Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I just saw the dirty hit from Perry on Oshie. I am calling that a concussion/checked for same. The fact that Todd/Vogs went out of their way to say it wasn't a head injury tells me all you need to know. No sport is more secretive about injuries, right? Especially teams gearing up for the NHL playoffs.

f*** Perry and the zero risk of review by the DOPES.

I wonder what the win% is of teams that raise a banner, retire a jersey, etc.

Reactions: BiPolar Caps

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I just saw the dirty hit from Perry on Oshie. I am calling that a concussion/checked for same. The fact that Todd/Vogs went out of their way to say it wasn't a head injury tells me all you need to know. No sport is more secretive about injuries, right? Especially teams gearing up for the NHL playoffs.

**** Perry and the zero risk of review by the DOPES.

I wonder what the win% is of teams that raise a banner, retire a jersey, etc.
Caps can send in a video review complaint of the incident if it was caught on camera at all. DOPES don't act unless they notice something on TV camera, which I don't think was conclusive enough.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Caps can send in a video review complaint of the incident if it was caught on camera at all. DOPES don't act unless they notice something on TV camera, which I don't think was conclusive enough.

I hope they do send it in but suspect most teams don't bother, especially when they know nothing will happen. Perry seems like a dirty f***er every time we play them.

I believe the main stream media drives suspensions, in addition to fan outrage. Perry does his dirty work while the east coast sleeps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
nothing on youtube. anyone have this hit on video? per usual no sign of any league action. is oshie the league's free head shot guy?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Apparently the Flames and Caps have been scouting one another for about a month now.

Also interesting that St. Louis had scouts at both Hershey games and now their VP of hockey ops is scouting the Caps tonight. Could be a coincidence but both teams have been trading partners in the past
Just combing back through this thread but these are two interesting trading partners to me. All 3 teams you can basically call cup contenders, St. Louis maybe not quite but they're right back in that West picture.

Would have to be a hockey trade and not a prospects/picks trade in either situation, no?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Do you guys think Tampa fans are starting to realize that there is a good chance they get the Pens or Caps R1? I mean, that can’t be the draw they want. At first I was thinking make the playoffs and don’t face Tampa R1 was the only stipulation for this regular season. Now I’d be kinda stoked if we wound up in the Atlantic bracket just to meet new people / visit old friends.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Mark Stone checks both boxes.

I’m down for the Caps to make a splash and kinda inject some new energy into the room. I really don’t give a f*** about the first few years post Ovie which is what futures basically are to me at this point. They don’t have to be straight up stupid about it but I’m down to let GMBM have some shortsighted fun if something he really likes comes around.

Stone would be a very fun add...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do you guys think Tampa fans are starting to realize that there is a good chance they get the Pens or Caps R1? I mean, that can’t be the draw they want. At first I was thinking make the playoffs and don’t face Tampa R1 was the only stipulation for this regular season. Now I’d be kinda stoked if we wound up in the Atlantic bracket just to meet new people / visit old friends.

I cant speak on the penguins but the Caps are not going to end up in the final WC.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’m down for the Caps to make a splash and kinda inject some new energy into the room. I really don’t give a **** about the first few years post Ovie which is what futures basically are to me at this point. They don’t have to be straight up stupid about it but I’m down to let GMBM have some shortsighted fun if something he really likes comes around.

Stone would be a very fun add...

I just think that is a bad idea and a poor use of available future assets. The Capitals need two things. A non one dimensional 3LW in Burt's spot and a reliable face off winner/pk player for the 4th line.

Unless Vrana is a major source of defensive mistakes I don't think you send the right message by seeing him breakout with 20 plus goals after a good playoff run and then demote him.

Now....If Oshie is concussed again, all bets are off and they might need a top half of the lineup player

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just combing back through this thread but these are two interesting trading partners to me. All 3 teams you can basically call cup contenders, St. Louis maybe not quite but they're right back in that West picture.

Would have to be a hockey trade and not a prospects/picks trade in either situation, no?
Both St. Louis and Calgary are scouting the Caps again tonight against the Kings. It can’t be a coincidence

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Silfverberg and Henrique both looked like viable targets last night but Henrique just signed long term for substantial money so he’s not an option.

Thoughts on Silfy?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca
16. Zuccarello and Wayne Simmonds may have to wait until the Duchene/Stone/Panarin situations settle. A mix of similar teams looking at both: Boston, Calgary, San Jose, maybe Pittsburgh and Vegas. New Jersey GM Ray Shero was aggressive with Brian Boyle, and it sounds like he’s done the same with Marcus Johansson. I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at Andre Burakovsky, too. So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured Sven Baertschi.

17. The Capitals have looked around for the 2019 version of Michal Kempny.
Huh. It would be nice to have the 2018 version also.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The last 10 games. Connolly. 5g 6pts. Eller. 1g 3pts. Burakovsky. 1g 5pts. I think they are on the fence with Burakovsky. If keeping him keeps Connolly going, I think they probably do that and instead try and get a better replacement for Beagle than Dowd.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What? You don't think Kempny was a steal top 4 defenseman?
More curious if that means they're looking for another defenseman in particular and not just a similar value buy generally. It's a pretty thin rental D market so value buys will be pretty limited IMO.

But it makes sense if they're thinking smaller and not planning on shipping Burakovsky out just yet. Dzingel, Hagelin (w/ retained salary), Clifford, Lewis or Fantenberg could help and not require anyone other than Jaskin being dropped IINM.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
More curious if that means they're looking for another defenseman in particular and not just a similar value buy generally. It's a pretty thin rental D market so value buys will be pretty limited IMO.

But it makes sense if they're thinking smaller and not planning on shipping Burakovsky out just yet. Dzingel, Hagelin (w/ retained salary), Clifford, Lewis or Fantenberg could help and not require anyone other than Jaskin being dropped IINM.

I think the context was another under the radar opportunity. Realistically, I don't know what they would do with another defenseman. Their problems are with Top 4 d that I think they sink or swim with. Orlov and Kempny can either carry the load or they cant.

Reactions: calicapsfan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think the context was another under the radar opportunity. Realistically, I don't know what they would do with another defenseman. Their problems are with Top 4 d that I think they sink or swim with. Orlov and Kempny can either carry the load or they cant.

Two things: One, those guys can carry the load if they give full effort, we know they can, we've seen it. Will they throughout the rest of the RS and playoffs? Thats tbd but I think they will. Second, they can't carry the load of playing defense by themselves, so if the forwards collectively decide to also contribute to defense, then the top 4 will be fine, again we've seen it happen even in this muddy season. Conversely if the forwards continue to play a 120 foot game, the defense will continue to struggle.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think 6 and 9s issue is effort. I don’t expect them to suddenly “try harder” and magically play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad