GDT: Caps @ Flyers - 11/01/13 7 PM

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Never been this embarrassed of this team after a win. I mean hockey wise this was a very good game after the 1st period but this is just ridiculous.

They just let Emery absolutely hammer Holtby who wanted no part of that fight. Referee was clearly not going to jump in and if this happened to any other team in the NHL then there would definitely been several players left the bench to protect their starting goaltender get pounded in the back of the head while being down. I can understand Wilson's case in this because he was in that Simmonds fight when that happened, but rest of the players on the ice? That's just embarrassing.

Lost lots of respect in Brayden Schenn aswell. Gets Urbom's helmet off and start the fight with a way too early cheapshot. He came back well but he got pounded at the start because of that cheapshot.

They are addressing team physicality but this team desperately needs a true enforcer, and hopefully it is one not named Erskine. Their starting goaltender got pounded in a fight he wanted no part of and that is actually very dangerous when someone who has trained boxing pounds you in the back of the head when you are down. Backstrom's head was targeted again by Grossmann and no respond to that either. And then there is Rinaldo floating around and trying to injure players and there are no response after that hit on Erat? That was very dangerous because he came long way and hammered him into the boards from behind.

Hoping for Rechlicz, Wilson and Erskine all to be dressed when they play Philly again at home. They are joke of a team right now and after all those cheapshots they need to avoid that happening again there. Someone should jump Emery the second that game starts and give him a pounding of a lifetime for what he did there.

And that ref who wasn't able to keep that goalie fight from happening and then was just watching and waiving Caps players away from it when Holtby is getting beaten like a dog seriously needs to get fired. I know it's linesmen's job to break a fight but it's refs job to not allow it happen in the first place when other goalie clearly wants nothing to do with it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I thought the Flyers feed of Wilson and Simmonds fighting was funny. Wilson's a big boy, but Simmonds is just a little shorter, probably heavier and way more experienced. I was impressed with how he handled himself with Simmonds who is a pretty decent fighter.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Gonzo, there's probably some context missing... I should have said "Why would Emery even challenge a guy who has a shutout going, no way is he going to get accept a challenge at that point".

Which of course is why Emery had to go Central Park on him.

I appreciate the explanation and apologize for the assumption.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Wilson hasn't earned anything. I am just not seeing the skill that some of you are.

Yeah I agree. I understand that big guys take longer to develop but I'm looking for some sign, anything, that tells me he has some skill with the puck. I'm not sure I've ever seen him do anything impressive besides clocking people. He did have a couple nice shots last night I guess.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If you are looking for flashes of offensive skill from Wilson, don't, at least when Latta and Beagle are his centers. He is a big RW shot now and without a play making/possession center to compliment him, keep a low expectation bar for flashes of high end skill in 7TOI. It's not really him anyways, and no one said it was. We just all hope he will become that. Its hockey, extreme patience is required for developing many players. We are at game 12, not year 12. Yet it appears an expectation of high end talent was formed when he was drafted in the 1st round.

I bet MP would have been a good bottom 6 center for him.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah I agree. I understand that big guys take longer to develop but I'm looking for some sign, anything, that tells me he has some skill with the puck. I'm not sure I've ever seen him do anything impressive besides clocking people. He did have a couple nice shots last night I guess.
I've seen him do some good things down low in terms of funneling pucks to the net for chances. He doesn't just skate around hitting and handle the puck with blinders when he has it. He has some awareness in his game. He and Latta both are pretty decent creating down low and hopefully they keep that trio together for a while. Fehr should sit once Ovechkin is ready IMO.

Wilson had a strong far side pad shot that Volpatti should have potted for another goal last night (shortly before Volpatti's interference penalty). He had a deflection chance in the third that might have been his best opportunity for a goal yet.

I haven't seen much skill in open ice or anything to suggest pure sniping ability but I'm not concerned. Confidence and experience can help him take his game to the next level and typically power forwards do require patience.

dookie88

Aug 18, 2008
Germany
I thought the Flyers feed of Wilson and Simmonds fighting was funny. Wilson's a big boy, but Simmonds is just a little shorter, probably heavier and way more experienced. I was impressed with how he handled himself with Simmonds who is a pretty decent fighter.

Wayne Simmonds, listed at 6'2 183lbs (probably at 200lbs in reality):
wayne_simmonds.jpg%3Fw%3D620

Tom Wilson, listed at 6'4 210lbs:
tom-wilson-connor-carrick.jpg

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm not overly concerned with no one stepping in for Holts. That's an automatic 10 game suspension if I'm not mistaken. Volpatti and Olesky crushed Downie and Lecavapuss, Urbom recovered against Schenn's cheap ass, and Wilson looked fine against Simmonds. I was actually impressed we had 4 guys on the ice who could scrap -- not sure when the last time was that we had that.

Not understanding the Wilson hate, at all. He's exactly what we've needed. I would obviously like to see more offensive production, but I believe it'll come. He's playing with more confidence every game.

Really liked the line combinations, but I wish Oates would stop starting 20-21-whoever. They just don't start well; start the Grabo line and let them establish the forecheck. Can't say enough good things about MaJo. I thought he was a bust coming into this season but he looks vastly improved. Just wish he had a little better scoring touch. Erat is proving he belongs in the top 6 -- he and Backstrom look to have decent chemistry. Hopefully Nicky will remember he's allowed to shoot the even when Ovie returns.

Looking more and more evident that Chimmer was battling injuries last year. He's playing outstanding hockey and that speed is back. Grabo is the perfect compliment for him and Wardo.

Impressed with Urbom and Schmidt. Green, not so much. Dude looks like he doesn't give one single ****. I can deal with his lackadaisical play if he's scoring, but he's not so he frustrates me. He will be our undoing in the play offs.

Happy to see Holts get the shutout -- to me that was the ultimate troll job last night. **** the Flyers.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Please.

This team is so soft.

Cue eff tee.

Caps did a wonderful job of looking like daisies in a blowout win.

Ed - you know, actually I'll admit I'm overreacting, after I read the Flyers injury report. Still wished the Caps had been more physical (and prepared) for the Flyers' goonery, but they acquitted themselves better than I thought.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It would seem Vinny was the only one to lose teeth

Its nice to have good fighters so that when the **** goes down, and it always does, we can stand up for ourselves.

Hats off to George with 4 pugilists on the ice last night, that no one even projected to be in our lineup at all a year ago.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Never been this embassed of this team after a win. I mean hockey wise this was a very good game after the 1st period but this is just ridiculous.

Don't be so dramatic. These guys are taught from a young age not to be the 3rd man in, there was a ref standing right there, and everything happened very quickly. Yeah, someone probably should have jumped Emery, but it's really not the end of the world. The Caps won 7-0, two Flyers are hurt, and there will be suspensions.

Enjoy a great win for once.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Never been this embarrassed of this team after a win. I mean hockey wise this was a very good game after the 1st period but this is just ridiculous. . . . .

Coming off the bench to join a fight will get you 10 games--we already saw that with Clarkson. Players already on the ice tried to get in and the ref waved them away; what would have happened if they deliberately ignored the ref? All of this happened in what--less than 20 seconds? The guys more than likely expected the ref to break it up. The fact that he didn't is crazy. Did you see Carlson steaming? Players were shocked.

In the end this was probably a major bonding experience for the team.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Don't be so dramatic. These guys are taught from a young age not to be the 3rd man in, there was a ref standing right there, and everything happened very quickly. Yeah, someone probably should have jumped Emery, but it's really not the end of the world. The Caps won 7-0, two Flyers are hurt, and there will be suspensions.

Not possible for some. Did you hear about the Red Sox fan who called in the morning after they won the WS to complain about Ferrell's decisions the previous night? Check it out -- mind blowing.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Skins and Caps - agree with your take. Hard to decide to take the automatic 10-gamer there. Might have been worth it though and we're lucky it wasn't necessary - but the Caps otherwise stood up for themselves pretty well. Just as they did in that exhibition game donnybrook with Philly where Wrecker played.

On another note - what the hell happened to Giroux and Hartnell. They have fallen off the face of the earth.

superglove39

Mar 29, 2008

The ref repeatedly waved off the other Caps players who were coming to Holby's aid. It's easily seen in the videos. That same ref had an easy early entry to stop the goalie fight, but instead skated back and watched as Emery was targeting and punching Holtby's head. The ref made some bad choices, and should be disciplined, but wouldn't hold my breath on that from this NHL.

The NHL professes, regulates and referees to stop targeting of head shots, but in a fight where one is repeatedly punching the head of another (who is not or can not defend themselves), with the ref not only standing by and observing, but actively stopping antoher Cap from helping--is blatant hypocrisy. Shame on the Flyers. Shame on that ref. Shame on the NHL.

Otherwise, a great game if you are a Caps fan, and I enjoyed it quite a bit! :sarcasm:

Emery is a putz! Clear and simple.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
When Brower scored that 6th goal..like a veteran no celebration. In the big picture a hat trick for Ward for the next goal was likely unfortunate as for the caps a most unlikely player to record a hat trick and there was moderate celebration. Pretty much knew at that point something was going to happen...which was fine with Simmons/Wilson but Emery...sigh. But St. Lauren...go frak yourself.

I'm sure St. Lauren was chased down by McPhee in the hallway after last night, LOL.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Coming off the bench to join a fight will get you 10 games--we already saw that with Clarkson. Players already on the ice tried to get in and the ref waved them away; what would have happened if they deliberately ignored the ref? All of this happened in what--less than 20 seconds? The guys more than likely expected the ref to break it up. The fact that he didn't is crazy. Did you see Carlson steaming? Players were shocked.

In the end this was probably a major bonding experience for the team.

I'm not really in favour of players coming off the bench and taking that 10 game suspension but this was one situation where nobody would have blamed if someone did it. Your starting goaltender is getting pounded in the back of his head when he is down by a guy who has trained boxing. That is actually very dangerous situation and NHL really dodged a bullet here that Holtby didn't get injured.

champ19

May 1, 2010
Lets see, Erat on the top line,Johannson at 2/3 line center, Fehr on the right wing, Latta at 4th line center, no Erskine. There's a place for everything and everything has a place. There is hope for this team yet.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
Well said!

Total agreement. This team is a trainwreck, Berube now at the "helm?" but i would argue this locker room is in shambles....bringing in Downie, LOL. BSB are back! The true problem is their defense, and really think this is why the top guys are struggling because they cant get the possession pinned in their own end. Very similar problem we have had at times, not as much this year. Time for the Flyers to blow this thing up...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Skins and Caps - agree with your take. Hard to decide to take the automatic 10-gamer there. Might have been worth it though and we're lucky it wasn't necessary - but the Caps otherwise stood up for themselves pretty well. Just as they did in that exhibition game donnybrook with Philly where Wrecker played.

On another note - what the hell happened to Giroux and Hartnell. They have fallen off the face of the earth.

Taking a 10 gamer is not worth it, at all. That's why I'm not sure why there is so much butt hurt over it. Maybe Volpatti, maybe, but I'd much rather have him out there with Latta and Wilson than in the press box. Next game call up Wrecker.

Giroux has to be injured. Either that or the Flyers are ****ed with that contract.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Bob Mackenzie says Lecavalier out for a couple of weeks.
Downie still in hospital this morning. Hope they have a handle on whatever damage was done there; orbital bone, internal bleeding - not really sure. In case anymore evidence was needed to debunk the canard that no one gets hurt in hockey fight, that tilt did it. Hope he gets fixed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad