Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Flyers 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just as long as I dont have to hear John Walton's call of the goal.
LOL. Agreed.
I hadn't heard the Pens announcers version of this yet. Their bitter tears are so delicious.

"The march of the Penguins is over".

"Alex Ovechkin and the Captials finally, finally find a way to get past Pittsburgh."
Pens' announcers? It's HNIC.

EDIT: also the very best part (beside the winning) is watching Letang slide into the boards and fumble around.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
LOL. Agreed.

Pens's announcers? It's HNIC.

EDIT: also the very best part (beside the winning) is watching Letang slide into the boards and fumble around.

I never really get much chance to listen to either the Pens or the HNIC announcers. And yeah the Letang slide into the boards was the sound of a window closing permanently. Delightful!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also, I doubt he gets scratched if he goes 10 games without a point if he's playing the right way. I also doubt he could go 10 games without any points, but the idea of variance in production is somewhat nullified by fancy stats. Fancy stats suggest you are playing the right way, doing the right things. Scoring involves those things too, but also involves some luck, some bounces. It was my point earlier that if he's playing the right way, the production will come, variance will smooth out, and he'll return to his normal rates. Lets just all hope he also gets hot/lucky soon and piles on some points so this debate doesn't go on forever.

My point is that production matters. Goals and assists matter for a player who gets paid for them. Thats all. Actually scratched or not. I dont know. There would be a full on shit storm for sure that would only get worse if the Cap havent won 6 or 7 of those 10 games

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
LOL. Agreed.

Pens' announcers? It's HNIC.

I am pretty sure that Walton himself cringes at the Kuzy goal call because he initially thinks the shot was stopped and says so. Doc had the best call of that goal. The only Pens call like Walton would have been on the radio

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
My point is that production matters. Goals and assists matter for a player who gets paid for them. Thats all. Actually scratched or not. I dont know. There would be a full on shit storm for sure that would only get worse if the Cap havent won 6 or 7 of those 10 games

Well you're right, there would be a shitstorm, because look at how half this board is ready to fire PL, fire GMBM, dump half the players and both goalies and start the rebuild, in the first period of a game we go on to win. I think a coach and GM have to look at different sample sizes, and I side more along the GM lines, looking at a whole season, the totality of the results, when determining a players value. Coaches need to dress the lineup they think gives them the chance to win tonight. GM's need to build a roster they think gives them a chance to win a Championship. Kuzy gives them a chance to win.

How Kuzy fits into both pictures is still TBD, except we know that when he's on he can deliver a championship. So I don't see GMBM dumping him out over the value of his contract unless his production AND overall play drop off a cliff, both well below what he's doing this minute. The fact that I expect his ppg to increase back to his career norms would also preclude that, but I'm usually wrong... except when it comes to Nick Jensen's goal scoring.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well you're right, there would be a shitstorm, because look at how half this board is ready to fire PL, fire GMBM, dump half the players and both goalies and start the rebuild, in the first period of a game we go on to win. I think a coach and GM have to look at different sample sizes, and I side more along the GM lines, looking at a whole season, the totality of the results, when determining a players value. Coaches need to dress the lineup they think gives them the chance to win tonight. GM's need to build a roster they think gives them a chance to win a Championship. Kuzy gives them a chance to win.

He has 3 even strenth points this season. Lets see if Lars Eller is playing more than Kuzy is regularly. The regular season when the Caps won the cup, Kuzy was 3rd among forwards in TOI/g at 18:49. Now he is 6th at 16:23. The year they won the cup he was a point per game player. Right now he is a half a point per game player

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He has 3 even strenth points this season. Lets see if Lars Eller is playing more than Kuzy is regularly. The regular season when the Caps won the cup, Kuzy was 3rd among forwards in TOI/g at 18:49. Now he is 6th at 16:23. The year they won the cup he was a point per game player. Right now he is a half a point per game player

Well OK, do you think he'll be a .55 ppg player the rest of the season, or rest of his career? What do you think he will put up when this season is over?

Apparently he also had Covid there for a while, so there is that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I will put up with a lot on the board, but I will not put up with the slander if Mr. John Walton, that man is a saint! Good day sir! .... slams door on way out.....

Yea, well....he goofed that call up. No way around it. He didnt see the puck go in. Do you listen to him much?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well OK, do you think he'll be a .55 ppg player the rest of the season, or rest of his career? What do you think he will put up when this season is over?

Apparently he also had Covid there for a while, so there is that.

Kuzy is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. I would love to see Kuzy back to a point per game player. That could happen. It could be that his mind is on his family. So, I dont know boss. In his last 10 games he has 1 ppg, 1 ppa, 1 even strenth assist. Its been 9 games since he has scored a goal.

Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Kuzy is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. I would love to see Kuzy back to a point per game player. That could happen. It could be that his mind is on his family. So, I dont know boss. In his last 10 games he has 1 ppg, 1 ppa, 1 even strenth assist. Its been 9 games since he has scored a goal.
But the heat maps...

Reactions: zappa4ever

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
This is a nice win. Team is playing well overall.

I remember when Trotz first came on it took about 25 games to get rolling (14 losses in the first 24 games). Hopefully this is a reflection of the team getting accustomed to a new system.

I think there was a stat a couple of games ago along the lines of Lavi having the best start for any coach in the Capitals history?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Scoreboard or scoresheet? Scoreboard tends to look good when he's on the ice

Its a team game. He gets credit for the production of the other 4? Here's something I wonder about. When Kuzy is on the ice, you would expect him to be the highest impact player on the ice. It seems odd that he rarely gets scoresheet cred for all the offense he produces. Its always 3 of the other 4. Another wonder. If their positive goal diff is a result of low goals for totals, why are they basically an offensive zone start only line?

Bah. Forget it.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Its a team game. He gets credit for the production of the other 4? Here's something I wonder about. When Kuzy is on the ice, you would expect him to be the highest impact player on the ice. It seems odd that he rarely gets scoresheet cred for all the offense he produces. Its always 3 of the other 4. Another wonder. If their positive goal diff is a result of low goals for totals, why are they basically an offensive zone start only line?

Bah. Forget it.

That's why I asked scoreboard or scoresheet. Scoreboard doesn't care who put the puck in the net just that it got into the net in the allotted time frame. If you investigate the scoreboard and work backwards you'll see a certain culprit on the scene a lot more when the opposing team gets violated on the scoreboard than our team.

That culprit? Evgeny Kuznetsov

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Yea, well....he goofed that call up. No way around it. He didnt see the puck go in. Do you listen to him much?
Yeah I do and I like his calls. He messed that up though, he has said he regrets messing up a big caps moment. I actually like waltons voice over Joe B.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah I do and I like his calls. He messed that up though, he has said he regrets messing up a big caps moment. I actually like waltons voice over Joe B.

Generally, I dont like him. I should say that I like him a lot. I dont like the programming that he provides. There's no way for me to know if he calls the shots on that or is following direction. I live in NC and work in points south from Savannah to Miami. 1500am is easy to hear up and down 95 and that is when I hear him. He does two things that make life difficult. He goes long periods without giving the score. He also does a lot of show prep. Stories and stats and trends. He gives you the show prep while the play is on because he has commercials and promos to do during stoppages. With regularity he will be giving you the show prep and suddenly the puck is in the net. What happened? He doesnt prioritize the play itself.

Somebody, either him or his boss that calls the shots thinks the actually play by play is boring. Its a shame

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's why I asked scoreboard or scoresheet. Scoreboard doesn't care who put the puck in the net just that it got into the net in the allotted time frame. If you investigate the scoreboard and work backwards you'll see a certain culprit on the scene a lot more when the opposing team gets violated on the scoreboard than our team.

FWIW, I was listening to yesterday's game on the radio while driving home from a hike and after the first period, Sabourin and Walton were talking at length about Kuzy and how disappointing he's been this year/how plainly he's not contributing the way he should so far this season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Its a team game. I find it very unlikely that as a matter of course Kuznetsov being on the ice is responsible for goals for that he is not involved in the play. Next thing you know Kuzy's being on the ice when someone scores a goal will be as valuable Ov actually scoring one.

Let me ask. I dont know where to look this up. How many even strenth goals for has Kuznetsov been on the ice for this season?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
FWIW, I was listening to yesterday's game on the radio while driving home from a hike and after the first period, Sabourin and Walton were talking at length about Kuzy and how disappointing he's been this year/how plainly he's not contributing the way he should so far this season.

Yea, but those guys are just using the eye test and the stat sheet. Not what is really important

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yea, but those guys are just using the eye test and the stat sheet. Not what is really important

All those years of hockey experience....negated by some heat maps....

I think people who know this game have a decent grasp of how much value 92 is returning with his current level of play.

#realproductioniscoming

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All those years of hockey experience....negated by some heat maps....

I think people who know this game have a decent grasp of how much value 92 is returning with his current level of play.

#realproductioniscoming

You know....geez....I think George expect goals and assists from his top offensive players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad