Post-Game Talk: Caps def. Canucks - 2-1 (Boeser) | Sad Trombone Sound

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Watched tonight's Leafs-Hurricanes game and focused on Martin Necas......if indeed he was part of a potential trade package for Pettersson as rumored, before he finally signed, then it might be the worst trade the Canucks never made.

Necas looks almost close to McDavid and McKinnon in terms of his speed through the neutral zone. The way Petey's going right now, a package from Carolina based on Necas and maybe Kotkaniemi and Jarvis, would look pretty good.
I actually had the exact same thought tonight.
When I heard that rumour a couple weeks ago, I was actually kinda stoked. I wish the Canucks had done it.

Most Canucks fans (and certainly the media) just want Pettersson to be something he isn't. Something they thought he'd become based on the enormous sample size of his first 10 NHL games 5.5 years ago.
He is not a franchise player, and is now one of the most overpayed players in the league.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Calgary is great for a middle class family. Can't see it being that much fun for a multimillionaire athlete who can live essentially anywhere in the world they want.

Pettersson is now being paid like McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Panarin.

He's also the last of those five I'd want, if I'm being honest.

I very much doubt it was the city of Calgary that inspired Lindholm to turn down a long-term extension there. It's just fine for multimillionaire athletes too, with plenty of swanky little enclaves overlooking the mountains and a decent array of "fancy things for rich people" to do, including Banff and Lake Louise just down the road.

I'm pretty sure that was wholly a matter of seeing the direction the Flames were heading and wanting right the heck off a sinking ship. Which he got. From there, it's either he clicks in Vancouver and signs there...or he's a UFA and can pick whatever other landing spot he likes, that he thinks can be competitive.

Hasn't done himself any favours with his play in Vancouver...but at the end of the day, i think the league generally knows what he is. I don't think this little stint with Vancouver was ever going to move the needle massively in either direction.

I swear to God it was bad ice tonight, you can’t convince me otherwise.

It was absolutely terrible. It's embarrassing.

Problem is though...unless they actually figure out how to make better ice in the next couple weeks, the team is going to have to find ways to play better on bad ice. Because half their games in the playoffs are going to be on this bad ice. But it absolutely played right into the Capitals hands tonight. Just dump it out, dump it in, golf the puck around, go to the net and hope for a few bounces. Inelegant rope a dope hockey...but the Canucks didn't have an answer for it.

yeah he's gonna end up somewhere with a star winger and have a "resurgence". i'm not blaming garland for lindholm's struggles but garland has always struggled to find fit with his centers and playing him with lindholm certainly isn't helping his (edit: lindholm's) game

Yeah. That's exactly what Lindholm is. He's a "facilitator". Plays good quiet two-way complementary hockey...and that's about it. He can do it at a pretty uniquely high level that can even look like a #1C on the stat sheet in the right situation. But he's basically just going to play up or down to his linemates in terms of offensive productivity.

And right now, none of his linemates or even prospective linemates are playing "up". If he jived with Pettersson, and Petey wasn't playing like he's intent on sleepwalking through the rest of the season, i bet he'd look like a completely different player and people would be wringing their hands over whether we can afford to re-sign Lindholm or not. But that's not happening right now...and Pettersson and Miller are really the only two Forwards we have who i'd categorize as quality Top-6 Play Drivers offensively. :dunno:

Reactions: Indiana

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Let's not start the Pettersson contract whining/scapegoating after every pointless game. It's going to get extremely f***ing old. And I just gotta say, the Petey hate-fest for the past few months is genuinely f***ing WIERD. He is a 100 point talent 25-year-old center who is above average defensively. He plays with literal 3rd liners and they don't use him on the powerplay correctly, despite that he very well may hit 100 points this year. Yes, that is an 11.6 million player. "He's not as noticeable as McDavid or MacKinnon therefore he is overpaid" is a braindead take.

The other thing I find funny is this narrative that he will disappear in the playoffs. He has played in the playoffs once and put up 18 points in 17 games. In the SHL in his draft+1 season he put up 19 points in 13 games and helped his team win the championship.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
When I heard that rumour a couple weeks ago, I was actually kinda stoked. I wish the Canucks had done it.

Most Canucks fans (and certainly the media) just want Pettersson to be something he isn't. Something they thought he'd become based on the enormous sample size of his first 10 NHL games 5.5 years ago.
He is not a franchise player, and is now one of the most overpayed players in the league.
The thing is, he could be. He gets 100 point seasons despite taking nights off and being frustrating to watch. IF he takes it to the next level and does a Mackinnon type focus he would be unstoppable. Currently though I just want him as a winger and use Lindholm as the 2C

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Let's not start the Pettersson contract whining/scapegoating after every pointless game. It's going to get extremely f***ing old. And I just gotta say, the Petey hate-fest for the past few months is genuinely f***ing WIERD. He is a 100 point talent 25-year-old center who is above average defensively. He plays with literal 3rd liners and they don't use him on the powerplay correctly, despite that he very well may hit 100 points this year. Yes, that is an 11.6 million player. "He's not as noticeable as McDavid or MacKinnon therefore he is overpaid" is a braindead take.

The other thing I find funny is this narrative that he will disappear in the playoffs. He has played in the playoffs once and put up 18 points in 17 games. In the SHL in his draft+1 season he put up 19 points in 13 games and helped his team win the championship.
Have you actually been watching him?

Newsflash: this ain't the same Pettersson from the 2018 SHL playoffs or 2020 bubble NHL playoffs. Also, I'd be shocked if he hit 100 points this year.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Gimme a recent comp. He's soon to be a back to back 100 point seasons defensively plus centre. Factor in scoring inflation if needed.

Edit- he may fall short of 100 I hear. Request still stands.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Horvat and Kuz were massive factors to the teams powerplay, and overall goal scoring. They were never replaced.

Really wanted the team to push for Nylander pre-season, and after the Lindholm disappointment, Hertl should have been on the menu,

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I opened the post-game thread expecting disappointment, instead everyone is panicking about EP's contract and Lindholm's spent pick (in a weak back half of the draft btw), over a loss to a team looking to nail down a playoff spot out East.

Every 'contender' has not looked good at some point in the season. Colorado slumped. Vegas is slumping right now. Edmonton slumped against a tough opening month schedule. Winnipeg looked like they couldn't score a goal for a long time. Rangers had a slump in January. Boston is looking more ordinary lately. Carolina has been consistent, while the Panthers are on fire after a slow start. Dallas hasn't held onto 1st at any point. Yet all of these teams are supposedly ahead of the Canucks on the contenders list.

The talking heads don't like being surprised by the Canucks, so they are trying to push this 'mirage' narrative, don't fall for it.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I opened the post-game thread expecting disappointment, instead everyone is panicking about EP's contract and Lindholm's spent pick (in a weak back half of the draft btw), over a loss to a team looking to nail down a playoff spot out East.

Every 'contender' has not looked good at some point in the season. Colorado slumped. Vegas is slumping right now. Edmonton slumped against a tough opening month schedule. Winnipeg looked like they couldn't score a goal for a long time. Rangers had a slump in January. Boston is looking more ordinary lately. Carolina has been consistent, while the Panthers are on fire after a slow start. Dallas hasn't held onto 1st at any point. Yet all of these teams are supposedly ahead of the Canucks on the contenders list.

The talking heads don't like being surprised by the Canucks, so they are trying to push this 'mirage' narrative, don't fall for it.
Buddy has laid down the hammer.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Have you actually been watching him?

Newsflash: this ain't the same Pettersson from the 2018 SHL playoffs or 2020 bubble NHL playoffs. Also, I'd be shocked if he hit 100 points this year.
Yes I actually watch him, which is how I am able to know that the narratives and hate are way out of proportion.

2020 Bubble Petey:
68 games played 66 points, played with Boeser & Miller (NHL top line talents)

2024 Worst Player in history Petey:
68 games played, 79 points, plays with 3rd line talents

Yea you are right it is not the same player, it is a much better player.

These Petey takes are so out of whack with reality I truly find it strange. And you would be shocked if a guy on pace for 95 points gets 100 pts? Interesting.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
When Petey is on his game, he’s much better than Necas. Problem is we haven’t seen that consistently for a while.

Could Petey be nursing some injury??

People always jump to, "is he injured???" with Pettersson. But at this point...no. He's not injured. This is just the way his game comes and goes. It's happened off and on throughout his career.

Part of it might still may just be that he's physically not very strong or robustly built. I can see how that might make it hard for him to sustain that top level that he's capable of through the whole grind of a season. Very plausible that he's just tired, worn down, whatever. Conserving energy. That's what it looks like most of the time he goes into these little funks. More so than some specific "injury".

Yeah. Here's hoping he can really dial up the intensity and thrive in the playoffs again. There are reasons for optimism on that front. But that doesn't make it any less frustrating to have a guy seems like he could be so much better.

A guy who doesn't give you the sort of "steady" play you expect from a star "franchise player". It's far more volatile...with extremely high "highs" but also much deeper troughs with the "lows". Like right now...where there are just too many nights like tonight where you can tell that if the intensity was just a notch or two higher, we win this game.

The thing is, he could be. He gets 100 point seasons despite taking nights off and being frustrating to watch. IF he takes it to the next level and does a Mackinnon type focus he would be unstoppable. Currently though I just want him as a winger and use Lindholm as the 2C

Exactly. He's a ~100Pt player with these slumps and periods where he looks only halfway in. It's hard not to watch the player and think about how insanely good he could be if he was as engaged as he is when he's "on"...all the time. Or at least...far more consistently, like you typically see from other teams' "franchise players".

But the reality at this point is...i'm not sure that's even in Petey's wheelhouse. May just be the case that we have to learn to accept that it's going to be a bit of a rollercoaster all year every year with those big ups and frustrating downs. Whether it's mental resilience/focus, physical strength/endurance, or just a lack of consistent intensity in his overall demeanor...we've got ourselves a bona fide "Mercurial" superstar. :dunno:

I think the most realistic thing at this point...is just hope that he decides to flip that switch and fire up the intensity when the games really matter in the playoffs. Which...i guess we'll see. :dunno:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Im also sour on Lindholm now but still maintain he isnt being used correctly. He should be able to rise above so thats on him I guess. Hoglander continues to be my favourite Canuck

Yeah. You'd like to think Lindholm can rise above that a little bit more than he has. But that's never really been his gig. And the reality is...a responsible two-way RH Center capable of dragging just about any ol' luggage wingers along with him to quality Top-6 production is...extremely expensive, if not downright unavailable, ever really...as a deadline acquisition.

I'll be at that one...

In Edmonton? In the ugly plastic McDavey Dome? I'm so sorry that is going to happen to you. :scared:

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
That game was ass
had a feeling weather they scored first or not they were gonna lose. decided to watch a movie instead. petey is a ghost. nowhere to be found, you cant have miller scoring everynight.. hes the defecto leader in postgame interviews. someone go interview petterson. nucks screwed the pooch on lindholm deal now. he sucks. only good defensively. offensively nothing.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Edmonton only gains 1 point on us. Now 8 points behind with 3 games in hand.

That last game against them could be huge.
Here are the western standings if I assign 1 point to unplayed games in hand (since most teams average 82 points +/- 20 points, so 1 point per unplayed game is good enough approximation.

Pacific: GB (MLB style)
Vancouver ----
Edmonton 2.5
LA 6.0
Vegas 6.5
Calgary 10.0
Seattle 11.0
Anaheim 21.0
San Jose 25.5

Central
Winnipeg ---- ( one more RW/ROW)
Colorado 0.0
Dallas 0.5
Nashville 4.5
St Louis 8.5 (one more ROW)
Minnesota 8.5
Arizona 15.0
Chicago 24.5

Canucks still control their own destiny here.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
@biturbo19

Oh yeah, I’m not excusing it. In fact, I think it was incredibly dumb not to change how we were trying to get too cute. You gotta adapt and overcome. I do wonder if we should like upgrade the HVAC system and the like, I mean, it’s a multi-purpose building which hurts even more.

A 25 degree F swing up puts your system trying to catch up constantly when the demand or call for chilling keep rising, it’s a hard turn-around with such short time to prepare for the game. Have to adapt as a player though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Oh this is how it will be from now on.

Petey is now in the final stage of being a Canuck drafted player.

1. "Endless potential!"
2. "Why arent the coaches using him more?!"
3. "This overpaid bum!"

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
Wow are they saving it for the playoffs?
Pettersson with his disappearing act again.
This time he decided to do it in the 2nd half of the season. He's elite for maybe 50 games of a season.
Either slow start or slow finish. Take your pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad