Claimed off Waivers: Caps claim Dmitrij Jaskin

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
washington slowing down
Jay Beagle wasn't exactly a speed demon, not really sure of Dowd's speed but I don't think the speed of our 4th line was really a key for us last year. It was really the FO% that we were looking for in Dowd that we lost in Beagle.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The narrative that this is partially Washington's fault doesn't seem to check out.

If Sundy is only going to be out for a short while and STL really valued Jaskin then wouldn't it make more sense to dress whatever 13th forward you simply have on the roster for the time being? Surely they're not so up against the cap that they weren't planning on rolling with only 12 forwards, and even if that's the case it seems like this would be a reckoning they would have to have at some point this season. If Jaskin being on the roster literally came down to an injury to any other player he probably wasn't long for this team. I also don't know where Sundqvist was penciled into the Blues roster but his career has been that of a fringe NHL player so I'm assuming the Blues were not hinging any sort of grand strategy on him being invaluable to the lineup.

If Sundy is really hurt and will be out for a while, LTIR makes more sense. LTIR not only opens up a roster spot but also cap space which would allow Jaskin to stay in addition to whatever call up that's made.

So it makes more sense that the Blues were planning on placing Jaskins on waivers at some point this season and simply the figured that with the waiver wire full right now it was their best chance of sneaking him through. Seems more like an internal valuing of Jaskin vs. talent in the farm system thing as opposed to a move forced by the cap and injuries. Like I said, they surely weren't expecting to not have injuries all season.
I think this may be a narrative the front office is putting out there to influence the DOPS's decision. Seems pretty clear the team had been shopping Jaskin around. He didn't make the team, and I don't think the Sundqvist injury changed that. They are up against the cap, but I don't think they'd have kept Jaskin under any circumstances. He's too slow to function with the type of 4th line they're going to be using.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think he’d do well if given a top 9 role
Doubt it. He has great puck-protection skills and cycling ability, but his shot isn't good enough to score, his vision isn't good enough to setup teammates, and he isn't strong/assertive enough to make a living scoring garbage goals.

He was able to dominate players physically in the lower levels, but he doesn't have the strength to do it in the NHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Who would get bumped out of
Burakovsky-Eller- Connolly
Stephenson- Dowd- Smith Pelly

Dowd maybe and Stephenson to center ?

Brett Connolly is currenly on the top line with Wilson out. That could change to Burakovsky in the top 6 at some point. Either way, it shifts Stephenson to 3LW and opens up a spot at 4LW. Jaskin replaces Nathan Walker as the 4LW replacement.

On a fully-healthy Washington, it's between Jaskin, Dowd, Boyd, and DSP to hold onto the 12th roster spot. Stephenson can flex to any 4th line position in theory (although the Caps seem to favor him on the wing, which helps one of Boyd or Dowd hold down a 4C gig).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Besides being one of the best defensive wingers in the league you mean

He's good at holding the puck. He's also good on board battles. Was pretty good forechecking last year. He has about 0 offensive ability aside from a few sparks here and there. He's a really good 4th liner, possibly a good 3rd if you like a more defensive 3rd line/puck possession.

He is however in no way shape or form a top 6 option. He was given more than enough opportunities the last couple of years to prove so. Very boring player to watch but a very effective one if you aren't expecting offense. Much like Patrik Berglund

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
You guys are missing the point.

The problem isn’t the 23-man roster; it’s being Cap compliant. The Blues are right up against the Cap.

Players on IR still count towards the salary cap. Sundqvist was very likely destined for waivers and assignment to San Antonio. But since he got injured, he has to go on IR and will thus still count against the Blues’ Cap.
Seems to me that Bortuzzo's suspension and the need to trade for Jerabek and carry 8 defensemen necessitated this.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
2j86bu.jpg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Bummer, I think Jaskin has a lot of upside and is pretty underrated...

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Seems to me that Bortuzzo's suspension and the need to trade for Jerabek and carry 8 defensemen necessitated this.

Fair point but Jerabek was added because Edmundson is dealing with a groin injury. But yes, Borts’ suspension is a part of the equation and salary cap problem the Blues are facing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad