Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 4: 2020, Act II, Scene II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Still think stealth add is Namestnikov who is UFA, will have a very low cap hit if retained and can play all 3 F positions and all 4 forward lines. There is also a potential to extend him, so the money will be spent better than in Kreider trade.

Kovy is old, he would be effective half the games maybe and requires a center like Backstrom I guess, which maybe wont happen with Reirden. Marleau is a better fit imho, you place him with Eller and hope for the best... But why do this if you can get a better younger player?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If Dillon is extended GMBM can trade RFA Siege next summer (before ED). To get either middle-6 F or right handed D.

Just another interesting option.

No chance I give up on Sieges. He’s shown so much at a young age this season.
He should still be considered core moving forward.
I’m not sure if he needs to be protected from Seattle, that will be another Nate Schimdt waiting to happen

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
There are 3 slots for protection. While Siege is nice player to have in the future... Dillon is better. And the future is already murky. Its a tradeoff for the last years when Ovi is effective.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also

Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway sounds like a solid defensive/energy line. Do you still think Reirden won't depend on it?

Kovalchuk-Backstrom-Panik sounds a lot like what Backstrom should be ok with. A player like Ovechkin and solid workhorse on the right side.

That leaves Vrana-Eller-Oshie, and one of these lines should be a mismatch for every opponent.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
After thinking hard and long (2 minutes) this is my last suggestion for defense:

Dillon-Carlson (NA big guys 1st pair)
Orlov-Vatanen (North Euro finesse 2nd pair)
Kempny-Gudas (Czech aggressive 3rd pair)

Depth: Siege, Djoos, Fever, Lewington

PS: Epic 1st round flameout.

Reactions: RandyHolt

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't know why people seriously talk about getting kreider. There's no way that out of all teams rangers would choose the capitals as a partner for that trade. Stop it. Also a 1st+ for a guy who most definitely gonna walk after the season is a pretty desperate move. Those assets could easily be spent after the season for a legit right defenseman.
I agree but there also was a report yesterday that they were talking to the Islanders about Kreider. Never thought that would happen. Rangers can move him, acquire assets, then re-sign him once the season is over if they really want to

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought we were talking about Orpik

No we were talking about how I hated our soft ass defense. You countered that our team had actually hit in the previous game. Which means nothing with the nervous players upping their games around deadline day every year.

And BOOM BMac strikes and added size and toughness to our defense 12 hours later. If our D cannot do their assignments, at least man up and physically confront the fearless forwards. Sorry but an Orlov hip check once every 10 games was not cutting it.

Reactions: racingmoose

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think the team needs a one more competent offensively forward. Hagelin's having a hot stretch but would you bet on him to provide a timely depth scoring in the playoffs? I wouldn't. Panik? Let's face it. He's had a couple of moments during the season when hes shown an upside of his game but overall picture is pretty bad. Anytime I see him he seems like he has no clue what he needs to do with the puck, where to be to get it and make things happen. I would even say there's no clear picture of who he is on this team. That's when you can say for sure that the player just not a fit. Vrana...People seem to go even as far as calling him a star based on his 5 on 5 contribution but the guy goes 20 games red hot and the same amount ice cold. Do you have any idea what type of Vrana you gonna get when it matters? I don't. His playoffs stats don't look good either. Oshie..I like him but the guy is prone to injuries and seems to choose a pretty bad timing for getting hurt. It's a common thing for him. You gotta be prepared for that because he plays a big part on this team. Ovechkin is good most of the time but he's old, one of these years he won't be able to perform the way he is supposed to as a best forward of the team and if they have this same offensive depth when that happens they can forget about the cup. I'm not even talking about a still obvious need for a 2RD.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be pretty surprised if we're done. I think there's a forward acquisition coming.
I just don't expect it to involve Jensen moving out for cap reasons and it being a big splash. I guess we'll see what their plan is for the defense today in practice but I expect a cheap depth forward. Nate Thompson, Derek Grant and Patrick Marleau all fit from a cap standpoint. (As does Kovalchuk but I don't tend to think they pay that price.)

With retention and AHL assignment or waivers they could afford options like Pageau, Lewis, Fast, and Girgensons but, at least with the first one, there's cost to consider. Maybe they go as high as their second rounder in '21+Johansen for Pageau? He's the most sensible and manageable top nine fit I suppose.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I've read somewhere that unless they get blown away by the offer Habs won't trade Kovalchuk. They really like him. And that standpoint makes sense. They're the only ones who gave him a chance despite those stupid rumors about his attitude and him being washed. Now everyone sees it's not true and they have to trade him for peanuts? Yeah no.

Reactions: max21

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I've read somewhere that unless they get blown away by the offer Habs won't trade Kovalchuk. They really like him. And that standpoint makes sense. They're the only ones who gave him a chance despite those stupid rumors about his attitude and him being washed. Now everyone sees it's not true and they have to trade him for peanuts? Yeah no.

After his initial burst Kovulchuk has cooled off considerably. They would be smart to jump ship asap. They could smartly come out a big winner like they did with Scandella.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Further on Pageau, though, is they'd need to up that offer of a '21 second+Johansen to get the Ottawa Senators of all teams to retain salary. That's a team that could perhaps use Jensen but, again, not sure now is the time for that. I think they only move Kempny and/or Jensen in the event of adding a 2RD and that any forward addition aligns with the theme of being hard to play against and improving team defense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also

Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway sounds like a solid defensive/energy line. Do you still think Reirden won't depend on it?

Kovalchuk-Backstrom-Panik sounds a lot like what Backstrom should be ok with. A player like Ovechkin and solid workhorse on the right side.

That leaves Vrana-Eller-Oshie, and one of these lines should be a mismatch for every opponent.

Depend on it? For what? Hagelin Eller Panik are picking up a lot of Reirden's oppo first line checking assignments. No way Dowd and Hathaway get anywhere near that.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Further on Pageau, though, is they'd need to up that offer of a '21 second+Johansen to get the Ottawa Senators of all teams to retain salary. That's a team that could perhaps use Jensen but, again, not sure now is the time for that. I think they only move Kempny and/or Jensen in the event of adding a 2RD and that any forward addition aligns with the theme of being hard to play against and improving team defense.

Retaining salary shouldn't even be a worry for the Sens as they have about $25 million in cap space. But for sure, Ottawa is going to try to get the best offer they can get. I see a lot of interest for Pageau from HFboards, but not a lot of actual noise from the media or organizational interest from other franchises. Not saying that no one is on Pageau, but its really hard to determine price for him right now.

I think Sens sites + fans that I've read said they want at least a conditional first and an A prospect... which will put him up in Kreider price territory.

Last edited:

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I just noticed that we have back to back early daytime games this weekend with the Debs at 1 pm on Saturday then Puttsburgh at 12 noon on Sunday. Brutal.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Quite a bit “grass is always greener” in this thread with some names here. Like I don’t see how a guy like Kovy fits at all within our team, we don’t need to 6 wingers and he has not demonstrated that he can handle the roll of a bottom 6 forward. A couple of these d men being named are also at best equal value to what’s being offered, they’re literally just different names/faces with the same warts.

I’ve long since been team “don’t blow up a team with 20 games left”, there’s just not a lot of evidence it works.

The only thing that somewhat, unrealistically, intrigued me was that apparently Trocheck is available. If by some miracle they made that work it would free up 92 to play wing again and allow 77 to slide the third line.

That’s a pipe dream though in cost and assets needed to give it up.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Have to think they'd ideally like to have their playoff roster available for Sunday's game. Makes sense to close on a cheap depth forward in the next day or two if that's all they've got cooking. But if they're open to more serious changes, including subtracting from the roster, then waiting may be necessary. You'd think a cheaper F option not requiring retention could just be had for their third or fourth rounder and they could be done with it.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We all know players who can up their game in playoffs. Both Kempny and Gudas are in that category. Maybe even Siege.

Jensen is not. Because he is weak and slow with decisions.

I'd consider Martinez even if many teams are after him. Good cap hit, 1 year left. 2RD with Orlov easily.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Don’t care who it is - but we need a a depth forward who can help score.

don’t need to go crazy for it - but a 20 goal or 40+ point guy over a season is what caps need.

kovy seems logical answer. Cheap as hell and we have the Russians that could make it a nice fit

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Don’t care who it is - but we need a a depth forward who can help score.

don’t need to go crazy for it - but a 20 goal or 40+ point guy over a season is what caps need.

kovy seems logical answer. Cheap as hell and we have the Russians that could make it a nice fit
Cheap? He’s going to cost at least a first, he’s also essentially pointless if he’s not in your top 6 which is not where we need to be plugging guys in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad