Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Fun fact I did not expect:

Washington was 2 for 5 on the power play. Washington now ranks sixth in the NHL in road power-play percentage (23.4 percent).

Their home PP must be about 0.6% or something, because they are actually ok on the road. Can we fire Fortsythe for just home games?

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Perhaps Jensen got the memo that it’s time to earn the right to play for the best team in the league.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Very nice win. Interesting how they kept going with Orlov-Carlson. They often lean on that duo when trailing but they kept with it when tied. The underlying numbers of those two together are really strong.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Now do this against Metro teams! Not just Western Conference teams

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Very nice win. Interesting how they kept going with Orlov-Carlson. They often lean on that duo when trailing but they kept with it when tied. The underlying numbers of those two together are really strong.
1st pair Caps never had since ancient era?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Orlov was an absolute monster last night. Carlson looked like a Norris winner when he was with Orlov. On the other hand, Kempny continues to be a real concern. On Burakovsky's goal Carlson put Kempny in a bad spot but Kempny played the 2-on-1 really poorly. He looks more and more like that guy who couldn't break the Hawks lineup than the guy who looked like the best TDL acquisition in recent memory.

If I were to rank the defensemen in confidence intervals based on performance as a proxy of their role, i.e. if they're a top pairing defenseman, how confident am I that they're playing that role well, here's how I'd rank them:
  • High: Carlson, Orlov, Siegenthaler
  • Medium: Gudas
  • Low: Kempny, Jensen
I'm not convinced Kempny isn't as big of or even a bigger concern than Jensen right now, which is really alarming when you consider if that's the case they're only capable of icing 2/4 top 4 defensemen. I feel like if you swapped out Kempny and Jensen with, say, Brodin and Petry this team would steamroll people. Part of the reason I think they have looked so poor lately is instead of only having a hole at 2RD, they now have a hole at 1LD and 2RD and it's throwing off the entire team.

It all starts on defense. When they won the Cup in 2018 they had three very solid pairings with no weaknesses and it allowed the forwards to play aggressively without overthinking or having any fear. It's very hard to play offense if your backend is a mess. You're more tired since you're playing defense more, it's harder to break out, you're less likely to take risks, etc. Kempny and Jensen, not Holtby or Samsonov, are the difference between potentially raising the Cup or flaming out in the first round.

Reactions: Bananas and crab

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
When I was still awake I thought Siege didnt have a shift when 3 on 5. It was Carlson with Orlov then Kempny with Gudas. Maybe I missed him between the whistles.

Anyway, Orlov now has both PP and PK load. Maybe he isnt that miserable because he could have more on the other team. Maaaybe.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Caps 3, ex-Caps Burakovsky and Grubbauer 2.
They both came to play last night for sure. Bura with 1G, 1A and Grubby with an outing that would have won him a 1st star of the game on most nights. But man did Holtby carry that team until the rest of guys the finally found their battle quotient.

Reactions: kicksavedave

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Perhaps Jensen got the memo that it’s time to earn the right to play for the best team in the league.

Cheap shot. That makes it sound like he is coasting or something. Unless you think he just now decided that he cares about ice time or a career. I never question his effort. Its his confidence with the puck

Reactions: marcel snapshot

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When I was still awake I thought Siege didnt have a shift when 3 on 5. It was Carlson with Orlov then Kempny with Gudas. Maybe I missed him between the whistles.

Anyway, Orlov now has both PP and PK load. Maybe he isnt that miserable because he could have more on the other team. Maaaybe.

Reirden is using Carlson and Orlov on the 3 on 5 kill. He uses them occasionally on the 4 on 5 kill but they are the d for the 3 on 5 every time. That was the only pk shift of the game for both. Orlov is not carrying much pp load either. He played a little over a minutes on the pp last night while Carlson was over 7 mins

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But the possibility to lose in 1st round is still real.

Isnt a high seed losing in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs common? Wasnt the first round in the east riddled with that last season? Losing in the first round is always a reasonable possibility. Hate the coach or not.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Cheap shot. That makes it sound like he is coasting or something. Unless you think he just now decided that he cares about ice time or a career. I never question his effort. Its his confidence with the puck

They brought up Fever and gave him a try out. They’re clearly looking at the D. He’s been a message board whipping boy for most of the year. He just rode the pine for a game.

Whatever it takes on his end, he needs to be hyper focused on improving. If he manages to pull it off, he’ll stick around. If not, he won’t.

He simply doesn’t have the pedigree of a struggling player such as Holtby. If he doesn’t step up they can and should upgrade him.

It’s the reality of the situation, not a cheap shot.

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I never question his effort. Its his confidence with the puck
Agree with this. It’s mental with Jensen. And not in the way of making stupid decisions either, which often can’t be fixed. He’s just shown uncertainty and tentativeness at moments where he needs to be decisive. The fear of a mistake adding a few milliseconds to his decision-making. I think that’s fixable (and I think his mates, coaches and BMac do too), but you need some evidence to support that, and last night provided some.

Also it’s telling that Oshie in his post game interview stressed that the game turned around when the forwards started playing better defensively and supporting the D. Too many times, a goal against as a result of a 5-man failure gets sloughed off on the last D guy or the goalie.

Last edited:

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Orlov was an absolute monster last night. Carlson looked like a Norris winner when he was with Orlov. On the other hand, Kempny continues to be a real concern. On Burakovsky's goal Carlson put Kempny in a bad spot but Kempny played the 2-on-1 really poorly. He looks more and more like that guy who couldn't break the Hawks lineup than the guy who looked like the best TDL acquisition in recent memory.

If I were to rank the defensemen in confidence intervals based on performance as a proxy of their role, i.e. if they're a top pairing defenseman, how confident am I that they're playing that role well, here's how I'd rank them:
  • High: Carlson, Orlov, Siegenthaler
  • Medium: Gudas
  • Low: Kempny, Jensen
I'm not convinced Kempny isn't as big of or even a bigger concern than Jensen right now, which is really alarming when you consider if that's the case they're only capable of icing 2/4 top 4 defensemen. I feel like if you swapped out Kempny and Jensen with, say, Brodin and Petry this team would steamroll people. Part of the reason I think they have looked so poor lately is instead of only having a hole at 2RD, they now have a hole at 1LD and 2RD and it's throwing off the entire team.

It all starts on defense. When they won the Cup in 2018 they had three very solid pairings with no weaknesses and it allowed the forwards to play aggressively without overthinking or having any fear. It's very hard to play offense if your backend is a mess. You're more tired since you're playing defense more, it's harder to break out, you're less likely to take risks, etc. Kempny and Jensen, not Holtby or Samsonov, are the difference between potentially raising the Cup or flaming out in the first round.

Preach!!

There is no doubt in my mind. They should add a top-4 D at the deadline. Let the winner between Jensen/Kempny take the last spot and the other can be 7D.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok. Maybe I am not watching and don't understand the game. I did see him move to the LW goal post several times. I saw him moving to find a passing lane thru the box. Maybe that's not moving. Maybe you mean something different.

I am not sure but when Backstrom goes to the LW post for the tap in and isn't covered because that player has chased Ov out to the top of the circle, isn't Ov moving close to Backstrom counter productive?? Isnt that a designed play with his assignment to stay away from the net?

yeah that’s it..../eyeroll. Let’s not play your silly games.

Sometimes he moves....sometimes, many times.....he’s pretty stationary. I’m not speaking to one specific play, just overall. It is what it is. If you haven’t noticed it in his career....not sure what to tell you.

Reactions: Heath

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Sometimes this is just because they can't clear the puck and get stuck on the ice for 1 min or so, especially in the 2nd period during the long change. I can't imagine the coach truly intended to play only 4 D for the 2 man PK, but its possible that was by design. I know Jensen should have seen some time on that 2 man PK, did he also not get out there?

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Oh brother. Come on.

Todd is in year 2. It took Trotz what — almost 20yrs to get past the 2nd round?

Let’s compare apples to apples here

edit — I think Trotz made a WCF once there along the way, maybe 10yrs in. I cannot remember

Just looked it up, no he didn't make a WCF in Nashville. The first time he went past the 2nd round was when he won the Cup with the Caps, in his 19th season. But Laviollete took the Preds to the SCF two years after Trotz left.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agree with this. It’s mental with Jensen. And not in the way of making stupid decisions either, which often can’t be fixed. He’s just shown uncertainty and tentativeness at moments where he needs to be decisive. The fear of a mistake adding a few milliseconds to his decision-making. I think that’s fixable (and I think his mates, coaches and BMac do too), but you need some evidence to support that, and last night provided some.

Also it’s telling that Oshie in his post game interview stressed that the game turned around when the forwards started playing better defensively and supporting the D. Too many times, a goal against as a result of a 5-minute failure gets sloughed off on the last D guy or the goalie.

1. Jensen reminds me of the Caps version of Nate Schmidt. He could skate the like the wind and push the puck and then nothing ever happened. His shot looked good but never went in.

2. Oshie is parroting what the coach had been saying about playing as a 5 man unit and not hanging the d and the goalie out. I think that was the focus of their repair work after that last 2 games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yeah that’s it..../eyeroll. Let’s not play your silly games.

Sometimes he moves....sometimes, many times.....he’s pretty stationary. I’m not speaking to one specific play, just overall. It is what it is. If you haven’t noticed it in his career....not sure what to tell you.

I guess I am unclear on what kind of movement you are looking for.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It was a little panic from someone.

But the possibility to lose in 1st round is still real.
The playoffs is still no guarantee. If we lost yesterday we were potentially 8 points from being out of the playoff hunt, while getting manhandled by Metro opponents of late.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Avalanche play by play guy is one of those guys when the opponent scores that you can barely hear the words. Last night was precious. LOL

Reactions: ovikovy817
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->