Caps assistant coaches (Forsythe PP/Analytics, Lambert F/PK, Reirden D/PP, Korn G)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kolzig "expressed his desire to not continue as a full-time goaltending coach due to family reasons."

Those pesky "family reasons." Claiming Caps coach after Caps coach. :sarcasm:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Orly? Where is Brent Peterson now?
He retired due to Parkinson's but still has a front office advisory role with Nashville.

Considering some of the talk of various current NHL D coaches being interviewed I'd guess that if Horachek is hired it's either for the forwards or as the head guy in Hershey. Then there's Claude Noel but there hasn't been any mention of him for a while.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Kolzig "expressed his desire to not continue as a full-time goaltending coach due to family reasons."

Those pesky "family reasons." Claiming Caps coach after Caps coach. :sarcasm:

Family reasons is the new "we're moving in a different direction".

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Korn is official.

I had the pleasure of attending Korn's goalie camp here in Nashville. Awesome guy, even better coach. Honestly, as excited as I am that we finally replaced Trotz with some new life, losing Korn almost makes me regret it. He's that good. If you need proof, look at Lindback in Nashville vs. Lindback in Tampa. A little bit of defense, but Korn is a miracle worker.

You guys got arguably the best goalie coach in the world. This will fly under the radar but is a huge pickup for you all.

Best of luck. Rooting for you, Trotz, and Korn next year.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm liking the coaching hires. I'm giving it until July 3 to make an assessment for the 2014-15 season. Hopefully, the new GM will address the defense situation.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad Calle and Olaf are gone. Liked them as players, but I have seen nothing to tell me they are good coaches. The team regressed during their tenure. Sure it was likely mostly Oates but then Calle and Olaf should have hosted a blanket party and told Oates he has lost it. They towed the party line right into the swamp. See ya up in the rafters one day.

Korn sounds damn good.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Dejan_Kovacevic: Here at @Penguins press conference. Releases being passed out. Tocchet hired. Granato, Reirden gone. Martin staying in TBD capacity.

@FriedgeHNIC: PIT announces Rick Tocchet on coaching staff...Johnston will hire one more. Keep hearing Todd Reirden's name with WASH.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
From the Department of I Should Certainly Fuggin Hope So:

If Trotz can pull off a culture change here, we'll have to re-name him Trotsky.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ll-be-uncomfortable-for-some-guys-says-trotz/

Barry Trotz is out to change the culture of the Washington Capitals.
“There’s no black and white,†Trotz told Monumental Network recently … It’ll be uncomfortable for some guys.â€
“I think everyone knows what’s expected,†said Trotz. “The professionalism and the expectations are such that you have to buy in or we’ll be buttingheads.â€

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I wonder if Barry is confident he can coach a defensive style and needs/wants people who know how to handle offensive talent to let Ovi and Co. role?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On paper several solid moves that seem to signal a change in perspective. Coaches with solid experience are being brought in. One might argue they're superlatives. For the first time in a long time we don't have to wonder if the coaches even know what they're doing.

I wonder if Ted/Dick/Gmbm stop there and let that take hold before making too many significant player adjustments, which means assuming coaching was almost all of the problem, or if they're going with the concept that new coaches mean new assessments of the players as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I can't say I love what PIT has done in the D zone the past few years but their regular season numbers are mostly pretty decent. It's also hard to say how much of their systems and breakout were him and how much was Bylsma. Their special teams were mostly solid so it'll be good for him to add input in those areas I guess. He's young yet experienced enough to perhaps really thrive here for a while. We'll see.

I don't know that they were going to make many significant player changes anyway. A low-risk constructive off-season would involve just signing some short-term vets that can help add the sort of accountability everyone is looking for. I think we've seen enough to suggest that the existing core isn't going to do that job by themselves and if they can add balance and leadership from the outside they should. Ultimately it's on the core but they never did replace Knuble and that sort of room presence may be needed more now than ever.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I've said it once, twice, no three times.. I'll say it again. Trotz is running this show, hes calling his guys, hes doing the hiring. I'm pretty sure he has a plan in place. I expect him to tell GMBM who he wants on this team and it will happen. I love the moves so far and I think we are going to see this team recover from the damage that has been cast on it over the past few seasons, rather quickly I may add.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Well if nothing else, I am excited about the Caps in a way I have not been in a few years. I believe they call this feeling "hope."

:laugh: I like Trotz a lot more than Oates. He is serious about giving full effort. And I like bringing in Korn.

Still, the roster is weak. If BMac can't improve the roster then we are no better off than before. I am interested to see what BMac does this weekend.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
:laugh: I like Trotz a lot more than Oates. He is serious about giving full effort. And I like bringing in Korn.

Still, the roster is weak. If BMac can't improve the roster then we are no better off than before. I am interested to see what BMac does this weekend.

Well sure. But we knew GMGM wouldn't do what needed to be done. At least now it could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad