

Gudas barely played last night after the 2 breakaways. I don't think it was a tough decision for them at all.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Gudas barely played last night after the 2 breakaways. I don't think it was a tough decision for them at all.
But Carlson played 25 minutes and was a complete liability. The top 2 lines also played much more than the 3rd line even though they were by far the best line on the team. Would like to see a little more accountability from Reirden. The top guys play no matter what even when they don’t deserve to. When Eller is a beast last night there’s no reason he should only play 15 minutes and less than Kuznetsov who was awful.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If it's at the rumored price of Backes+1st that probably takes them out of the Kreider/Palmieri race then.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But Carlson played 25 minutes and was a complete liability. The top 2 lines also played much more than the 3rd line even though they were by far the best line on the team. Would like to see a little more accountability from Reirden. The top guys play no matter what even when they don’t deserve to. When Eller is a beast last night there’s no reason he should only play 15 minutes and less than Kuznetsov who was awful.

These players have jobs. They have areas of the game they are responsible for and where there is little or no option. You are behind by a goal in the 3rd period and you need to win the game and you are going to bench Carlson? In favor of who? Who brings that offensive game in his place? If Kuzy is having a rough game, you give his ice to Dowd?

Reactions: Heath

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
These players have jobs. They have areas of the game they are responsible for and where there is little or no option. You are behind by a goal in the 3rd period and you need to win the game and you are going to bench Carlson? In favor of who? Who brings that offensive game in his place? If Kuzy is having a rough game, you give his ice to Dowd?
Carlson is definitely tougher because Orlov is the only other offensive Dman. But maybe when Carlson looks like he doesn’t give a damn defensively like he did last night, you don’t play him as much 5v5 when the game was tied or the Caps were leading. And maybe you let Orlov play the 6v5 at the end. Maybe not, but with how poor his effort was last night I would think you cut his minutes somehow, no?

As for Kuzy that’s pretty easy. Give his ice time to Eller. Eller’s line should be playing more in general anyways with how well they have been playing as of late. They’ve been the only consistent line.

There’s been very minimal changes to lines, competition for ice time, etc. I don’t think rewarding players with more ice time for playing well is a bad idea, neither is punishing players that are playing lackadaisical.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
When trends persist way past lulls it's time to think bigger than just one game. Immediate gratification-ing their way through the season is just going to get them bounced fairly early against a more determined, stout opponent.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Do you guys think we should move for Palmieri/Kreider? It would obviously cost our first but honestly thats a sacrifice I'd be willing to make it helps right this ship and lead us to a cup

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Do you guys think we should move for Palmieri/Kreider? It would obviously cost our first but honestly thats a sacrifice I'd be willing to make it helps right this ship and lead us to a cup
I would rather them trade for Saad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson is definitely tougher because Orlov is the only other offensive Dman. But maybe when Carlson looks like he doesn’t give a damn defensively like he did last night, you don’t play him as much 5v5 when the game was tied or the Caps were leading. And maybe you let Orlov play the 6v5 at the end. Maybe not, but with how poor his effort was last night I would think you cut his minutes somehow.

Maybe. When you are in a 1-1 game past halfway and you need to win and there are not power players, you leave your best offensive defenseman on the bench. You would do that? Maybe not

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When trends persist way past lulls it's time to think bigger than just one game. Immediate gratification-ing their way through the season is just going to get them bounced fairly early against a more determined, stout opponent.

Ok....and? You mean this in what changes specifically?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ok....and? You mean this in what changes specifically?
Holding all players accountable...not just the fringe like Gudas, Kempny and Siegenthaler. Rewarding Hagelin, Eller & Oshie when they're significantly giving more shit than anyone else. In short, having a sense of who is actually going rather than the same old complacent slop that results. Otherwise there becomes less incentive for those busting their ass to keep that level up.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sure. I would trade Fehervary and a 1st for Kreider if it resulted in a cup. Understanding that under the best of scenarios means not winning the cup is the most likely, then probably not.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd still want a stabilizing 2RD addressed via moving the first rounder over a forward. Their fundamentals are bad. They're way too easy to play against. Fix that further or else it's just going to be a lot of run-and-gun garbage.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
I'd still want a stabilizing 2RD addressed via moving the first rounder over a forward. Their fundamentals are bad. They're way too easy to play against. Fix that further or else it's just going to be a lot of run-and-gun garbage.

what 2RD is even on the market right now?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holding all players accountable...not just the fringe like Gudas, Kempny and Siegenthaler. Rewarding Hagelin, Eller & Oshie when they're significantly giving more shit than anyone else. In short, having a sense of who is actually going rather than the same old complacent slop that results. Otherwise there becomes less incentive for those busting their ass to keep that level up.

How does that work? I get your point but do you really want to give Ov's ice to Hagelin if Eller's line is going? The way the team is structured, I seems difficult to do what you have in mind. What am I not seeing?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
what 2RD is even on the market right now?
Manson, though they'd need to be blown away to move him. Maybe Severson. Ristolainen won't cost that much. Petry but I'm not sure he's altogether what they need even if he'd be a definite upgrade.

Upgrading their skill up front would be easier but if that's the direction they need to go there 100%. If they're admittedly a weak defensive team then further emphasize strengths rather than just, uh, show up and play. Plenty of teams can have trouble defending but what are their strengths? What are they working on improving aside from this very obvious weakness? Is that really all that's wrong? A largely MIA top six is also quietly pretty concerning. They're just essentially playing to get through the season and missing tons of opportunities along the way to fundamentally improve. I don't know if they've tuned out the staff but there also doesn't really seem to be anything happening differently aside from some minor PP tweaks at times and an increasing sense of staleness. It makes for all of the elements needed for a shake-up trade but it's also hard to evaluate anyone individually when their team play is so poor.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How does that work? I get your point but do you really want to give Ov's ice to Hagelin if Eller's line is going? The way the team is structured, I seems difficult to do what you have in mind. What am I not seeing?
I'd find a way to play him and Eller more, yes. Whether that means 13/8/19/92, so be it. Performance can't just determine who sits on D among the bottom half of the roster. Otherwise ineffectiveness and softness gets called out but very little actions align with it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Manson, though they'd need to be blown away to move him. Maybe Severson. Ristolainen won't cost that much. Petry but I'm not sure he's altogether what they need even if he'd be a definite upgrade.

Upgrading their skill up front would be easier but if that's the direction they need to go there 100%. If they're admittedly a weak defensive team then further emphasize strengths rather than just, uh, show up and play. Plenty of teams can have trouble defending but what are their strengths? What are they working on improving aside from this very obvious weakness? Is that really all that's wrong? A largely MIA top six is also quietly pretty concerning. They're just essentially playing to get through the season and missing tons of opportunities along the way to fundamentally improve. I don't know if they've tuned out the staff but there also doesn't really seem to be anything happening differently aside from some minor PP tweaks at times and an increasing sense of staleness. It makes for all of the elements needed for a shake-up trade but it's also hard to evaluate anyone individually when their team play is so poor.

I have believed from the beginning that Jensen was the key cog in the roster structure. If Jensen failed they would be in trouble, and they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad