GDT: Caps at Buffalo. 1pm EST

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Lavi is a fantastic coach but probably not the right coach for where this team is going to be going forward.

That being said it’s all moot because I think the writing is on the wall that he is not coming back.
He started a goalie on 24 hours rest. He let aging vets play just 24 hours later, instead of giving younger guys some ice.

Laviolette used to be a good coach other places. He is has been a poor coach with the Capitals.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He started a goalie on 24 hours rest. He let aging vets play just 24 hours later, instead of giving younger guys some ice.

Laviolette used to be a good coach other places. He is has been a poor coach with the Capitals.
As Koken said, if you think this was on Kuemper you should stop watching hockey and start watching the XFL because you don’t have a clue.

He started his #1 goaltender who faced a whopping 25 shots yesterday in a must win game today. It’s really not that hard to understand. The team was 1-5-1 before today in the back half of back to backs with Lindgren starting everyone of those games. That is, according to my notes… bad. Pretty bad, if you want to be generous. And you’re angry because he tried something different to give them a better chance?

And I’m sure starting Protas for Eller or NAK and Alexeyev for McIlrath or Irwin would have really made up for his top two lines getting caved in the entire game at even strength. Answer this honestly: do you think playing Protas and Alexeyev today makes the difference? Do you think they win if Protas and Alexeyev are in the lineup?

To make you less mad, just remember no coach is making this roster a contender. They are old and injured and their highest paid players have been outplayed by castoffs and waiver wire pickups. Maybe channel your anger elsewhere? Bruce nor Barry nor Scotty Bowman is winning anything with this year’s roster.

Last edited:

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
As Koken said, if you think this was on Kuemper you should stop watching hockey and start watching the XFL because you don’t have a clue.

He started his #1 goaltender who faced a whopping 25 shots yesterday in a must win game today. It’s really not that hard to understand. The team was 1-5-1 before today in the back half of back to backs with Lindgren starting everyone of those games. That is, according to my notes… bad. Pretty bad, if you want to be generous. And you’re angry because he tried to try something different to give them a better chance?

And I’m sure starting Protas for Eller or NAK and Alexeyev for McIlrath or Irwin would have really made up for his top two lines getting caved in the entire game at even strength. Answer this honestly: do you think playing Protas and Alexeyev today makes the difference? Do you think they win if Protas and Alexeyev are in the lineup?
This. All of this. Slotting players on the fringes makes no real difference. If your best players are playing like sh*t you are doomed no matter what.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This. All of this. Slotting players on the fringes makes no real difference. If your best players are playing like sh*t you are doomed no matter what.
It actually does matter. We need to see if the fringe players can make any difference. The fringe players that play everyday, obviously cannot contribute.

Second, I’m not blaming Kuemper, but it’s still dumb and desperate to start your starter two days in a row.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
It actually does matter. We need to see if the fringe players can make any difference. The fringe players that play everyday, obviously cannot contribute.

Second, I’m not blaming Kuemper, but it’s still dumb and desperate to start your starter two days in a row.
Given the math they had coming into this game starting Kuemper (your best goalie) made sense. Extreme times call for extreme measures.

Once the Caps are mathematically eliminated I have no doubt you will see more young players in the line-up and/or after more bodies are moved after the deadline. Plenty of time to gauge some of their youth.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Given the math they had coming into this game starting Kuemper (your best goalie) made sense. Extreme times call for extreme measures.

Once the Caps are mathematically eliminated I have no doubt you will see more young players in the line-up and/or after more bodies are moved after the deadline. Plenty of time to gauge some of their youth.
So you are saying the statistics point to giving a team a better chance of winning if they start the same goalie two days in a row?

I’d be pretty surprised.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So you are saying the statistics point to giving a team a better chance of winning if they start the same goalie two days in a row?

I’d be pretty surprised.

Ta da!

1677456180475.png

Almost no difference in goalie save% in b2b game with no rest vs their regular season average.

You can't blame Lavi or DK for the loss.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
The problem is neither of these goalies look better than the 2 goalies we had last year. I know I know. Defense bad. But, my eyes tell me they have been subpar and below what the expectations were when we signed them.

Keumper I feel like has been terrible since he returned from his injury.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Ta da!

View attachment 657766

Almost no difference in goalie save% in b2b game with no rest vs their regular season average.

You can’t blame the coach for the loss? The team got boat raced by a team that was down two of their best players.

Seems like something the coach should take heat for.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You can’t blame the coach for the loss? The team got boat raced by a team that was down two of their best players.

Seems like something the coach should take heat for.

You realize this is literally the laziest possible take any sports fan can have, right? Blaming the coach over and over and saying he sucks because the team lost and that's the end of the story?

Anyway you asked the question about stats wrt goalies going b2b and you got em. Not what you expected. But the coach still sucks regardless.

Noted.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
You realize this is literally the laziest possible take any sports fan can have, right? Blaming the coach over and over and saying he sucks because the team lost and that's the end of the story?

Anyway you asked the question about stats wrt goalies going b2b and you got em. Not what you expected. But the coach still sucks regardless.

Noted.
I do really appreciate the stats, so thank you. And let me be clear, there is plenty of blame to go around. I do not believe any other coach will win with this group. I know for a fact Laviolette cannot.

But also, the stats don’t save Laviolette here.. If it’s statistically a coin flip, then why start the older goaltender two days in a row?

By every conceivable measure, He is doing a terrible job. He’s the exact wrong guy to get us through this retool period. He’s desperate.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I do really appreciate the stats, so thank you. And let me be clear, there is plenty of blame to go around. I do not believe any other coach will win with this group. I know for a fact Laviolette cannot.

But also, the stats don’t save Laviolette here.. If it’s statistically a coin flip, then why start the older goaltender two days in a row?

By every conceivable measure, He is doing a terrible job. He’s the exact wrong guy to get us through this retool period. He’s desperate.
I wouldn’t be worried about it. It’s fairly clear he won’t be brought back.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Wow. Are you an NHL head coach looking for a job or something? Because you're literally talking in circles.

Whatever

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Ta da!

View attachment 657766

I remember back in the “good old days” when this regularly happened in the NHL and nobody wet themselves over it. Back to back?! ***GASP***

Reactions: g00n and Calicaps

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Tonight would have been a great night to watch a Caps game for me ... schedule is wide open, caught up on TLOU, havent dranken in a few days, kid is at her moms ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad