Post-Game Talk: Caps def. Canucks - 2-1 (Boeser) | Sad Trombone Sound

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I just don't think that Tocchet hockey suits EP's skill set and we are seeing him struggle to adapt. The way we play is tailor-made for JTM or even guys like Joshua to flourish.

It may take the offseason for the player, the coaches, and management to all adjust and work on the best way to unlock EP's skillset. We have him signed for 8 years and we can't just trade him away like Kuz. Need to find a way to make it work.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I just don't think that Tocchet hockey suits EP's skill set and we are seeing him struggle to adapt. The way we play is tailor-made for JTM or even guys like Joshua to flourish.

It may take the offseason for the player, the coaches, and management to all adjust and work on the best way to unlock EP's skillset. We have him signed for 8 years and we can't just trade him away like Kuz. Need to find a way to make it work.
It’s not the system it’s the quality of players around him tbh

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Agreed. Pettersson has devolved into a checking center playing with guys like Lafferty, Suter, Hoglander (a middle 6 checking forward), Mikheyev etc.

Last night Pettersson made 2 offensive zone entries and slid the puck to Suter who dumps it… wasted possession and another one to Lafferty (gets puck stripped immediately) and then possession quickly goes back the other way.

The 5 games he was with the lotto line, he had 14 points and led the entire line in points and goals. There aren’t many stars in the league who can produce playing with the other linemates he’s had.

Pastrnak plays with Marchand.

Nylander has at least one of Matthews/Tavares/Marner on his line.

Barkov plays with Reinhart and Verhaege.

McDavid plays with Hyman/Draisaitl.

Draisaitl plays with Hyman/McDavid/RNH.

Panarin plays with Kreider/Zibanejad + Fox.

Mackinnon plays with Rantanen and Nichuskin + Makar.

Miller plays with Boeser and Hughes plays with them for majority of his shifts.

Kucherov plays with Point and Stamkos + Hedman.

Robertson plays with Hintz and Pavelski.

Aho plays with Svechnikov and Necas.

Eichel plays with Barbashev/Marchessault/Stone.

Kaprizov plays with JEE and one of Boldy/Zuccarello interchangeably.

Larkin plays with Debrincat and either Kane/Raymond.

Pettersson plays with… Suter, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, insert a bottom 6 forward.

The fact that he’s still nearing 100 points playing with these guys assures me there’s another level to his game that can really only be achieved by playing with literal top 6 forwards.
We really need Lekker to pan out

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Yeah, EP is good enough to be good in all types of systems but (hyperbole incoming) it's like telling Gretzky to play on the deadpuck era Devils. This is where I think, as you said, we need to go find him a great Tocchet style winger(s) to play with and help him out. Like, McDavid doesn't need help but the Oilers still went and spent $40M on Hyman to play with him.

Reactions: Flik

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Pettersson has devolved into a checking center playing with guys like Lafferty, Suter, Hoglander (a middle 6 checking forward), Mikheyev etc.

Last night Pettersson made 2 offensive zone entries and slid the puck to Suter who dumps it… wasted possession and another one to Lafferty (gets puck stripped immediately) and then possession quickly goes back the other way.

The 5 games he was with the lotto line, he had 14 points and led the entire line in points and goals. There aren’t many stars in the league who can produce playing with the other linemates he’s had.

Pastrnak plays with Marchand.

Nylander has at least one of Matthews/Tavares/Marner on his line.

Barkov plays with Reinhart and Verhaege.

McDavid plays with Hyman/Draisaitl.

Draisaitl plays with Hyman/McDavid/RNH.

Panarin plays with Kreider/Zibanejad + Fox.

Mackinnon plays with Rantanen and Nichuskin + Makar.

Miller plays with Boeser and Hughes plays with them for majority of his shifts.

Kucherov plays with Point and Stamkos + Hedman.

Robertson plays with Hintz and Pavelski.

Aho plays with Svechnikov and Necas.

Eichel plays with Barbashev/Marchessault/Stone.

Kaprizov plays with JEE and one of Boldy/Zuccarello interchangeably.

Larkin plays with Debrincat and either Kane/Raymond.

Pettersson plays with… Suter, Lafferty, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, insert a bottom 6 forward.

The fact that he’s still nearing 100 points playing with these guys assures me there’s another level to his game that can really only be achieved by playing with literal top 6 forwards.

Still want to see him get more icetime together with Lindholm to see if they can get going.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The 2nd and 3rd lines just don't work.

Pettersson needs better linemates.

Lindholm clearly can't carry a line as the 3C.

Put Lindholm with Pettersson. Put Blueger back as the 3C with Garland.
I think Joshua Blueger Garland line back together is a lock when healthy.

We basically have 14 games to figure out how to get the best out of Petey and Lindholm.

I guess a lot of it depends on if you think Petey Hog Lindholm line can work. If not you pretty much have to reunite the lotto line and designate Lindholm as a shutdown line with Mikheyev and another winger.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Petey was drafted in 2017.

He is a veteran now.

He is going to be one of the highest paid players in the league.

He can't be a "feast or famine" guy anymore. He can't just put up points when he is "feeling it"...he wanted and got the huge contract, now he needs to perform like a franchise level player WHEN it counts.

Was tonight a "statement game" after the last letdown? F#cking rights it was. 11 shots on goal through 2 periods on home ice. That's not going to get sh!t done.
1710694911898.png

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Holy christ, I have now read this entire thread and I'm somehow still shocked even after all these years at how emotionally immature a lot of posters on these boards are. I don't know what else to call it.

So we have a 25 year old center who is on pace for his 2nd 95+ point season in a row as a player who will likely win Selkes in his career, but now we wish we dealt him for some mediocre magic beans?

Do people not understand how volatile the game of hockey is? Especially over a span of 82 games. Sometimes the puck finds you, other times it doesn't.
Then you start over thinking and go into a slump.

Then you find your way out of the slump and things go well for you. Neither of these statuses is 'who you really are'.

"Imagine if Petey played his best for the entire year". And what, scored 180 points a season? There have been like 10 players in NHL history who exceed the expectations some people set for Petey.

But we have seen this with Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko, etc.

Every time one of them struggles, there's like 9 chicken littles who want to deal them and lament that we didn't get a 2nd round pick and a shitty 2nd liner for them.

I'm curious, do you break up with your partner and move out of the house every time you have a disagreement? Or do you ever think that maybe, just maybe, there's some volatility to life and some mitigating circumstances that render it beneficial to be a little bit more thoughtful from time to time?

Hfboards has this elitist perspective that looks down on reddit and other comment boards, and I want so badly for it to live up to that smugness. And sometimes it does. But stuff like this belongs on facebook comments, not a messageboard dedicated to the sport.
Quoting this because you hit it out of the park.

I honestly think sometimes passion overcomes the posters fingers upon typing. We are only human after all!

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I think for this system to work for EP you need a good F1 on his line.

Miller is the best F1 on our team so his line will always be one step ahead.

Joshua is brilliant at it, and Garland + Joshua line was magnificent.

Problem is, Elias Lindholm also needs a heavy forechecking forward on his line.

I think the more days go by the more it seems that Lindholm in his current form is a really awkward fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Holy christ, I have now read this entire thread and I'm somehow still shocked even after all these years at how emotionally immature a lot of posters on these boards are. I don't know what else to call it.

So we have a 25 year old center who is on pace for his 2nd 95+ point season in a row as a player who will likely win Selkes in his career, but now we wish we dealt him for some mediocre magic beans?

Do people not understand how volatile the game of hockey is? Especially over a span of 82 games. Sometimes the puck finds you, other times it doesn't.
Then you start over thinking and go into a slump.

Then you find your way out of the slump and things go well for you. Neither of these statuses is 'who you really are'.

"Imagine if Petey played his best for the entire year". And what, scored 180 points a season? There have been like 10 players in NHL history who exceed the expectations some people set for Petey.

But we have seen this with Hughes, Boeser, Miller, Demko, etc.

Every time one of them struggles, there's like 9 chicken littles who want to deal them and lament that we didn't get a 2nd round pick and a shitty 2nd liner for them.

I'm curious, do you break up with your partner and move out of the house every time you have a disagreement? Or do you ever think that maybe, just maybe, there's some volatility to life and some mitigating circumstances that render it beneficial to be a little bit more thoughtful from time to time?

Hfboards has this elitist perspective that looks down on reddit and other comment boards, and I want so badly for it to live up to that smugness. And sometimes it does. But stuff like this belongs on facebook comments, not a messageboard dedicated to the sport.
That is a really good post.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Tocchet put the lotto line together with around 4 min left.. Why not do that to start the 3rd period down by 1 goal? Or better yet, do that to start the game to build up a lead. His stubbornness is showing lately.

Reactions: David71

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think time to try the lotto line again to see if miller and boeser can energize ep. that or try lindholm with boeser/miller which if they already did i don't remember so it must have been bad.

suter and blueger are no longer playing above their pay grades. garland still misses joshua and lindholm adds very little. lafferty is down to a trickle.

pettersson had a little bump after he signed but is back to the trend of being an opportunist not a play driver as the season moves along.

lindholm continues to push a broom. the guy makes no effort to take the reigns as a centre on any line he plays for and basically becomes garland's winger in terms of puck distribution priority once they get ozone possession, yet he does not seek out scoring chances. how he thinks he gets more than $6m next season playing like this i do not know.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
We let that fat piece of shit score ew

i had the opposite reaction

if we were going to just pass it around the perimeter until hrobek or miller misses the net, why not let OV score?

hell not only was i disappointed that hronek made the defensive play, i kinda wanted the keep the net open after and give him a shot at the hat trick

I guess a lot of it depends on if you think Petey Hog Lindholm line can work. If not you pretty much have to reunite the lotto line and designate Lindholm as a shutdown line with Mikheyev and another winger.

actually i don’t hate that

assuming we get dak back and in good shape, i want to see two lineup sets going into the playoffs.

suter lindholm mikheyev
dak bluegers garland
hog laf/aman pod/laf/pdg

our shutdown second line takes on the tough matchups, and the big guns can focus on scoring. but it all depends on the third line coming back and bring the best third line in hockey again.

but in the meantime, i’d like to see what lindholm can do with good players. we’re at home, we’re practicing, we have the playoff spot locked up. why not try

hog petey boeser
miller lindholm pod
pdg blueger garland
mik suter laf?

ideally there woukd be one more talented winger to give to one of the top two lines (ahem, toffoli), but both garland and mik are play killers. i’d keep them away from petey and lindholm as much as possible.

Reactions: credulous

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The 2nd and 3rd lines just don't work.

Pettersson needs better linemates.

Lindholm clearly can't carry a line as the 3C.

Put Lindholm with Pettersson. Put Blueger back as the 3C with Garland.

Or just reunite the Lotto line and run:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Mikheyev
Suter - Blueger - Garland
Pod - Lafferty - PDG

Move Suter down to center the fourth line when Joshua's back and call it a day.

Reactions: Kryten

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jeff Paterson had a good take on the state of the Canucks since the all-star break on Canucks Army. They're basically 9-10, even factoring in the single points from OT losses.

Seems that neither the rest over the all-star break nor the acquisitions of Lindholm and Zadorov have made much difference to this team. Maybe it's just the inevitable lull in an 82-game marathon schedule. And key injuries to some of their bigger players like Soucy, Joshua and Myers.

But the reality is, last night's effort against the Caps isn't an isolated game. This team has been 'up-and-down' for awhile. And if the big guns are struggling right now, what does it say about their chances in the playoffs?

Reactions: Jay26 and B-rock

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Or just reunite the Lotto line and run:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Mikheyev
Suter - Blueger - Garland
Pod - Lafferty - PDG

Move Suter down to center the fourth line when Joshua's back and call it a day.

I don't think Lindholm is capable of carrying an effective offensive line at C. To me he should be 100% a winger aside from some specific defensive situations.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Yes. He was stapled with two struggling players for a good portion of the year. Mikh in particular bc as advertised he just couldn’t get anything going in the O-zone. I have a bit of grace for that, in that in his own end he was still engaged and his injury. That said, I’ve never seen a player who in the past had scored 20 goals look that way. It’s not even hyperbole to say plays died as soon as the puck hit his stick.

We can talk about HOW hes handling that mentally, but to get metaphorical we have a Murcielago or Porsche 911 (never forget) and it’s being driven by teenagers who just got their L. Idk if that makes sense to you, it makes sense in my head though.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't think Lindholm is capable of carrying an effective offensive line at C. To me he should be 100% a winger aside from some specific defensive situations.

If you want an effective two-way line, he should not be relied upon as the “driver” or your best offensive threat. I have no idea why they did the 3C duty for him I assume Joshua’s injury. But I think the best fit on the current build of the team is on the wing, and if one of EP Miller goes down, he can slot in to the C.

Reactions: MS

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yes. He was stapled with two struggling players for a good portion of the year. Mikh in particular bc as advertised he just couldn’t get anything going in the O-zone. I have a bit of grace for that, in that in his own end he was still engaged and his injury. That said, I’ve never seen a player who in the past had scored 20 goals look that way. It’s not even hyperbole to say plays died as soon as the puck hit his stick.

We can talk about HOW hes handling that mentally, but to get metaphorical we have a Murcielago or Porsche 911 (never forget) and it’s being driven by teenagers who just got their L. Idk if that makes sense to you, it makes sense in my head though.
Yes that makes sense. Like a Porsche 911 with a Nissan CVT transmission.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not sure why management went after Lindholm if they clearly seen he can’t carry a line by himself. If they got him so he can play in the top 6 as a winger, then that’s on coaching staff.

Otherwise this trade looks like a real mess and probably a learning lesson that what you think fits on paper isn’t exactly the way it’s going to go.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
In Cancun and didn’t watch the game but it’s great to see some of you come around.

Eli-Ass Petterson is his contract have handcuffed permanently with this core

Yes. We should have taken the Canes package. Good to see some of you coming around.

Just wait till the playoffs. Dudes gonna get rag dolled and sulk the entire time.

All world skill. Not a winner.

• Haha
Reactions: NailsHoglander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad