Pre-Game Talk: Caps at Canes game 3

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
So theyre giving out towels? I was wondering what it would be.

via Canes twitter:
D3_Mv4HWsAYcWAK.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did you see stellar hockey from the Canes on Saturday? I didn’t and the team had a chance. If they clean up the bad starts, they have a chance.

“Have a chance” was a bit of an exaggeration to make a point.

I think we like to ignore the impact an opponent has in causing mistakes. All season long, the Canes MO has been play hard and outwork the opponent. It’s also been that they will have some breakdowns and the key was keeping teams from capitalizing on them or work hard enough to overcome them. For the most part, that’s what I’ve seen so far. We’ve rarely been a team that plays mistake free, clean hockey this season.

Caps otoh, haven’t been a team that outworks or out shoots their opponents for the most part. They have been a team that try’s to make it tough to get great scoring chances, but also have been opportunistic in taking advantage of chances and PPs they get.

That’s the cat and mouse analogy I’m getting at. We will outwork them, we’ll probably outshoot them, but we’ll need to make very few mistakes or they will pounce on them. The start in game 1 wasn’t bad in terms of effort and how the team wants to play, it was the caps cashing in on the few opportunities they got.

It will be interesting to see how things differ in Raleigh. I’m looking forward to it.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Canes in search of first win as series shifts to Raleigh

by Michael Smith @MSmithCanes / CarolinaHurricanes.com
The Hurricanes haven't been overmatched, though. They don't look out of place and even when they haven't been at their best, they've given themselves a fighting chance.
"At the end of the day, the guys are giving everything they have, and that's really all you can ask from them," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said after the Canes dropped a 4-3 OT decision.
The first round is far from over, and a win for the Canes at home in Game 3 could alter the complexion of the series.
"How do we reverse it? We just have to play better and play our game. That will give us a chance, for sure," Brind'Amour said on Sunday. "I'd love to see our best and then see what happens."
"Each game was different in ways that we could have been better," Jordan Staal said. "All in all, we've got to find ways to play better defensively and make sure we don't give them any easy goals. We're fighting to get goals, and they seem to be getting a few easy ones and a few too many good chances."
"You just try to believe that when we play our best, we have a better chance to win," Aho said.
"I'd love to see our best and then see what happens," Brind'Amour said.
Game 3 Preview: Capitals vs. Hurricanes

Reactions: bigredmachine

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Projected lineup for the Hurricanes.
Forwards

Niederreiter-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Wallmark-Martinook
Foegele-McKegg-McGinn
Defense
Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk
Goalies
Mrazek
McElhinney
Scratches: Bean (healthy), Maenalanen (healthy), de Haan (upper body)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Often repeated but never ever duplicated.
The Original Jerks are by far the Best!

Was spying on your board to find your line combinations in hopes of seeing Svechnikov continue to be penciled in on the third line (disappointing for us that he is not) and saw this comment. Not sure what you all have done where you think the Caps would be repeating/duplicating something but this is the hot lap tradition they started during the playoff run last year. Jay Beagle started it and Barry Trotz -- somewhat infamously now in DC -- did the hot lap prior to G7 in Tampa. Good luck tonight.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I rolled around OBX today rocking the Red hoping to encounter all the dejected Montreal fans, and instead encountered tons of Caps fans who came down to kiteboard. They were pretty cool- I guess the legions of Quebecois who typically show up in April aren't here yet.Most of the locals out here don't even know we have a hockey team in this state

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad