GDT: Caps @ Cats - 12/13/13 7:30 PM - Clemmensen starting?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
16 teams have 5 or more wins in their last 10 games, and 11 teams have more than that. Whoopee. Plan the parade route.

The only teams with fewer ROW in the entire NHL: Winnipeg, Edmonton, NYI, Buffalo, Florida.

We are in 2nd in the Metro behind the Penguins, and they have TWICE as many ROW. Our 37 points would be 5th in the Atlantic, and we'd be the 8th seed in the playoffs.

If not for the shootout points we'd be in 7th in the Metro and well out of the playoffs.

This is a team that is consistently outshot, badly, and is propped up by shootout points. There are no shootouts in the playoffs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
you are hard to impress or even satisfy. so, they should have won all the games? this is a professional league. both teams get paid. the worst team wins 30 games. why both talking to you guys.

ovechkin is scoring at an amazing rate. why? because he has to because no one else on his line will try and score. last night. backstrom scores. ovechkin didn't. caps lose. why? because ovechkin sat out the rest of the game in dumb shock that backy shot the puck. caps suck. fire McPhee.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Nice games by Grubs and Orlov. I can't say anybody else really stood out against the Panthers no less. Grabbed another point but the Panthers are usually worth two.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Woud love to see Fehr on the top line, MoJo down to 2C, Grabo back to 3C.

what has mojo done to be played higher than grabo, in fact what has backstrom done to be playing higher up than grabo. if ovie and backstrom arent clicking its time we try grabo on the first line.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
you are hard to impress or even satisfy. so, they should have won all the games? this is a professional league. both teams get paid. the worst team wins 30 games. why both talking to you guys.

ovechkin is scoring at an amazing rate. why? because he has to because no one else on his line will try and score. last night. backstrom scores. ovechkin didn't. caps lose. why? because ovechkin sat out the rest of the game in dumb shock that backy shot the puck. caps suck. fire McPhee.

If you are so put off by people not being as much of a blind homer as you are why don't you end your misery and just stop clicking on the website.

Just. Stop. Reading. And. Responding.

Then the number of people who piss you off will be closer to zero, and you can enjoy the games as much as you want us to believe you do.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McPhee needs to pay up and just pay the premium attached to top blueliners, and fix it. Its the same issue every year.
I don't think it matters much. If they upgrade the D it'll both weaken their crappy forward depth for cap purposes and, most likely, overall end up giving the forwards license to play even lazier.

Too bad the East is a pushover conference because the timing is ripe for this team to miss the playoffs. It really doesn't take a high level of play to skate circles around them but the East is so bad they very well may be able to float their way into the playoffs.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This was Mojo's worst game of the season IMO. He was useless in his own zone, blew a goal that Ovie set up beautifully, and passed the puck uncharacteristically poorly. It's nights like this that I wonder how he ended up on the top line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If you are so put off by people not being as much of a blind homer as you are why don't you end your misery and just stop clicking on the website.

Just. Stop. Reading. And. Responding.

Then the number of people who piss you off will be closer to zero, and you can enjoy the games as much as you want us to believe you do.

so....believe what you believe or get lost eh? I guess you are not much for balance. Which is really my point. A blind homer. That's just stupid, g00n. I can be and often am disappointed in the team. Ive been asking for more veteran top 4 d for years. I just have more balance in my life.

ov scoring lots of goals is good. its not a sign of fail. winning 2 games for each lost is good. there are enough things wrong with this team that you can whine about with credibility without having to stretch in an effort of shooting down the good things. they are a solid hockey team. they are neither elite nor crap. they are good enough to win a cup yet not a leading contender. they are not Columbus or the Islanders.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
so....believe what you believe or get lost eh? I guess you are not much for balance. Which is really my point. A blind homer. That's just stupid, g00n. I can be and often am disappointed in the team. Ive been asking for more veteran top 4 d for years. I just have more balance in my life.

ov scoring lots of goals is good. its not a sign of fail. winning 2 games for each lost is good. there are enough things wrong with this team that you can whine about with credibility without having to stretch in an effort of shooting down the good things. they are a solid hockey team. they are neither elite nor crap. they are good enough to win a cup yet not a leading contender. they are not Columbus or the Islanders.

Look around the rest of the board. Notice how opinions differ? Nobody's saying everyone here has to believe the exact same things. You're making that up so you can again play the victim.

Everyone knows you cheer for this team in your posts. That's fine. BUT, you also add an element where you personally attack everyone who disagrees with your 99% positive/optimistic view. I guess the only defense for that is to pretend everyone else is doing it to YOU.

So I say again, if seeing opinions that differ from yours causes you so much grief, and the only thing you can think to do is criticize everyone who disagrees with you, maybe you should stop reading those opinions. Just having a "positive" opinion doesn't give you more of a right to attack people than anyone who comes from a "negative" perspective.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
what has mojo done to be played higher than grabo, in fact what has backstrom done to be playing higher up than grabo. if ovie and backstrom arent clicking its time we try grabo on the first line.

Well if you are Grabovski who would you rather play with, Chimera and Ward or Erat and Brouwer? Considering the kind of seasons those 4 are having so far I don't think there is any doubt it would be the former pair of wingers.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
I don't think it matters much. If they upgrade the D it'll both weaken their crappy forward depth for cap purposes and, most likely, overall end up giving the forwards license to play even lazier.

Too bad the East is a pushover conference because the timing is ripe for this team to miss the playoffs. It really doesn't take a high level of play to skate circles around them but the East is so bad they very well may be able to float their way into the playoffs.

The problem with bad contracts, is they are bad for other teams too. We really only have a few players that I would deem appealing to other teams that arent bad contracts. Neuvirth, Ward, Grabo, MaJo, Chimmer, and Fehr. Honestly of that crew I would only want to trade Neuvirth and maybe MaJo.

An addition of Bieksa would be nice, but as you said its tough and would be at the expense of losing forward depth. Giordano?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Dunno. Giordano is Calgary's captain so he's not going to come cheap.

Laich being back on LTIR could provide the sort of flexibility they need to not have to move a forward for cap reasons, esp. if the issue continues to linger without apparent remedy. Tallinder seems like a decent value fit. He helped Myers to a Calder win so maybe he could still provide similar stability to Green. Ehrhoff would be a nice addition, albeit a bit redundant in some respects currently. If they wanted to shift to post-Green thinking he may be one of the better options out there as far as offensive skill level. Green's body language and habits are a big issue. If there's a shake-up candidate from the core he surely looks like the guy to go.

The five Western teams <40 points look to be in tough but overall it's still early to separate out the sellers.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, if you would like to listen to one of the russian "hockey media experts", Kuznetsov will not save GMGM's ass any soon. I mean he isn't in shape to do it right now and could need some time to adjust: 1) to Oates 2) to Oates system 3) to be LW 4) to NA rinks 5) to NHL physicality.

I guess we should expect some good PP help from him and then anything else is a bonus.

Being a savior? Probably next season.

But... it has some positive in it. We aren't contending this season clearly and we have an Olympics factor also. It's a good season to get Kuz acclimated.

Right, I don't mean him coming to save their collective derrieres, just bring some creativity and some "f u, I'm gonna score" energy, as well as more variation in terms of combos to try. Right now, most games the offense just seems.. stale. Thank Allah for Grabo, Chimera and Ward, without those guys on many nights our forwards are like the extras in the Walking Dead.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Visiting this site using chrome my anti-virus software reports craveonline has been hacked with a java exploit of sorts.

I just woke up. I am going to assume we dominated lowly florida.

Yes, we dominated, pretty much.

Iraqi-Defense-Minister.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know the exact play you are talking about....and as you know, it happens a lot. That little hesitation is all it takes........

but he was a Norris finalist a few years ago, lead the NHL in goals from D in a short season....and he even had a few points in a 1st round loss. He just needs to get a lucky bounce and he will be a PPG player again.....well not "again" in the playoffs...he's never been that....but he will be that too!

Funny stuff, definitely at least comedic bronze, maybe even copper.

I guess I should just join in the Green bashing and pile on. They're easy shots to take right now given his play.

Instead, like Brouwer, Laich, Erat, etc....I'll just quietly sit and hope they improve or McPhee makes a deal or two to improve the roster.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
also, people seem to forget that 10-5-3 is still 10-8....

Exactly...call it plain and simple, wins and losses. 2 games over .500 (17-15). That makes the playoffs typically at least.

Not like they're horrible. I can see simple patience being the internal message right now, waiting for guys to come around. Totally McPhee's message to Ted as long as they're in a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad