Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 Still The Champs Edition - Pt. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If they think Nisky is on decline AND Jensen can play with Orlov and tougher matchups they can dump Nisky as a part of mid term plan of winning another cup.

Say "Ovi and Backy are old lets setup them with better chance of winning in 3-4 years down the road".

In this scenario its hard to see Niskanen as key player even with low salary.

On the other hand, trading him now possibly lands a good prospect who can have impact even beyond 8-19 career (doubtful, but the chance for one player should be there).

The risk is only worse results next year, i would say. Not significant at all. Not the biggest factor too. Can still make a trade at deadline and bring another jensen-type.

Jun 15, 2007
Niskanen to the Leafs makes a lot of sense if they can solve their Marleau problem.

We could get someone like Kapanen or Johnsson back, which would solve our lack of young skilled forwards problems

But Marleau has an NMC. So he basically only gets moved if he agrees. I think the Leafs are f***ed.

Reactions: um and kicksavedave

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Keeping prospects at #7 is pointless, they can be called up if needed

We can use Siege and Orpik to fill up the lineup. At least Siege has an apartment.

If Orpik wants that (and he knows what he would sing up for) who will argue? 1M out of respect.

I would be disappointed if Siegs isn’t here all year next year. I wanted limited Orpik last year and it sounds like maybe he played too much (knee). Maybe we can work it out next year where he plays 30ish games and helps in playoffs healthy.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would be disappointed if Siegs isn’t here all year next year. I wanted limited Orpik last year and it sounds like maybe he played too much (knee). Maybe we can work it out next year where he plays 30ish games and helps in playoffs healthy.

Same. I think both Siegs and Jensen acquitted themselves just fine in their first NHL playoffs. Neither were perfect, Jensen seemed a little rattled by the physicality at first, but he stepped into his role next to Orpik once TR settled on that pair, just fine. Siegs also had the calm smoothness he showed in the RS and paired with JC showed he could hang there. One or two rough plays but mostly solid. Barring a Nisky trade I think that is the 3rd pairing going into training camp and someone will have to beat them out.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think in Ovi's next contract he will take somewhat of a discount, I think Backy will get a modest raise unless he takes a long-term deal of 5+ years.

I think fans always want their stars to take hometown discounts to keep the team competitive, and neither Backie nor Ovi seem like the type of players to squeeze the team for every drop, but the team does need to be careful about team and cost if they want to field a Cup competitor around them. They don't have the luxury of another 10 year deal to spread out the hit, it will need to be a 3-5 year term roughly.

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
Watching San Jose, god I would love to have their mobility of d men like burns and Karlsson

If we could somehow trade Niski and sign Karlsson, we need to

Wasn’t it rumored that we we’re about to trade for him?

Sword

May 26, 2014
I'd like to improve our defense. Preds will most likely be looking to trade Subban. He's on the decline, but so is Karlsson.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Watching San Jose, god I would love to have their mobility of d men like burns and Karlsson

If we could somehow trade Niski and sign Karlsson, we need to

Wasn’t it rumored that we we’re about to trade for him?

Isn’t karlsson known more as an Efenseman?

IIRC, he was torched at times during the regular season, ditto for the playoffs.

Jun 15, 2007
Karlsson doesn't exactly fit our needs but it's not like guys like Ekholm and Lindell are available via trade.

My philosophy is that if an elite talent like Karlsson is available for nothing more than cap space, it would be a good add. Making the cap fit after is not a huge deal.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
On the other hand, trading him now possibly lands a good prospect who can have impact even beyond 8-19 career (doubtful, but the chance for one player should be there).

The issue with trading Niskanen is that you'd almost have to get either his replacement or the cap space and assets to acquire his replacement in the deal. In other words, if you trade him away, RD immediately becomes your biggest need.

So even if you can pull off something like Niskanen+ for Kapanen, you'd have to turn around and ink Kap's new deal AND go out and find a starting RD with the spare change. That's a tall order. Not having defensive depth crippled us this year, and we have no RDs in the system that're anywhere near ripe.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's disappointing that no young talent on the Caps has developed to the level that Rantanen is on the Avs. It would be nice if Vrana or Burakovsky could either turn into a Rantanen or be moved for a player that can produce like him.

Jun 15, 2007
It's disappointing that no young talent on the Caps has developed to the level that Rantanen is on the Avs. It would be nice if Vrana or Burakovsky could either turn into a Rantanen or be moved for a player that can produce like him.
That's the price of being a perennial contender.

Caps have done well with late firsts. Carlson and Kuznetsnov.

Reactions: um and calicapsfan

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Seems to me it makes more sense to trade Orlov.

Sure, if you hate Orlov. ;)

Both guys are pretty important to us, and trading Orlov leaves the same type of hole. Niskanen makes more sense to move. Even if you don't get the same stalwart player, it won't be hard to at least get faster at the position. And since Jensen can likely play 2RD minutes, you'd only have to go get a 3RD. 3RDs cost less and are easier to find than 2LDs.

Or you can stand pat and probably eke by with the cap space available.

I'm all for making a change if there's a deal to be made. My original point was just that moving Niskanen wouldn't open up cap space for us to go shopping. His replacement would be crucial and most likely not cheap.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure, if you hate Orlov. ;).

Nah. Simple three part equation.

1. The Caps primary young defensemen are left shot.
2. Orlov has never been the flight leader. He has always been wing man to Niskanen's lead.
3. Orlov has real value in a trade to a team that can properly use a left shot defenseman in their power play.

Its logic.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Sure, if you hate Orlov. ;)

Both guys are pretty important to us, and trading Orlov leaves the same type of hole. Niskanen makes more sense to move. Even if you don't get the same stalwart player, it won't be hard to at least get faster at the position. And since Jensen can likely play 2RD minutes, you'd only have to go get a 3RD. 3RDs cost less and are easier to find than 2LDs.

Or you can stand pat and probably eke by with the cap space available.

I'm all for making a change if there's a deal to be made. My original point was just that moving Niskanen wouldn't open up cap space for us to go shopping. His replacement would be crucial and most likely not cheap.
The problem with Orlov is will he live up to that contract. He is going to have to play the way he did in the playoffs 82 games a year. Orlov now has to be more consistant. Sorry thats just the truth. I know he is this forums binkie. I know this forum loves to defend this kid no matter what he does, but its time to start making him accountable. When is this guy going to grow up. I heard the "well he looks better" excuse before. Then he goes back to serving up turnovers again. The guy needs to take the next step next season, and right now i'm skeptical he can do it.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Nah. Simple three part equation.

1. The Caps primary young defensemen are left shot.
2. Orlov has never been the flight leader. He has always been wing man to Niskanen's lead.
3. Orlov has real value in a trade to a team that can properly use a left shot defenseman in their power play.

Its logic.
He was also Orpik's wingman as well. There is a reason he was put with those 2.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
@trading Orlov

Although there are many LD prospects in the system... replacing 38 years old Orpik is one thing and replacing Orlov is totally another. In playoffs Orlov was able to get some separation from opponent's defense and to make plays offensively. Wasn't ugly defensively. I dont see a problem with his contract. Also he's loyal team first guy and core friend of Russians who are backbone of the team (along with Backy).

So I'd say any LD prospect needs to displace Kempny before Orlov.

Also Orlov could be AA's mentor. Also can play right side (as long as we are moving in that direction anyway - no 3rd right handed RD after Niskanen).

I dont see him traded this or next season.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If he was concussed, then ice on his shoulder was the wrong place :) Seriously though, I felt his performance went down around that time, when the games with TB got really rough. Maybe it was the Gourde fight?

Maybe he fell on his left shoulder in that fight - was that the one getting iced? He obvious got cut, presumed from the visor....

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
OK, watched Connolly's

He (too) said Ovi's legend and you wont see anyone like him ever again! :P

Also he sounds rational about opportunities which are there for him. He can basically pick some team with bad depth at wing and good centers to play with. And that team will pay him.
No f***ing minuses. Bigger role, more money, can pick a market to some degree.

So Brett's gone.

Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad