Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2019-20 Season Pt. 3: Hello 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I've been impressed by Siegenthaler the last month, he's gone from their 6th best defenseman to their 3rd best and likely has to be protected from the expansion draft

He was always going to be protected in my opinion.

Backstrom, Kuznetsnov, Vrana, Wilson
(Ovechkin as a wink wink UFA)

Carlson, Orlov, Kempny, Siegenthaler

Samsonov.

Oshie will be 35, no sense in wasting a protection slot on him. Eller will probably be the guy taken, which I'm fine with.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Samsonov.

Oshie will be 35, no sense in wasting a protection slot on him. Eller will probably be the guy taken, which I'm fine with.
I don't think it's worth doing getting to UFA with Ovy for the difference of 1 year of Kempny and 2 years of Eller.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think it's worth doing getting to UFA with Ovy for the difference of 1 year of Kempny and 2 years of Eller.
I mean...I don't think there's any risk is there? Ovechkin saw how much money Ted just gave Backstrom. Ovechkin is even more of a lifer.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Samsonov.

Who knows but I think they'll play it down the line. I suspect Ovechkin gets re-signed this summer when they're able to and they eventually protect him, Oshie & Eller over Kempny. Kempny would only have one year remaining on his deal and could perhaps be replaced (if not already) by MF/AA.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I mean...I don't think there's any risk is there? Ovechkin saw how much money Ted just gave Backstrom. Ovechkin is even more of a lifer.
The risk is having to pay him slightly more money, maybe the TV deal inflates the cap, plus it would help to know how much Vrana can get, how long his deal can be.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Heh, I'm fine with the Caps switching to "elite retirement home for legends" mode. Backstrom certainly deserves whatever $ he can get for his body of work.

Not sure the league is ready for that 25M 3rd line of Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie in a couple of years :)

Best 3rd line in hockey history :)

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Who knows but I think they'll play it down the line. I suspect Ovechkin gets re-signed this summer when they're able to and they eventually protect him, Oshie & Eller over Kempny. Kempny would only have one year remaining on his deal and could perhaps be replaced (if not already) by MF/AA.

Bottom line for the Caps is, just like with Vegas, having a good team with a lot of depth means we're going to lose someone in expansion that we may all have wanted to keep.

BMac could always do a McPhee special and negotiate with the Seahawks or whatever the eff they are gonna be called, to take a certain player in exchange for a pick or two.

Jun 15, 2007

Protecting Oshie would be really dumb to me. If Seattle takes him, that's a bonus not a malus.

Right now we are in the sweet part of Oshie's contract. Having Seattle willingly take the bitter part would be incredibly lucky.

If we end up protecting 7f, 3d, I'd rather we make a trade for a forward from another team that can't protect them all.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Protecting Oshie would be really dumb to me. If Seattle takes him, that's a bonus not a malus.

Right now we are in the sweet part of Oshie's contract. Having Seattle willingly take the bitter part would be incredibly lucky.

If we end up protecting 7f, 3d, I'd rather we make a trade for a forward from another team that can't protect them all.
Seattle taking Oshie would be ideal but man that would sting, he’s been such a fan favorite since we got him. I hope they take Panik lol

Reactions: RandyHolt

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Bottom line for the Caps is, just like with Vegas, having a good team with a lot of depth means we're going to lose someone in expansion that we may all have wanted to keep.

BMac could always do a McPhee special and negotiate with the Seahawks or whatever the eff they are gonna be called, to take a certain player in exchange for a pick or two.

Not really. Kempny will be left exposed, we'll protect 3 D and every forward that we could possibly wish to protect. That's without even taking the very reasonable option of Ovechkin signing on Jul 1st. No way in hell I'd be leaving Eller exposed.

Caps have got a bucket load of promising left D, no reason to protect Kempny. It's really a much more reasonable situation than Vegas draft was. The little joys of having pretty questionable right D depth.

Reactions: Corby78

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004

They really aren’t exposed at all, it’s kind of crazy, but part of that is Kempny and Jensen having down years

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Not really. Kempny will be left exposed, we'll protect 3 D and every forward that we could possibly wish to protect. That's without even taking the very reasonable option of Ovechkin signing on Jul 1st. No way in hell I'd be leaving Eller exposed.

Caps have got a bucket load of promising left D, no reason to protect Kempny. It's really a much more reasonable situation than Vegas draft was. The little joys of having pretty questionable right D depth.

Missed my point. If we have to leave Kempny and Jensen exposed, no chance in hell Seattle takes Jensen over Kempny and I don't want to lose Kempny. So maybe BMac can offer a pick to get them to take Jensen instead.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Both Kempny and Jensen are gone at July 1st 2021 at the latest.

Fever is replacing Kempny.

Jensen is not up to task of feeding Ovi all the way to 895. Why keep him?

Fever/Siege with Carlson
Siege/Fever with Gudas
Just need to find the good partner for Orlov

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
you asked. I answered. The Caps have no history of selling pending ufa players with a chance to win on the table. You think Holtby is about to get benched? You think if they ditch Holtby and the work load or being a rookie catches up with Samsonov, you are good with some backup goalie off the trash heap as your plan B?

Easy there Lee Harvey. Just having a conversation about options. Speculation is allowed.

I have no idea whether Holtby is about to get benched, I don't work for the Caps, and no one knows how Sammy would respond to being the man. I just don't like seeing valuable assets leaving town for nothing. Seen it with Harper, Rendon and Cousins. Would rather not see it with Holtby. So my reasoning is if he is leaving anyway why not try and get something in return. Do it now and the cap room can be used to solidify other positions of need. Or, most likely, they hold on to him and he catches fire come playoff time like he did a couple years ago.

Having said that, haven't rookie or trash heap goalies backstopped Cup runs before? Serious question. I can think of one or two rookie goalies to win off the top of my head but not sure about trash heap goalies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Having said that, haven't rookie or trash heap goalies backstopped Cup runs before? Serious question. I can think of one or two rookie goalies to win off the top of my head but not sure about trash heap goalies.
Jordan Binnington (32 regular season games played)
Matt Murray (13 regular season games played)
Antti Niemi (39 Regular season games played)
Cam Ward (28 regular season games played)

All were rookies at the time they won the cup. All started less than half the season. I'm sure there are also examples of some crappy goalies if you go back and dive into every roster.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Both Kempny and Jensen are gone at July 1st 2021 at the latest.

Fever is replacing Kempny.

Jensen is not up to task of feeding Ovi all the way to 895. Why keep him?

Fever/Siege with Carlson
Siege/Fever with Gudas
Just need to find the good partner for Orlov

Well, I don't think they have any plans to keep Gudas or else they would have kept Niskanen. They have a $2.5m budget line for Orlov's partner. If they were able to pay a market rate for that player, they would have just kept Niskanen

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
So my reasoning is if he is leaving anyway why not try and get something in return. Do it now and the cap room can be used to solidify other positions of need. Or, most likely, they hold on to him and he catches fire come playoff time like he did a couple years ago.

Im one to take a better chance at winning the cup 2020 as a return rather than what would be avaivable in ”assets”. Holtby is our cup run rental and thats great since he is the biggest upcoming UFA there is. If our goalies today were Sammy and Copley (or whoever backup) we would go far and beyond trying to find ways to overspend on getting Holtby to rental the shit out of our cup run train.

Right now our only ”holes” are depth guys, and you dont have to give up Holts to fill those. Trading Holts would oppositely create a big hole in front of the net. With Holts we either have a cup winning starting goalie or if Sammy can take his spot, the best backup in the league. Ill have that over a Chris Kreider type of rental who might or might not fit in the gel.

And what kind of effect would trading Holts have to our locker room? Cant think anything good comes up from that.

i would be careful on adding anything costly on this TDL anyways. We have a good thing going and as we have seen and heard Reirden tell us, it took a year for our current guys to pick up the game that they want to execute. Can a Kreider or Kovalchuk or whoever adapt to our style and mix in a month?

Last edited:

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Easy there Lee Harvey. Just having a conversation about options. Speculation is allowed.

I have no idea whether Holtby is about to get benched, I don't work for the Caps, and no one knows how Sammy would respond to being the man. I just don't like seeing valuable assets leaving town for nothing. Seen it with Harper, Rendon and Cousins. Would rather not see it with Holtby. So my reasoning is if he is leaving anyway why not try and get something in return. Do it now and the cap room can be used to solidify other positions of need. Or, most likely, they hold on to him and he catches fire come playoff time like he did a couple years ago.

The shitty extensions that have doomed teams with Arenas, Wall, Portis, and Laich were worse than losing those guys for nothing.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, I don't think they have any plans to keep Gudas or else they would have kept Niskanen. They have a $2.5m budget line for Orlov's partner. If they were able to pay a market rate for that player, they would have just kept Niskanen

Niskanen is old. There was no prospect of having him for extended period of time apparently.

Gudas as 3RD is much better fit than Niskanen as 2RD would be.

Surely Gudas will be overpriced for that... but we have plan B in Hershey :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad