Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
At 2.5 per season, that seems like a real positive.
It depends on the team, their organizational depth and cap outlook. I'm not sure a highly competitive team takes him but more of a rebuilding team like Anaheim would have a role for him. Whether there's a swap to be had and whether they've run out of patience with him is anyone's guess. They should give Gudas another go at least with more minutes.

Re: Protas I'd only make him available for a legit top 4 RD non-rental, likely in a package deal with Jensen. If they want a non-rental then Jensen and the second rounder ought to be enough.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So what do you have his trade value at?

I think he’s a serviceable D on many teams in the NHL, but I’m unsure of his value in a trade. The 3 more years seems like a negative today.

I think if you look at futures, then it’s 2nd rounder and a prospect.

If you look at NHL “ready” returns, then it’s a guy akin to him (youngish half proven player that’s having a rough sled this year), or a very proven UFA to be that a team knows they won’t resign.

so it depends. That said, with GMBM’s wizardry, it could be anything

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Question for you all: Used to post on HF a lot more years ago, but haven't follow hockey as much lately - other than my hockey pool. I've got Holtby...
Do you think he'll be starting by the end of the year? And why do you think he is struggling so badly? I'm thinking of aggressively looking to trade him even if the return isn't great. Should I be more patient or should I punt him?
Punt him unless you have an option to keep him as a backup.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm sure he'll still get the bulk of the starts but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see his starts slowly diminish over the course of the year if he continues on this course.

As for why he's struggling so badly, it's tough to tell. He has been on a downward trend for a few seasons now and the SC run was an abnormality if you look at his overall numbers

To why he's struggling I think I can answer that. There are multiple reasons. 1st is his playing style. Holtby's goaltending style is labeled as a hybrid(combo of standup/butterfly). It's a style of goaltending that is not used by many anymore. He stands up in the sense that he plays more in an upright position than most goalies. In terms of his use of the butterfly, he has a very narrow form(the v-shape when he goes down on his knees), which means he doesn't take up as much space/angle of a shot. He doesn't take advantage of the more modern butterfly style that uses what is called the VH/Reverse VH formation. It involves hard pushes(with the goalie skate blade) moving side-to-side(also referred to as lateral movement), which allows for quicker movement to keep up with the faster game. Believe it or not, his reluctance to change to more modern goalie equipment is at fault as well(his CCM leg pads are more than 5 years old in terms of design). If any goalie ever tells you how old the equipment is doesn't matter, then they are lying. The newer equipment technology gives you advantages as a goalie.

Another reason he's struggling is his inexperienced goalie coach Scott Murray. While Murray has worked well for Samsonov(he coached him in Hershey), it hasn't been the same with Holtby. In fact, I don't think Holtby has recaptured his top performance since Mitch Korn left to follow Trotz with the Islanders. Frankly, I think a veteran goalie coach would do Holtby a lot of good.

Last, has to do with the team structure being played in front of him. Trotz had a very structured system in place where the forwards and d-men didn't play so aggressive. A very heavy fore-check combined with slowing down the neutral zone and being very responsible in the defensive zone, are all gone. It reduced the chances of Holtby facing 2nd/3rd shots. If you noticed now, Holtby looks somewhat awkward recovering for 2nd/3rd shots.

Mentally, Holtby is thinking too much and not playing with any confidence. He honestly looks lost a times with the way the team in front of him plays. He has no new contract and knows that his time might be done with this team after the season ends. I honestly think this is effecting his mindset as well.

Another reset from him is in order. I don't know how well he will respond being relegated to the backup role like he did when Grubauer was here. I feel the signs point to him not recapturing his good play anymore with this team.

I would like to see Holtby regain his good form again, but right now Samsonov gives the Caps the best chance to win games.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
At 2.5 per season, that seems like a real positive.

I think 3-4 years ago this would have been true but not anymore. The caliber of players passing through waivers right now is ridiculous.

This is a league where not a single team wanted to have Djoos on their roster FOR FREE, under team control and getting paid $1.25m. Buffalo has been carrying 9+ defensemen on their roster for the whole season and nobody wants any of them. They just gave Scandella away for nothing.

I think Jensen is worth A LOT less right now than what we paid to get him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think 3-4 years ago this would have been true but not anymore. The caliber of players passing through waivers right now is ridiculous.

This is a league where not a single team wanted to have Djoos on their roster FOR FREE, under team control and getting paid $1.25m. Buffalo has been carrying 9+ defensemen on their roster for the whole season and nobody wants any of them. They just gave Scandella away for nothing.

I think Jensen is worth A LOT less right now than what we paid to get him.

we can agree to disagree here

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
In regards to Protas: of course we shouldn't trade away our forward prospects that show any promise from our barren prospects pool.

But the whole "only won one Cup in the Ovie era" talk earlier got me thinking. Should we trade perhaps our most tradeable asset that's not on the team and not one our top 3 prospects to go for it all again. Go and get that 2nd Cup.

For example, like @Langway mentioned, for a legit non-rental RD. We have what? A few years left of truly contending in this era?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Further to the number of Stanley Cups: here's one model for expected number of Stanley Cups from 2009-2018:

Washington is right in line with their "expected" number. Pittsburgh, Chicago, and LA have outperformed their expectation for sure but plenty of other teams like SJ, TB, NYR, VAN, and NSH have underperformed relative to what they'd expect.

I'm not saying I'm not disappointed every time they are eliminated from the postseason, but if I'm looking back in 20 years and they only end up with 1 Cup I will be happy.

Then you are already happy by your standard, and will be for the next 20 years :)

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I notice that some posters here do not understand how good extremely good Panik and Hagelin are on the third line.

Let's look at a smart example:

Player A plays on the third line. He scored 40 points and was on the ice for 50 goals for and 999999 goals against.

Player B plays on the third line. He scored 30 points and was on the ice for 999999 goals for and 50 goals against.

Both players played the same amount of time. Which player is better?

Let's find it out! ...

giphy.webp

Player B is much better, even if he scored ten stupid points less.

Here some stats to help you with our forwards at even strength:

PlayerEV GF/60EV GA/60EV (GF-GA)/60EV STRENGTH 2019/20 RANK
Tom Wilson3.923.550.37GOOD FIRST-LINER
Nicklas Backstrom3.674.09-0.42BAD FIRST-LINER
Alex Ovechkin3.594.25-0.66BAD FIRST-LINER
Evgeny Kuznetsov4.213.830.38GOOD SECOND-LINER
T.J. Oshie3.943.760.18OK SECOND-LINER
Jakub Vrana3.792.691.1GODLIKE SECOND-LINER
Lars Eller3.052.440.61GOOD THIRD-LINER
Richard Panik2.951.311.64GODLIKE THIRD-LINER
Carl Hagelin2.82.180.62GOOD THIRD-LINER
Travis Boyd4.011.542.47GODLIKE FOURTH-LINER
Nic Dowd3.41.591.81GODLIKE FOURTH-LINER
Brendan Leipsic3.091.921.17GODLIKE FOURTH-LINER
Garnet Hathaway2.411.560.85GOOD FOURTH-LINER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Heath

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Definitely on the higher side of what would feel good, but expected. Almost identical cap % numbers though which is surprising.

Is Ovi gonna sign for less them 10 million now? If they follow the same percentage game he'd be signing for just north of 13.2 million.

It's also worth noting they seem to be setting up 2025-2026 as the close of this window and the rebuild starting point. most of our big contracts expire then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad