GDT: Caps @ Cats - 12/13/13 7:30 PM - Clemmensen starting?

butters8814*

Would love to see fehr on the first line, the guy at least goes to the net.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Pretty funny how much better the second line was with Erat on it instead of Troy ****ing Brouwer.

Brouwer has to go. We also need a 3RD more than a LD now. Oleksy is garbage and so are all of his replacements (Carrick, Strachan, Wey, etc)

Grubi is the man.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Pretty funny how much better the second line was with Erat on it instead of Troy ****ing Brouwer.

Brouwer has to go. We also need a 3RD more than a LD now. Oleksy is garbage and so are all of his replacements (Carrick, Strachan, Wey, etc)

Grubi is the man.

What the **** are you on?

Seriously the hatred for Brouwer his hilarious. He played a damn good game stood up for his teammate, and he hits the crossbar in SO, but somehow he gets bashed for that.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
What the **** are you on?

Seriously the hatred for Brouwer his hilarious. He played a damn good game stood up for his teammate, and he hits the crossbar in SO, but somehow he gets bashed for that.

Wait, so all of his turnovers and flubbed opportunities are miraculously saved because he opted to get his face beat in by the guy that took out Fehr?

And by your opinion, that hit was legal anyway, so why fight him?

There's no hiding that when Brouwer was in the box, the 2nd line was humming. I wonder what the hell YOU'RE on.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Glad I missed most of that one. Backstrom had a sick goal but other than that I imagine watching the team get outshot 2-1 by the Panthers wasn't too fun.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Wait, so all of his turnovers and flubbed opportunities are miraculously saved because he opted to get his face beat in by the guy that took out Fehr?

There's no hiding that when Brouwer was in the box, the 2nd line was humming. I wonder what the hell YOU'RE on.

Turnovers? LOL you are just making **** up. Pathetic.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Something is off with Brouwers game and has been all season. He did not play a good game tonight, but I can't say he was the worst on the ice.

Erat centering the Ward and Chimera brothers clearly isn't working. He brings that line down. I am beginning to think Brouwer is the anchor that is bringing down the blackhole of possession to the second line, nothing is working.

Orlov's game was great tonight and I thought he was the best defenseman out there. Alzner looked like he was showing some holes in his game tonight clearing the puck which is uncharacteristic of him, but everyone is allowed to have an off night.

I didn't think Fehr had an exceptionally well played game, and I would have rather had OV and Nicky out there in OT instead of OV and Mojo.

Did anyone else think it was odd that anytime 90-19-8 were out on the ice they always had the Schmidt-Oleksy pairing with them. You would think you would want the offensive pairings with them to try and drum up some offense, not the 3rd pairing.

Also Oleksy has made some terrible plays in his own end the last two games, I won't be surprised if he gets sent down to AHL and they recall somebody else. His only saving grace is his goal in the other game

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

I for one am glad he had the balls to stand up for Fehr. You don't let a hit like that go unanswered. Maybe Brouwer did loose the fight and maybe he didn't have the best game but I would rather have a guy playing along side me that will stand up for me in my time of need than go hide and cower in the corner. If it was anyone other than Brouwer fighting this post wouldn't even be here and everyone would be kissing face. It happened when Strachan went after the loser who hit Schmidt.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This team is a waste of Cap space. Wow.

Green, Laich, Erat, Erskine, Brouwer, and Neuvirth. That's 23.5m a year. Wow.

90-19-8
16-84-Kuz
25-xx-42
24-83-43

74-27
Xx-81
34-88

3 holes. 23.5m to spend...and even upgrade some slots. That not even including the 7m more for next year? Kuznetsov comes over to round out top 6 = what...3.5m? So 27m for next year if you drop the dead weight. Spend a little extra to resign Grabovski. Leaves at least 25m??.

Who doesn't want a crack at that, as a GM?

"It's Gold, Jerry....Gold!"

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Love Green waiting there to make the simple pass until a guy is right on his partner. Get this clown off the team.

I know the exact play you are talking about....and as you know, it happens a lot. That little hesitation is all it takes........

but he was a Norris finalist a few years ago, lead the NHL in goals from D in a short season....and he even had a few points in a 1st round loss. He just needs to get a lucky bounce and he will be a PPG player again.....well not "again" in the playoffs...he's never been that....but he will be that too!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I know the exact play you are talking about....and as you know, it happens a lot. That little hesitation is all it takes........

but he was a Norris finalist a few years ago, lead the NHL in goals from D in a short season....and he even had a few points in a 1st round loss. He just needs to get a lucky bounce and he will be a PPG player again.....well not "again" in the playoffs...he's never been that....but he will be that too!

He's not.....good. For whatever reason. I have always liked Green. But 6m a year for this?

Murphy his ass outta town. It's time.

Trade Green and Erskine to Calgary for Giordano and Smid. Salaries are the same. Wake up the team, and wake up the defense.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This team is a waste of Cap space. Wow.

Green, Laich, Erat, Erskine, Brouwer, and Neuvirth. That's 23.5m a year. Wow.

90-19-8
16-84-Kuz
25-xx-42
24-83-43

74-27
Xx-81
34-88

3 holes. 23.5m to spend...and even upgrade some slots. That not even including the 7m more for next year? Kuznetsov comes over to round out top 6 = what...3.5m? So 27m for next year if you drop the dead weight. Spend a little extra to resign Grabovski. Leaves at least 25m??.

Who doesn't want a crack at that, as a GM?

"It's Gold, Jerry....Gold!"

Yeah, man... it's pretty crazy. I guess we can thank McPhee that at least all these players are at least theoretically movable (gullible GMs are gullible).

It's kind of stupid though, that with the increase in cap, McPhee probably won't feel any pressure to move anybody. Since Caps don't splurge in free agency (and I guess this year may not really be ideal to make a splash because of particularly inflated prices), there won't really be a need to create room.

Really need Kuz to come over to bring a new energy to the forward corps, and for somebody to help stabilize the defense. With shaky Green, hobbled Erskine, jerked-around Orlov, a sprinkling of AHL overachievers, not only is it kind of weak, but also I think is too taxing on Carlson and Alzner. It has to be real tiring to feel like you have to play perfect hockey to compensate for ever-changing and shaky partners.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, if you would like to listen to one of the russian "hockey media experts", Kuznetsov will not save GMGM's ass any soon. I mean he isn't in shape to do it right now and could need some time to adjust: 1) to Oates 2) to Oates system 3) to be LW 4) to NA rinks 5) to NHL physicality.

I guess we should expect some good PP help from him and then anything else is a bonus.

Being a savior? Probably next season.

But... it has some positive in it. We aren't contending this season clearly and we have an Olympics factor also. It's a good season to get Kuz acclimated.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Visiting this site using chrome my anti-virus software reports craveonline has been hacked with a java exploit of sorts.

I just woke up. I am going to assume we dominated lowly florida.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps are 5-1-1 in the last 7 and they are a waste of cap space. they are 10-5-3 since November 5th and they are a waste of cap space. why? they played an ot tie and lost in the shootout in a game of a backup goalie and a bone a$$ rookie.

more proof that they suck.

edit: looking at the list of numbers listed as not waste of cap space I see 25 and 42 who as recently as the first couple weeks of the season were being listed at the dump for a bag of pucks to get off the cap. most players have ups and downs career wise. maybe brouwer has a crappy season and a great playoffs. maybe he scores 30 next near. chimera has a awful season last season but now he isn't a waste of space and his extension is McPhee fail...right now.

Last edited:

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
the caps are 5-1-1 in the last 7 and they are a waste of cap space. they are 10-5-3 since November 5th and they are a waste of cap space. why? they played an ot tie and lost in the shootout in a game of a backup goalie and a bone a$$ rookie.

edit: looking at the list of numbers listed as not waste of cap space I see 25 and 42 who as recently as the first couple weeks of the season were being listed at the dump for a bag of pucks to get off the cap. most players have ups and downs career wise. maybe brouwer has a crappy season and a great playoffs. maybe he scores 30 next near. chimera has a awful season last season but now he isn't a waste of space and his extension is McPhee fail...right now.

Either you're delusional or you don't watch the games. The Capitals have been extremely lucky to have their current record in those last 18 games you listed, they have been outplayed in the vast majority with very little sustained puck possession.

For example I know it's not a perfect correlation with the game itself but in those 18 games since November 5th they have outshot the opponent in only 4 which were against the Islanders, Leafs, Rangers and Blue Jackets all top teams in the league :laugh:

Furthermore, the idea that we shouldn't be complaining about the "waste of cap space" when we know that most of these "waste of cap space" players will be even worse when the playoffs roll around (i.e., Mike Green, Troy Brouwer, John Erskine) and we get knocked out in the first round again will all be looking for you, however, you will gone as per usual doing your dissapearing act just like in games when you pipe up in the first period and then the Capitals joke and you are nowhere to be found.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
It will catch up to them (re puck possession) over time. Our biggest problem continues to be on the blueline, the only thing keeping games even close is our goal scoring. If ever Ovechkin cools off etc, this team is going to look bad.

McPhee needs to pay up and just pay the premium attached to top blueliners, and fix it. Its the same issue every year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Come on Tex. please take off the blinders, this team, behind one of the greater offensive starts by any player in the past 20 years, has won TEN (10) of their 32 games played in regulation. So less than a third. Good Lord. All while being over the salary cap.

How, on any planet, is that no a problem? The NHL's gimmick points have allowed this team to post points due to their arsenal of 4-5 offensive forwards. That's great.

However the rest of the team, as illustrated by most post, has helped Ovechkin win 10 games outright. 10!!!

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Come on Tex. please take off the blinders, this team, behind one of the greater offensive starts by any player in the past 20 years, has won TEN (10) of their 32 games played in regulation. So less than a third. Good Lord. All while being over the salary cap.

How, on any planet, is that no a problem? The NHL's gimmick points have allowed this team to post points due to their arsenal of 4-5 offensive forwards. That's great.

However the rest of the team, as illustrated by most post, has helped Ovechkin win 10 games outright. 10!!!

Actually they have only won 8 in regulation, 2 in OT, and 7 in the gimmick...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad