Claimed off Waivers: Caps claim Dmitrij Jaskin

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Clearing up a couple things with regard to this line of thinking, since it's now also been shared on the HFBlues and HFCaps.

Players on Injured Reserve (IR) do not take up roster spots, so Sundqvist does not count towards the 23-man roster.
Players on Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) do not take up roster spots and the teams are allowed to exceed the salary cap by the same amount as their cap hit. So if Sundqvist is shifted to LTIR, the Blues can exceed the salary cap by $700k.

As it stands now, Sundqvist is on IR (not LTIR).

Currently, per CapFriendly, the Blues do not have the salary cap room to fit Jaskin's $1.1M cap hit under the salary cap with a full 23 man roster. Using CapFriendly's numbers, clearing an additional $700K from Sundqvist doesn't change that ($334,835 available space + $700K only gets you to $1.03M, just short of the money needed for Jaskin).

The injuries and suspensions to the blueline leading to the acquisition of Jerabek ($1M cap hit) is what led to the Blues running out of cap space to keep Jaskin.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bummer, I think Jaskin has a lot of upside and is pretty underrated...

I remember STL fans being high on him in years past but I don't see it. Plus he's in his mid 20's now so the odds are against him.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
2j86bu.jpg
Blues tried to trade him, so...thanks for clearing cap for the Blues I guess

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
One of those players whose advanced stats make them look better than they are. Supposed to be some “defensive stud” according to them but in reality is not and can’t even kill penalties. He just cycles the puck, that’s all. You can already tell by reading this thread who hasn’t watched him play. It’s funny.

Fine 4th liner but he was passed up here in STL so I’m fine with this.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can you explain this?

All waiver claims have an associated transaction fee.
And to take it one step further, each fee is calculated based on how many years the player has been on contract.

Jaskin is a little tricky bc he's only really played 5 years, but he's burned 6 years of contract - STL burned 2012/13 on two games.

I think the burned year counts towards waiver compensation, but I may be misremembering haha
If it doesn't count, then his five years of experience would have actually cost Washington $26,250!

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
One of those players whose advanced stats make them look better than they are. Supposed to be some “defensive stud” according to them but in reality is not and can’t even kill penalties. He just cycles the puck, that’s all. You can already tell by reading this thread who hasn’t watched him play. It’s funny.

Fine 4th liner but he was passed up here in STL so I’m fine with this.

“All defence forth liner” like where the f*** do people come up with these terms. Basically every forth liner fits that description. A guy who can’t provide ANY offense is a dime a dozen, there’s tons of guys who can do what Jaskin does.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
“All defence forth liner” like where the **** do people come up with these terms. Basically every forth liner fits that description. A guy who can’t provide ANY offense is a dime a dozen, there’s tons of guys who can do what Jaskin does.

Welcome to Corsi era

Where production doesn't matter if you can nit pick corsi and rel corsi to try and prove worth for certain players

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
I'm predicting huge years for both Jaskin and Pheonix Copley!
Washington seems to have good luck with putting former Blues players in a position to succeed.
TJ Oshie for example, went from St. Louis playoff ghost to Stanley Cup champion with the Caps.
Just think what Washington will do with a guy like Tarasenko when he wears out his welcome in St. Louis...:sarcasm:

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm predicting huge years for both Jaskin and Pheonix Copley!
Washington seems to have good luck with putting former Blues players in a position to succeed.
TJ Oshie for example, went from St. Louis playoff ghost to Stanley Cup champion with the Caps.
Just think what Washington will do with a guy like Tarasenko when he wears out his welcome in St. Louis...:sarcasm:

Funny what playing on one of if not the best power play in the league does for ya huh? Definitely helped Copley warm the bench too.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
what happened with this guy. a couple years ago I enquired on the trade board and STL wanted a ransom

The Grouch

Jan 31, 2009
what happened with this guy. a couple years ago I enquired on the trade board and STL wanted a ransom

The same thing that happens with most prospects/young players, he didn't come close to reaching his ceiling.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Blues actually went through a spurt from 2011-2015 where they only had a 1st round pick in 2 of those years. Their prospect pool was fairly thin, and Ty Rattie and Dmitrij Jaskin were their best. (Or so we thought, this is before a guy like Parayko really broke out; we didn't know what we had in him)

Fast forward to now and our prospect pool is vastly improved. He never really became a scorer and got passed up by the other kids.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Clearing up a couple things with regard to this line of thinking, since it's now also been shared on the HFBlues and HFCaps.

Players on Injured Reserve (IR) do not take up roster spots, so Sundqvist does not count towards the 23-man roster.
Players on Long Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) do not take up roster spots and the teams are allowed to exceed the salary cap by the same amount as their cap hit. So if Sundqvist is shifted to LTIR, the Blues can exceed the salary cap by $700k.

As it stands now, Sundqvist is on IR (not LTIR).

Currently, per CapFriendly, the Blues do not have the salary cap room to fit Jaskin's $1.1M cap hit under the salary cap with a full 23 man roster. Using CapFriendly's numbers, clearing an additional $700K from Sundqvist doesn't change that ($334,835 available space + $700K only gets you to $1.03M, just short of the money needed for Jaskin).

The injuries and suspensions to the blueline leading to the acquisition of Jerabek ($1M cap hit) is what led to the Blues running out of cap space to keep Jaskin.
So we had to waive Jaskin to make room for Jerabek, who we might, in turn, lose to waivers soon. Genius. :facepalm:

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
I personally don't think jaskin being waived had anything to do with sundqvist going down. The blues seem pretty intent on giving their rookies a chance this year and I'm pretty sure they were ultimately gonna choose them over jaskin anyway, and same with sundqvist. Sundqvist is being talked about like he's a regular roster player and he isn't. He never had a permanent role on the nhl squad and jaskin, in my opinion, was simply beat out by the rookies.

Reactions: BlueDream

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Apparently Jaskin asked for a trade months ago but there were no takers.

All those GM's and scouts must have been too busy actually watching him play to pull his corsi stats... :eyeroll:

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I personally don't think jaskin being waived had anything to do with sundqvist going down. The blues seem pretty intent on giving their rookies a chance this year and I'm pretty sure they were ultimately gonna choose them over jaskin anyway, and same with sundqvist. Sundqvist is being talked about like he's a regular roster player and he isn't. He never had a permanent role on the nhl squad and jaskin, in my opinion, was simply beat out by the rookies.
Exactly this. Lots of false narratives being thrown around. Sundqvist wasn't even going to make the team. Once he's healthy he gets sent down to San Antonio most likely. He's not that good at all.

And, as the Blues GM confirmed, Jaskin was being shopped. But nobody wanted to trade for him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad