Post-Game Talk: caps @ cbus gdt (6pm start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Absolutely disgusting that they are even reviewing this play.
From what i gathered from Tortz comments even he thinks he it was a clean hit and said something along the lines that you need to be able to handle hits in this game.

I hope that this is just a standard protocol of NHL reviewing every hit when a player gets hurt.

If NHL gives a Ovi a hard time about this hit it spells very bad news. In the past when Ovi got in trouble for questionable hits his play changed. There was even saying on these boards how he got neutered by the league. If they give him crap about 100% legal hit, man i just don't know i don't want him to be afraid to so much as look in someones direction.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hate it. Planting the seed of doubt into Ovi's head on the eve of the playoffs. That is a hit I expect to see a few times a game going forward.

I think our hitting will be neutered by the league one way or another, early in the playoffs.

Edit: yep was crazy8's said.

And why the does nhl.com feel the need to promote player sites?? on every page of theirs, and includes retired players. https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Pretty hilarious how some Jackets fans are complaining about Capitals targeting Werenski. They poked the bear going after Ovechkin earlier and quickly realized he's going to hit you back. It's shame Werenski got injured but there really isn't anything wrong with that hit.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The dumbest thing any opponent should do is run Ovy repeatedly. He's better for the opposition when they don't challenge him physically.

Was awesome to see Ovy throwing last night, yet still smart enough to not drop the gloves and risk his hands.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Pretty hilarious how some Jackets fans are complaining about Capitals targeting Werenski. They poked the bear going after Ovechkin in the 1st period and quickly realized he's going to hit you back. It's shame Werenski got injured but there really isn't anything wrong with that hit.

Would you expect anything else from a team coached by Torts and with guys like Foligno, Dubinsky, and Hartnell leading the way? BJs tried to goon it up and got burned. Sorry that Werenski got hurt but pound sand.

Ovie is a truck. Werenski is listed as 6'2, 218 lbs and Ovie made him look like a little guy.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Being the #1 seed is kind of nerve wracking in some ways because we could either face a red hot, dangerous team like Tampa, Toronto or Boston, or a team on the decline like Ottawa or NY Islanders. Sucks that we won't know until the final weekend.

And don't tell me playoff mtachups dont matter. The 1998 team faced three very favorable matchups en route to the finals. We want as convenient a road as possible.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Would you expect anything else from a team coached by Torts and with guys like Foligno, Dubinsky, and Hartnell leading the way? BJs tried to goon it up and got burned. Sorry that Werenski got hurt but pound sand.

Ovie is a truck. Werenski is listed as 6'2, 218 lbs and Ovie made him look like a little guy.

I don't think Foligno is dirty. He's tough player who backs his actions and protects his teammates.

Dubinsky is human trash who goes after star players.

Hartnell tried to take a run at Ovechkin and failed miserably, just bouncing off of him.

No idea who the Anderson guy is but pretty sad that he doesn't want anything to do with Wilson and goes after Ovechkin instead and still ends up getting the beatdown.

Blue Jackets are used to being physically intimidating. That didn't really work today as they ended up losing the biggest game of their season and losing guys on the shelf while doing so.

Good win. Happy to see the real Holtby back.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Being the #1 seed is kind of nerve wracking in some ways because we could either face a red hot, dangerous team like Tampa, Toronto or Boston, or a team on the decline like Ottawa or NY Islanders. Sucks that we won't know until the final weekend.

And don't tell me playoff mtachups dont matter. The 1998 team faced three very favorable matchups en route to the finals. We want as convenient a road as possible.

Might be that Tampa or Toronto are a better choice than a struggling team. They may have had to use up their reserves just to get in. Its hard to know. Caps are 8-1-1 in their last 10 and the stinker in AZ is the only reg L in the bunch. Seems to me its the other team that needs to worry about getting a hot team in the first round

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't think Foligno is dirty. He's tough player who backs his actions and protects his teammates.

Dubinsky is human trash who goes after star players.

Hartnell tried to take a run at Ovechkin and failed miserably, just bouncing off of him.

No idea who the Anderson guy is but pretty sad that he doesn't want anything to do with Wilson and goes after Ovechkin instead and still ends up getting the beatdown.

Blue Jackets are used to being physically intimidating. That didn't really work today as they ended up losing the biggest game of their season and losing guys on the shelf while doing so.

Good win. Happy to see the real Holtby back.

I like Foligno, but he threw at least two or three slashes yesterday, including one on Ovie in the first period that was clearly a penalty. He seems to be pretty liberal with the swinging of his stick when I watch him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
To be fair, Anderson was not trying to avoid Wilson as much as trying to get to Ovechkin. He was not trying to stir up ****. He was trying to retaliate with Ovechkin over the Werenski injury. He deserves some credit for being willing to try. I honestly think he had no idea that Ovechkin would come back at him.

Conversely I think Ovechkin knew this game could be a table setter for a 2nd round series and he was going to nip that mess in the bud. I would think that he succeeded.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good job by Trotz having Willy out there, presuming it was not a coincidence. It's not often you see Ovi Nick and Alzner all fired up like that; Carlson too. Look at how fast Ovi is throwing those lefts, before the haymaker towards the end.

full brawl here

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
To be fair, Anderson was not trying to avoid Wilson as much as trying to get to Ovechkin. He was not trying to stir up ****. He was trying to retaliate with Ovechkin over the Werenski injury. He deserves some credit for being willing to try. I honestly think he had no idea that Ovechkin would come back at him.

Conversely I think Ovechkin knew this game could be a table setter for a 2nd round series and he was going to nip that mess in the bud. I would think that he succeeded.

Players who know who is on the ice. Anderson didn't want anything to do with Wilson in the previous game (last week i think) and on that sequence he skated right by Wilson who went to grab Hartnell that was taking shots at Ovechkin.

Saying that Anderson is not trying to stir up **** going after Ovechkin is ridiculous. You are always going for trouble going after the other teams star player and captain. Jackets don't have similar star but for example try and see a scenario where Bobrovsky (their only star player, IMO) injures one of the Capitals on a clean play. Wilson goes to take swings at him after the whistle. Is that not trying to stir up ****? That will get an response every single time.

Ovechkin played it perfectly. Got 2 different guys taking shots at him, ended up with the last laugh and PP for his team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Anderson and his team chose the wrong guy to mess with. Ovi will crush people with hits and he can fight back against most guys. Unless you're the size of a grizzly bear like Nikita Tryamkin, Ovi can get you.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Someone post that gif of ovi destroying Kunitz after Kunitz tried acting all tough with Ovi.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Players who know who is on the ice. Anderson didn't want anything to do with Wilson in the previous game (last week i think) and on that sequence he skated right by Wilson who went to grab Hartnell that was taking shots at Ovechkin.

Saying that Anderson is not trying to stir up **** going after Ovechkin is ridiculous. You are always going for trouble going after the other teams star player and captain. Jackets don't have similar star but for example try and see a scenario where Bobrovsky (their only star player, IMO) injures one of the Capitals on a clean play. Wilson goes to take swings at him after the whistle. Is that not trying to stir up ****? That will get an response every single time.

Ovechkin played it perfectly. Got 2 different guys taking shots at him, ended up with the last laugh and PP for his team.

I think we are talking different things. My point is that Anderson and the Jackets as a group were trying to get at Ovechkin for the hit. They were not trying to stir up generic ****. Anderson did not want to substitute a tilt with Wilson for getting a shot in on Ovechkin.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think we are talking different things. My point is that Anderson and the Jackets as a group were trying to get at Ovechkin for the hit. They were not trying to stir up generic ****. Anderson did not want to substitute a tilt with Wilson for getting a shot in on Ovechkin.

The benches are yelling at each other after Werenski left the game. Trotz sees that and throws Wilson on the ice at the same time as Ovechkin. Wilson knows whats going on. Jackets know he's on the ice. Going after Ovechkin even after that is still trying to stir up something, IMO.

I would propably buy that they weren't looking to stir up generic **** if that was the only incident. It wasn't. Anderson went poking behind Holtby in that period. They had brawl after the bouncing back went near Holtby and he had 3 Jackets poking at him. Foligno took his mask off on a scrum. Dubinsky was poking at Kuznetsov at the faceoff circle.

I agree with you on there that Anderson didn't want to fight with Wilson for going after Ovechkin. He didn't seem to want anything to do with him last week, and in this game the only time he seemed interested was when they were both already in the penalty box.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's good to be the Bad Guys again.

Yep. I've no problem with Wilson being crazy. This club has always needed a bit of crazy.

I was hoping the Caps would come out and give the beat down. Columbus is a good team, and honestly, I'm impressed at how much some of their players have improved. That said, the Caps had an obligation to make it clear they're going to throw the wood at the Blue Jackets. They're not ready for a 7 game series against the Caps. Trotz knows it. Ovechkin knows it. Tortorella knows it.

If Ovechkin gets suspended, the fix is in. He's heating up at the right time, paying the price he needs to pay, and I think he knows how important this one is. Trotz has managed his minutes, and he's going to unleash him come playoffs. The only thing that could derail it would be a dumb suspension.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Shattenkirk played 17 minutes last night. Am I wrong or is his time with the Caps not helping is UFA market stature?

If my math is correct, he's played in 15 games for the Caps and has 12 Assists, so I don't see any issues for him when it comes to the UFA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad