Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
This makes no sense whatsoever. Better 5-on-5 production does not make Zuccarello a better PKer that DSP or Stephenson. That's absurd. He is worse than either in every measurable way. If he replaces either of them on the PK, it will get worse.

What does 'medical evidence' mean?

I do not say that. I say : Zuccarello is the best of three forward with PK duties. Start to read carefully.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I do not say that. I say : Zuccarello is the best of three forward with PK duties. Start to read carefully.

When your penalty kill if hovering around 77% with a fully healthy roster and no sign of potential improvement, it's time to start prioritizing effective penalty killing.

Hey, let's play Ovechkin on the PK. I'm sure he will be our best forward with PK duties.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
When your penalty kill if hovering around 77% with a fully healthy roster and no sign of potential improvement, it's time to start prioritizing effective penalty killing.

Hey, let's play Ovechkin on the PK. I'm sure he will be our best forward with PK duties.

We discussed careful reading ability in last post. Let's now look at the ability to give correct examples then talking about different subjects. Improving your PK by adding one new player is one subject. Changing one players role on the team is a different subject. So a correct example in your post could be: Hey, let's find a second Ovechkin and play him on the PK. etc. …

By the way, Zuccarello can improve our PK.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
We discussed careful reading ability in last post. Let's now look at the ability to give correct examples then talking about different subjects. Improving your PK by adding one new player is one subject. Changing one players role on the team is a different subject. So a correct example in your post could be: Hey, let's find a second Ovechkin and play him on the PK. etc. …

By the way, Zuccarello can improve our PK.

Have a nice day.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

In other news, BMac has eyeballs that work and a mouth that doesn't make up lies. Good stuff from BMac.

At least he's not doing the whole cryptic compliment instead of honesty thing. As I said on the other thread, there is just about nothing you can do externally to make Kuzy care about the regular season more than he does. Bench him? Risky. Drop him to the 4th line? Risky and stupid. Belittle him in public? Praise him in public?

Maybe the best solution is just to double shift him... anyone legitimately got better ideas? He's basically Sasha Semin, except he brought a Conn Smythe effort in the playoffs one time.

Reactions: calicapsfan

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
In other news, BMac has eyeballs that work and a mouth that doesn't make up lies. Good stuff from BMac.

At least he's not doing the whole cryptic compliment instead of honesty thing. As I said on the other thread, there is just about nothing you can do externally to make Kuzy care about the regular season more than he does. Bench him? Risky. Drop him to the 4th line? Risky and stupid. Belittle him in public? Praise him in public?

Maybe the best solution is just to double shift him... anyone legitimately got better ideas? He's basically Sasha Semin, except he brought a Conn Smythe effort in the playoffs one time.

I do not envy anyone who has to manage and try to motivate Kuznetsov. It's a challenge, no doubt.

I enjoy BMac's interviews, too. One the very few managers who communicates to the fanbase in an honest and straightforward manner.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I do not envy anyone who has to manage and try to motivate Kuznetsov. It's a challenge, no doubt.

I enjoy BMac's interviews, too. One the very few managers who communicates to the fanbase in an honest and straightforward manner.

Agreed on both counts. I dislike when people around here blame TR for Kuzy being Kuzy and acting like TR has lost the team or should be doing some magical, but unspecified, thing to make Kuzy into a 24x7 high motor guy in the RS. Its a lazy gripe by fans who think they know more than actual NHL coaches do.

And BMac, its refreshing that he doesn't insult fans intelligence with piles of BS like some GMs do.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

In 2017/18 Kuznetsov produced 2.38 points per 60 minutes of 5v5 time. This season he is producing at a 2.30 rate. Very close. But in 2017/18 playoffs Kuznetsov went to 2.84 vs. best NHL teams.

The question is: can he play 9/10 months straight at Conn Smythe level? I hope yes, and I hope we can find how.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
In 2017/18 Kuznetsov produced 2.38 points per 60 minutes of 5v5 time. This season he is producing at a 2.30 rate. Very close. But in 2017/18 playoffs Kuznetsov went to 2.84 vs. best NHL teams.

The question is: can he play 9/10 months straight at Conn Smythe level? I hope yes, and I hope we can find how.
I'm cool if he dogs it every regular season and produces at a 100 point pace every postseason.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I agree with this statement, but he needs to be careful on where he's assigning the lion's share of the blame (IMO it's Niskanen who has been struggling much more than Orlov).

I've said it before but if they are looking to "fix" this pair I think they need to look outside at a guy like Nick Jensen who would be a fantastic acquisition now or closer to the TDL. I think Niskanen needs to play fewer minutes at this point in his career. Niskanen hasn't been right since his injury last season, and Jensen is a guy who would be a great #4 D acquisition, similar to Kempny last year (except on the right side).

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I agree with this statement, but he needs to be careful on where he's assigning the lion's share of the blame (IMO it's Niskanen who has been struggling much more than Orlov).

I've said it before but if they are looking to "fix" this pair I think they need to look outside at a guy like Nick Jensen who would be a fantastic acquisition now or closer to the TDL. I think Niskanen needs to play fewer minutes at this point in his career. Niskanen hasn't been right since his injury last season, and Jensen is a guy who would be a great #4 D acquisition, similar to Kempny last year (except on the right side).

Niskanen on the second pairing means one of two: 1) Kempny on the first pair or 2) Kempny-Niskanen on second. I don't like the first option. The second option seems disbalanced: two stay at home D on one pair.

On the other hand, Orlov-Carlson with less offensive Orlov may work perfectly I guess.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Kempny-Carlson first pairing was our line up in the SCF and it was pretty money if you ask me.

Orlov is an enigma. At times it feels like he's better suited when he has to be the more responsible d-man and stay at home, he's less likely to make the boneheaded plays and turn overs that he does when he dives full into being an offensive d-man. On the flip side when he's locked in he's the most dangerous offensive d-man we have, and yes I know I'm discarding Carlson. Orlov's toolset and had the most raw talent in it amongst all our offensive D.

Truthfully the most consistent and responsible offensive d-men we've had in the last 10 years aren't playing right now. One is in Vegas and the other is recovering in Hershey from having his leg blown open.

Reactions: SBraun

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Comparison on 52 first season games in points per 60 minutes played on 5v5:

PlayerPOS2017/18 first 52 games2018/19 first 52 gamesProgress
Jakub VranaL1.412.280.87
Brett ConnollyR1.542.180.64
Brooks OrpikD0.481.040.56
T.J. OshieR1.361.920.56
John CarlsonD1.161.70.54
Tom WilsonR1.82.310.51
Nicklas BackstromC1.762.160.4
Andre BurakovskyL1.091.340.25
Alex OvechkinL2.472.530.06
Matt NiskanenD0.940.950.01
Evgeny KuznetsovC2.362.3-0.06
Madison BoweyD1.040.87-0.17
Lars EllerC1.941.66-0.28
Dmitry OrlovD1.040.75-0.29
Devante Smith-PellyR1.411.1-0.31
Chandler StephensonC1.711.1-0.61
Christian DjoosD1.280.66-0.62
Travis BoydC-2.7n/a
Nic DowdC-2.27n/a
Dmitrij JaskinR-1.53n/a
Michal KempnyD-1.08n/a
Jonas SiegenthalerD-0.78n/a
Jay BeagleC1.43-n/a
Alex ChiassonR0.95-n/a
Taylor ChorneyD0.7-n/a
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: shtorm2005

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Kempny-Carlson first pairing was our line up in the SCF and it was pretty money if you ask me.

Orlov is an enigma. At times it feels like he's better suited when he has to be the more responsible d-man and stay at home, he's less likely to make the boneheaded plays and turn overs that he does when he dives full into being an offensive d-man. On the flip side when he's locked in he's the most dangerous offensive d-man we have, and yes I know I'm discarding Carlson. Orlov's toolset and had the most raw talent in it amongst all our offensive D.

Truthfully the most consistent and responsible offensive d-men we've had in the last 10 years aren't playing right now. One is in Vegas and the other is recovering in Hershey from having his leg blown open.
I got it. You have a lot of imagination.

vs Jackets: Orlov-Niskanen played 73 minutes in 6 games vs Panarin; Kempny-Carlson 21 minute.
vs Pens: Orlov-Niskanen played 60 minutes in 6 games vs Crosby; Kempny-Carlson 20 minutes.
vs Bolts: Orlov-Niskanen played 50 minutes in 7 games vs Kucherov; Kempny-Carlson 25 minutes.
vs expansiondraftabominations: Orlov-Niskanen played 43 minutes in 5 games vs Marshessault; Kempny-Carlson 17 minutes.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I think there might be confusion around shutdown pair/top pair here, just to cut in before a disagreement :)

(I don't know what to call what, just seem like you're on different pages)

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'm cool if he dogs it every regular season and produces at a 100 point pace every postseason.

I kind of agree. On the other hand, it's not insurmountable for Kuznetsov to give a better and more consistent effort in the regular season. It's not unheard of for star players to try hard in both regular season and playoffs.

It's also not unheard of for pretty solid teams to miss the playoffs all together because not enough players are willing to pay the price and give a solid effort. I'm not too concerned about Kuznetsov's or anyone else's performance to this point but it's February and the team has lost 8 out of 9. It's time to giddy up and get this thing back on track.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Chris Kuc
@ChrisKuc
General manager Brian MacLellan said Capitals are “active” in trade discussions. He believes there are hockey trades to be made.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I think there might be confusion around shutdown pair/top pair here, just to cut in before a disagreement :)

(I don't know what to call what, just seem like you're on different pages)
Orlov-Niskanen played 145 minutes with Ovechkin in 24 playoff games. Kempny-Carlson only 111 minutes.

Well, it is closer. But right now I have no idea what we can invent as parameter to make Kempny-Carlson the Number One pair in the SC run.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I got it. You have a lot of imagination.

vs Jackets: Orlov-Niskanen played 73 minutes in 6 games vs Panarin; Kempny-Carlson 21 minute.
vs Pens: Orlov-Niskanen played 60 minutes in 6 games vs Crosby; Kempny-Carlson 20 minutes.
vs Bolts: Orlov-Niskanen played 50 minutes in 7 games vs Kucherov; Kempny-Carlson 25 minutes.
vs expansiondraftabominations: Orlov-Niskanen played 43 minutes in 5 games vs Marshessault; Kempny-Carlson 17 minutes.

Kempny and Carlson literally were the top line pairing though...

giphy.gif

Capitals keep lines the same ahead of Game Seven of Eastern Conference Final

No Capitals Line Changes Ahead of Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals

SCF Game 5: Washington Capitals @ Vegas Golden Knights | 8:00 PM ET | CBC, SN, TVAS, NBC

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
An honest question. Can you make an argument on how having Hagelin versus Stephenson makes us a better team?

Hagelin:

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 7.28.38 PM.png

Stephenson:

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 7.30.49 PM.png

Simple, while neither really produces much offensively, Hagelin drives possession and is a better all around defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->