Caps assistant coaches (Forsythe PP/Analytics, Lambert F/PK, Reirden D/PP, Korn G)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Preferably some that actually have some kind of system in their mind instead of the good old ''Just go out there and have fun''.

So no thanks to CalleJo.

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
I've heard Claude Noel and Peter Horachek (don't know if I'm spelling it right but the guy who was the Panthers interm coach this season)

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Anyone recall what Horachek's responsibilities were in Nashville? I think I remember it being special teams and D but not sure that's right.

How is Noel as a developmental coach? Could be a good fit for Hershey. Strong relationships throughout the organization would be nice.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Anyone recall what Horachek's responsibilities were in Nashville? I think I remember it being special teams and D but not sure that's right.

How is Noel as a developmental coach? Could be a good fit for Hershey. Strong relationships throughout the organization would be nice.

All I really know about Noel is that Jets fans blame him for Burmistrov running back to Russia and creating the rift with Kane, so that doesn't bode particularly well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/trotz-put-his-stamp-caps-coaching-staff
“I’ve talked with all current staff and now I’m just trying to fill some holes,” Trotz said Tuesday. “I’m working with [new general manager] Brian [MacLellan] to do that and hopefully we can go forward and whatever perceived holes we have we can correct.

“Last week was all, I would say, sort of an investigation on getting a lay of the land. And this week will be sort of putting a few things in motion if we can.”...

“There are certain areas I think there’s really good people there, but at the same time I think there a couple areas we can improve upon,” Trotz said. “Some areas obviously you want to bring in people you’ve dealt with to fill some of those holes and that’s what I’m in the process of doing right now.”

Among the potential candidates to join Trotz in the Caps organization are former Winnipeg Jets head coach Claude Noel, former Florida Panthers head coach Peter Horachek, Predators assistant coach Lane Lambert, former Team Canada assistant coach Doug Shedden, Toronto Maple Leafs assistant coach Dave Farrish, Syracuse Crunch head coach Rob Zettler and former Canucks assistant coach Mike Sullivan.
I suppose Noel as an assistant would carry himself and likely handle things a bit differently. It might be better to have him as an assistant rather than the head guy in Hershey.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Preferably some that actually have some kind of system in their mind instead of the good old ''Just go out there and have fun''.

So no thanks to CalleJo.

I know that its cheap and easy to take shots at Johansson, but use some logic. Adam Oates was just about OCD about how he wanted things done. He wanted things done his way in everyway and that included goaltending which he knew next to nothing about.

so this description of what Johansson was coaching makes no sense whatsoever.

Further, Johansson or any assistants knowledge of systems was irrelevant as they were to coach Oates' system. Period.

As for who the Caps assistant coaches will be....I think they might be the same 3. Kolzig is staying. Tal goalie....LOL. he might stay. Rob Zettler. former Cap. in for Johansson. Heads explode

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/trotz-put-his-stamp-caps-coaching-staff

I suppose Noel as an assistant would carry himself and likely handle things a bit differently. It might be better to have him as an assistant rather than the head guy in Hershey.

Again with the "good people" reference. He seems fond of using it, wonder if it's his way of saying "you're doing a hell of a job Brownie" and we all know what comes next, "leave the gun take the cannolis".

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Rob Zettler = ex-cap

Again with the "good people" reference. He seems fond of using it, wonder if it's his way of saying "you're doing a hell of a job Brownie" and we all know what comes next, "leave the gun take the cannolis".

Well she does have a really nice personality.

Halpysback*

I know that its cheap and easy to take shots at Johansson, but use some logic. Adam Oates was just about OCD about how he wanted things done. He wanted things done his way in everyway and that included goaltending which he knew next to nothing about.

so this description of what Johansson was coaching makes no sense whatsoever.

Further, Johansson or any assistants knowledge of systems was irrelevant as they were to coach Oates' system. Period.

As for who the Caps assistant coaches will be....I think they might be the same 3. Kolzig is staying. Tal goalie....LOL. he might stay. Rob Zettler. former Cap. in for Johansson. Heads explode

Just because Oates was derp doesn't automatically mean everyone else was non-derp. I doubt Oates was manipulating Johansson's mouth and having him sound clueless in his bench interviews.

Liberati0n*

Noel + Horachek + Prior + Forsythe (video coach).

Special teams coach is a better title. I really like the idea of having Noel around, and of having essentially three head coaches behind the bench, especially after Oates' need to have weak, unthreatening people under him. Forsythe did well implementing the PP and he could probably do well with whatever PK scheme they want to run.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Just because Oates was derp doesn't automatically mean everyone else was non-derp. I doubt Oates was manipulating Johansson's mouth and having him sound clueless in his bench interviews.

Yeah I definitely have compelling behind the bench interviewee high on my list of desired coaching attributes... ;)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Olaf may end up being a good G coach but I wonder if his relationship with Holtby is damaged from Oates's quack ways. Oates was so bizarre, I am growing more and more concerned every day that all of the Oates assistants remain on staff. I don't want to risk it. We must have lots of ex caps willing to be ACs if they must be ex caps.

Even Blaine is expendable. Expecting him to do more than he has already? I am not seeing him making our PP better than it already is.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Olaf may end up being a good G coach but I wonder if his relationship with Holtby is damaged from Oates's quack ways. Oates was so bizarre, I am growing more and more concerned every day that all of the Oates assistants remain on staff. I don't want to risk it. We must have lots of ex caps willing to be ACs if they must be ex caps.

Even Blaine is expendable. Expecting him to do more than he has already? I am not seeing him making our PP better than it already is.

Better? You're right, that's probably not going to happen.
However, the coaching staff (Forsythe or otherwise) will have to work to keep it relevant. No system is perfect, and there have already been a few teams that knew how and when to attack to shut it down. Pressuring Backstrom with the right support on his outlets has done wonders for opposing PKs. Once more teams realize that sitting back eventually gets shredded (you can't keep it away from OV and Brouwer for 2-minutes), the PK's efficacy will decline.
Oates/Forsythe already made some adjustments (allowing the down low man to come across the crease and screen the goaltender, for instance), but further ones are going to have to be made as the league adapts. Carlson/Green/the point man may have to become a more dangerous shooting option. Or the play may have to be reversed more often to keep the PK skating. Whatever the solution is, they're going to need someone to keep the powerplay ahead of the opposition. I'm not sure Forsythe is the man for the job, but if he had a lot of influence in the creation of the system, he should probably be involved (especially if he's allowed to continue breaking free of Oates' hatred of crease traffic).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad