Claimed off Waivers: Caps claim Dmitrij Jaskin

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Don't expect scoring. Pros: strong on the forecheck, amazing on possession/cycling. Good defense. Surprisingly good stick handler/passer at times. Cons : Slow skater, can't lift the puck on shots and absolutely cursed with terrible puck-luck on scoring chances. Overall, a good 4th line option that can play a support role on higher lines in a pitch. Good value for his contract in the right role.

I'll miss him as a Blues fan. Oshie and Jaskin are two of my favorite former Blues, so I'll be rooting for Washington during the games Wilson is suspended this year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Good luck to Jaskin in WSH.

Kind of ironic/funny if you think about it. I question if WSH would’ve made this claim had Wilson not been pending a lengthy suspension.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Good luck to Jaskin in WSH.

Kind of ironic/funny if you think about it. I question if WSH would’ve made this claim had Wilson not been pending a lengthy suspension.

Also, there are now reports that if Sunqvist wasn't injuired and we didn't have to keep him on the roster on IR, we wouldn't have waived Jaskin. Sooooo yeah, screw Washington.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Who would get bumped out of
Burakovsky-Eller- Connolly
Stephenson- Dowd- Smith Pelly

Dowd maybe and Stephenson to center ?

Well Wilson is likely going to get at least 6 games since it's an in-person hearing, so i'd imagine one of those guys gets bumped up to the top 6 giving Jaskin an opportunity to play in the bottom 6 and see how he does.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Also, there are now reports that if Sunqvist wasn't injuired and we didn't have to keep him on the roster on IR, we wouldn't have waived Jaskin. Sooooo yeah, screw Washington.

IR don't count against the 23 slots so that doesn't make sense, unless it was due to the tiny cap hit that would be saved sending Jaskin down.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Serviceable fourth liner, solid defensively even though he’s gotta be one of the slowest skaters in the league

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
When he was a rookie, I thought he was going to be a bull in a china shop type top-6 guy.

Yep. He wasn't a blue chip prospect, but certainly Blues fans were hoping to see him become a 20-goal scoring 2-way forward. Unfortunately, that never materialized despite Jaskin being given many chances.

To his credit, he has worked very hard to become a solid NHL player, just not the one we were hoping for when he came out of juniors. Good luck to Dmitrij with the Caps.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Maybe I'm misreading this, but this literally makes zero sense. These two ideas are contradictory of each other.

"if we didn't have Sundqvist on the IR we wouldn't have had to waive Jaskin"?

Does IR not literally remove Sundqvist from the roster and open up a roster spot? If he wasn't playing because of injury and wasn't on the IR I think this makes more sense.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I was wondering that myself but I haven’t seen any actual report confirming that. Can you link to where you’ve seen this?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe I'm misreading this, but this literally makes zero sense. These two ideas are contradictory of each other.

Does IR not literally remove Sundqvist from the roster and open up a roster spot? If he wasn't playing because of injury and wasn't on the IR I think this makes more sense.

You guys are missing the point.

The problem isn’t the 23-man roster; it’s being Cap compliant. The Blues are right up against the Cap.

Players on IR still count towards the salary cap. Sundqvist was very likely destined for waivers and assignment to San Antonio. But since he got injured, he has to go on IR and will thus still count against the Blues’ Cap.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

It opens up the roster spot, it does not open up the cap space.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Thing is we don't know how long Sunqvist, Soshnikov, or Foley will be out. 3 of them have concussion issues (assuming that's what Sunny has, if not just a lot of facial lacerations), and we have no idea when they might be ready. It's hard to go LTIR for Sunqvist.

Basically though, if the injury to Sunqvist doesn't happen, we could have kept Jaskin under the cap without much thought.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The narrative that this is partially Washington's fault doesn't seem to check out.

If Sundy is only going to be out for a short while and STL really valued Jaskin then wouldn't it make more sense to dress whatever 13th forward you simply have on the roster for the time being? Surely they're not so up against the cap that they weren't planning on rolling with only 12 forwards, and even if that's the case it seems like this would be a reckoning they would have to have at some point this season. If Jaskin being on the roster literally came down to an injury to any other player he probably wasn't long for this team. I also don't know where Sundqvist was penciled into the Blues roster but his career has been that of a fringe NHL player so I'm assuming the Blues were not hinging any sort of grand strategy on him being invaluable to the lineup.

If Sundy is really hurt and will be out for a while, LTIR makes more sense. LTIR not only opens up a roster spot but also cap space which would allow Jaskin to stay in addition to whatever call up that's made.

So it makes more sense that the Blues were planning on placing Jaskins on waivers at some point this season and simply the figured that with the waiver wire full right now it was their best chance of sneaking him through. Seems more like an internal valuing of Jaskin vs. talent in the farm system thing as opposed to a move forced by the cap and injuries. Like I said, they surely weren't expecting to not have injuries all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad