Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am sticking to my rationalized optional guns, and predicting Clifford for a pick, and release Jaskin. The cap better work dammit.... oh and sorry about that leak in your apartment Siggy.

Now you know why he didn't challenge Wilson sooner...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Clifford was in Wilson face because Wilson got into it with Kovalchuk near the end of the game... there was no time for them to fight each other.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I am happy to see they are looking for another bargain D-man but I still don't quite see how a new player would fit in other than as insurance against injury (which would of course be a fine enough addition). I think there are probably a few players of Kempny's caliber out there but it's going to be up to BMac to find a guy off the radar because guys like Jensen who were once off the radar suddenly are now on everyone's radar and their value has increased around the league.

While BMac could make a significant move and deal someone currently in the lineup I don't really see that happening. In which case, who would a new defenseman replace? Carlson clearly isn't going anywhere, Kempny's having a rough go but I doubt they give up on him after last postseason and a pretty good first half of this season, Djoos is only getting better, Orpik brings the intangibles and PKing that aren't going to be replaced, and I doubt they move on from Niskanen since he's a RHD on a team and organization that has zero quality RHD behind him.

Orlov being shipped out would be the only drastic move I could remotely see happening if they aren't convinced he's going to be a long-term fit due to his contract, but again, despite a poor season-to-date is that really likely to happen given his ascension to shutdown duties in a Cup-winning run? That seems much more likely to be an offseason move if it comes to it.

I also don't see much sense is getting rid of Burakovsky unless it's someone like Mark Stone or another top-tier talent coming back, but even then you would have to demote Oshie, Wilson, or Vrana and I'm not sure how well that would go in the locker room.

As I said earlier my prediction is still that they will stand pat for the most part and players are just going to have to play better (and coaches coach better).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well... Bura is crapshoot. Move him and you have space for rental. Also assets. Other assets are there too. Rentals on the market? There are some interesting ones.

All boxes are checked for a meaningful trade.

It is mission winnow. I expect at least 2 deals from GMBM.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
No way the Caps trade Orlov. He’s about to hit his prime and Niskanen has been far more of a problem. I could actually see Nisky eventually being moved before the expansion draft to avoid another cap crunch.

Orlov is a perfect fit for the route the NHL is going and will only mature. I’d love to see him away from Niskanen for a few games. I absolutely love Nisky, but, his lack of foot speed is beginning to become noticed in quick counter transitions and when he’s pressured in the defensive zone.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Anyone else intrigued by Clifford?? Perfect fourth liner and a great cap hit. Would love him in our bottom-six.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
No way the Caps trade Orlov. He’s about to hit his prime and Niskanen has been far more of a problem. I could actually see Nisky eventually being moved before the expansion draft to avoid another cap crunch.

Orlov is a perfect fit for the route the NHL is going and will only mature. I’d love to see him away from Niskanen for a few games. I absolutely love Nisky, but, his lack of foot speed is beginning to become noticed in quick counter transitions and when he’s pressured in the defensive zone.

If your talking about on offense? Sure. But on defense is another story. I can't believe they gave him 5 million a year without learning to play defense.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
If your talking about on offense? Sure. But on defense is another story. I can't believe they gave him 5 million a year without learning to play defense.

He was great defensively last year because him and Nisky were rock solid together. You don’t lose that overnight. He will be fine.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ferland is another banger, but, he can fit in the top-nine, which is nice - same with Simmonds. Imagine one of them on the ice with Willy boy. Wow.

Sorry. Come playoffs when he steps it up neither Ferland nor Simmonds bring as much destruction as Ovechkin who is on the ice with 43.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
He was great defensively last year because him and Nisky were rock solid together. You don’t lose that overnight. He will be fine.
He was acceptable last season. Not great, not good, but acceptable. The kid still has a lot to learn. Either that or he is choosing not to learn how to play defense. He better start soon. We got a bunch of young prospects who would love to have his spot.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Sorry. Come playoffs when he steps it up neither Ferland nor Simmonds bring as much destruction as Ovechkin who is on the ice with 43.
Oh, absolutely. I know Simmonds/Ferland would rarely be on the ice with Wilson, but, when they’d overlap it’d be interesting. Having another mini-Willy on another one of our lines would be awesome, regardless - a player that offers the same type of game.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Brads....I miss Brads sometimes.

I miss his ability to change a road game by getting cut and bleeding so profusely that it stunned the crowd and sucked the energy right out of the arena.

I am not joking. He would fight to change mo and it would work. Only, usually its winning a fight that has the most profound effect. He'd get his ass handed to him yet it never stopped him.

Brads greatest moment

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I miss his ability to change a road game by getting cut and bleeding so profusely that it stunned the crowd and sucked the energy right out of the arena.

I am not joking. He would fight to change mo and it would work. Only, usually its winning a fight that has the most profound effect. He'd get his ass handed to him yet it never stopped him.

Brads greatest moment

It's absurd that the Tampa announcers called Brads rushing off the bench to keep Ovie from having to fight "damning video." As if they wouldn't have feted Downie with endless hosannas for protecting Stamkos in the same way.

But really, looking at this years later, all you can think is how can Ovie even entertain getting into a face-punching contest with Steve f***in Downie. He even did the honorable thing of taking his helmet off, as if Downie had any honor! Brads must have been like every semi-level headed big guy at a bar with a drunk mouthy friend - can't believe I have to do this

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's absurd that the Tampa announcers called Brads rushing off the bench to keep Ovie from having to fight "damning video." ...

Good stuff Marcel. And coming off the bench.... play was still on. It's not like he touched of a bench clearer by being the clear first off the bench mega suspension.I didn't hear a whistle.

Kudos to Matt "Mouthpiece" Bradley for going straight at Downie regardless of any whistle.

Ovi was left standing there like DiNunncio in Caddyshack trying to fight Danny Noonan. You owe me one gumball machine. Ovi went after him right out of the box and was awfully quick to take off the gloves vs a known thug. Good job by the punk Downie, not many can get Ovi to drop them and that is a win for Tampa no matter what happens. Hockey could use more antagonists.

I want to see every player to go after anyone that tries to fight Ovi. Maybe Nick and Djoos get a free pass. Hopefully Bradley is scouting someone that will drop the mits to protect our king and savior.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad