Post-Game Talk: caps @ avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Leipsic fits much better on the 4th line, which has been great all season. If Boyd is playing he should have skilled line mates and power play time. When Kuzy comes back he would have neither.
i would have agreed much more with this when the fourth line was actually playing really well together and producing. and i agree that boyd is much better suited on a scoring line— but how many games has it been since the fourth line has scored a goal? they could use a shift and putting boyd in seems like its worth a shot given the lines lack of production and success recently. also haven’t gone through the advanced stats, but that line hasn’t seem to have had much defense success recently either

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It was the checking and physical play that won this game. They came out fast and physical. That wore Colorado down.

Caps will always match up well with these type of teams when they want to bring the heavy game
A positive step. They played 2/3 of a game. They need to push harder and play this way closer to 60 min.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He does move. Sometimes though, just stand there is the play. The Backstrom goal was all about Ov standing there on purpose

You’re reaching.....it’s less helpful more often than it is to not move your feet and keep the opponent moving to allow lanes to open.

let’s just agree to disagree if you think a rooted to the ice Ovy is good. I think he’s less effective and the PP suffers when they don’t move.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think we can legitimately start questioning whether this team will make the playoffs. Reirden is way way out of his league. As teams are bearing down into playoff intensity mode, the poor coaching is becoming magnified. Amidst all the good that BM has done, this was a horrible mistake.

Definitely can't see them making the playoffs with Reirden and the Caps playing like this... good call.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Definitely can't see them making the playoffs with Reirden and the Caps playing like this... good call.

You should know by now there are certain "Henny Penny sky is falling" posters who always turn up when we lose a few games. Then we get back on track and they disappear again.
I always find it kind of weird. They never post when the team is playing really well.

(I'm the first to admit I sometimes throw the coaches under the bus prematurely, but I'm always there to scrape them off the road and apologise :laugh: )

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
You should know by now there are certain "Henny Penny sky is falling" posters who always turn up when we lose a few games. Then we get back on track and they disappear again.
I always find it kind of weird. They never post when the team is playing really well.

(I'm the first to admit I sometimes throw the coaches under the bus prematurely, but I'm always there to scrape them off the road and apologise :laugh: )
Those are the very posters who assure me they only long to be wrong.

Meanwhile, decent game. More of the last 40, maybe for closer to 60, and they'll be back on track.

Reactions: Heath

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
i would have agreed much more with this when the fourth line was actually playing really well together and producing. and i agree that boyd is much better suited on a scoring line— but how many games has it been since the fourth line has scored a goal? they could use a shift and putting boyd in seems like its worth a shot given the lines lack of production and success recently. also haven’t gone through the advanced stats, but that line hasn’t seem to have had much defense success recently either
I agree production would be nice but they’re arguably the most consistent line from game to game from a process and effort standpoint, even if the results haven’t been there lately. They’re also one of the best lines in the league analytically so those results they’ve been seeing lately are likely due to poor goaltending by Holtby/Samsonov and an unlucky SH% offensively. Their SH% will probably usually be on the lower side considering they aren’t the most skilled line, but that should certainly rebound.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My favorite part was when I went to sleep with the Caps down one (to Bura of all people) and I woke up and they won.
I was about to go upstairs and I just had a feeling I should watch. Glad I did, the last 30 minutes was some of their best hockey all season. The Avs couldn’t touch the puck in the third.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Holtby prevented that 1st period from being a nightmare, even falling behind 2-0. PK coming up big on that 5-on-3 might have been the turning point of the game. PP shockingly scored 2 goals working hard and not with pretty plays.

Yup. And ALL of that is good. Lets not leave Jensen out of this. Please note the reaction of his teammates on that winning goal.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You’re reaching.....it’s less helpful more often than it is to not move your feet and keep the opponent moving to allow lanes to open.

let’s just agree to disagree if you think a rooted to the ice Ovy is good. I think he’s less effective and the PP suffers when they don’t move.

Ok. Maybe I am not watching and don't understand the game. I did see him move to the LW goal post several times. I saw him moving to find a passing lane thru the box. Maybe that's not moving. Maybe you mean something different.

I am not sure but when Backstrom goes to the LW post for the tap in and isn't covered because that player has chased Ov out to the top of the circle, isn't Ov moving close to Backstrom counter productive?? Isnt that a designed play with his assignment to stay away from the net?

Reactions: kicksavedave

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This was a pleasant surprise. Can the Caps play all their remaining games on the road! It's baffling how this team plays like the worst team @ home and just about beats everybody on the road. There must be some kind of curse/bad karma @ Capitol One Arena(Maybe Ted's stink or something).

What the heck has Ted ever done? :huh: Seems like a fantastic owner.

And no I don't watch basketball.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ok. Maybe I am not watching and don't understand the game. I did see him move to the LW goal post several times. I saw him moving to find a passing lane thru the box. Maybe that's not moving. Maybe you mean something different.

I am not sure but when Backstrom goes to the LW post for the tap in and isn't covered because that player has chased Ov out to the top of the circle, isn't Ov moving close to Backstrom counter productive?? Isnt that a designed play with his assignment to stay away from the net?

The bolded part is false :D

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
What the heck has Ted ever done? :huh: Seems like a fantastic owner.

Eh he is, but he's also raising prices drastically and frankly ripping fans off when they go to the arena. Because he can.

I know we're all numb to billionaires screwing us over at this point but Ted is no exception in that regard.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
My favorite part was when I went to sleep with the Caps down one (to Bura of all people) and I woke up and they won.
Me too, but they were down 2-0 when I turned it off.

Boyd continues to be good when given chances. Having him as depth is great, but he deserves a real chance in this league soon. I kind of hope they move him if they're going to stick him behind 14 and 62.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad