Friedman: Caps asking for a couple of mid-high picks for Burakovsky

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Worth the same as the guy on pace for 40 goals? :laugh:

DeBrincat will have twice as many goals as Burakovsky will have points by season's end.
I mean you’re not wrong but would you care to tell me anything about either players line-mates? Can you even name Burakovsky’s? I’d honestly be surprised if you could without looking. I’m a Regular Caps fan and I’d be hard pressed to tell you Burt’s most consistent line-mates by quarter season. By contrast, two of Debrincat’s most consistent line-mates this season are making $10M+/season each so....

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I mean you’re not wrong but would you care to tell me anything about either players line-mates? Can you even name Burakovsky’s? I’d honestly be surprised if you could without looking. I’m a Regular Caps fan and I’d be hard pressed to tell you Burt’s most consistent line-mates by quarter season. By contrast, two of Debrincat’s most consistent line-mates this season are making $10M+/season each so....

The difference between the two is day and night and it has little to do with linemates. One is really talented and putting up points, the other is all flash little substance as I said before.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The issue to me is not the lack of talent in the bottom six, it’s poor line up choices. Dowd, Boyd, and Jaskin should be in the lineup. DSP should not. Burakovsky should not be on the team. So, no, I don’t want Beagle back this or next year when the players that should be in the lineup are not in the lineup.

The Caps are a terrible face off team. They don't have a right hand center. The pk struggles. Team structure and dissapline falters. Yet Dowd is ok? Dude. Come on

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I haven't read through the thread but can someone give me the sparknotes?

I am trying to find the answer to "Why is a soft, underachieving winger who doesn't contribute on special teams and has never cracked 20 goals or 40 points in 5 seasons worth even a 2nd round pick let alone multiple picks?"

HMU if you can find the answer.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Stats say otherwise - in 44GP, he's had 17 giveaways, 16 takeaways.

At his best bura is a poor mans Forsberg. At his worst... he’s a blind passing, turnover machine. He can’t be compared to forsberg because he’s so damn inconsistent. He is extremely high skill and a complete mental midget.

As for him being better than Vrana...that’s just silly. Vrana is consistent and shows up on a nightly basis, burkie isn’t and is a hit or miss.

You’re right about him putting up decent numbers elsewhere. I think he needs a change of scenery, badly. He’ll most likely get top 6 minutes and PP time.

I want him gone because he just doesn’t fit on the caps roster and I think caps can get a decent return.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
The Caps are a terrible face off team. They don't have a right hand center. The pk struggles. Team structure and dissapline falters. Yet Dowd is ok? Dude. Come on
Beagle with his current contract is not the solution. You might want him now and next year and let BM handle the other two years of his contract but I'm sure BM wouldnt want to touch that thing. Let it go.

Good points made about the team though.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Stats say otherwise - in 44GP, he's had 17 giveaways, 16 takeaways.

Thanks for this. I actually just took the time to research his advanced stats, which I almost never do before I post. On paper, he looks a lot better than his on-ice product shows. I don't know if you ever watch Caps games but some nights he's great, other nights he looks lost, completely mismanaging the puck. His current position with the Caps (4th line, sometimes 3rd) doesn't mesh well with his playstyle, which is the main issue here.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Beagle with his current contract is not the solution. You might want him now and next year and let BM handle the other two years of his contract but I'm sure BM wouldnt want to touch that thing. Let it go.

Good points made about the team though.

I don't know anything. I am just a fan. You could say the same about signing the original Orpik deal. Not saying that Beagle is even available. Vancouver retaining though effectively creates the Oprik trade in reverse. So I am not at all sure BM wants nothing to do with it.

I know there are people here that were done with Beagle all last season and didn't want to keep him at any price.

I just know what Ive seen that he brings to the team and that in the situation they are in now that they miss him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You thinking Beagle fixes team defensive structure, faceoffs, and the PK all by himself sure is something.

I think, because its been stated on numerous occasions by players and coaching staff over the years, that his influence on and off the ice as a lesser skilled player that plays consistently at a high level and consistently plays as directed without deviation guides the team back on track.

All by himself? Depends on what you mean by that. He effects two players who then effect other players. He shows one player how its done and it changes the momentum of a problem.

Just like consistently winning the first face off of a pk or defense zone face off in the last minute of a game with a lead makes a major impact. Something they are just not getting right now

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
So Semin 2.0?
He isn't at talented as Semin. Full-stop. When Semin wanted to be he was the most talented player on the Capitals in terms of pure skill (even more than Ovechkin). He just didn't care most nights.

Burakovsky has had 4 years to prove himself to some degree, and has been put in decent spots at times to succeed with world-class players. He just hasn't been able to put it together. I hope he does but I don't think it will ever be here.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If the caps can get a 2nd and 3rd they should pull the trigger. Just the salary cap space alone gives them more roster flexibility, even if they can’t find a replacement before the TDL. Riley Barber has been putting up good numbers in Hershey and is deserving of a call up but is blocked due to salary cap constraints and roster size.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Don’t understand the Capitals thinking here?

They aren’t getting anything to help them this year back in a couple mid round picks and those picks probably won’t ever help them in the NHL.

Especially once Ovechkin begins to fall off, their window will close.

It would be better for them to just kee him and go after another Stanley Cup than to just get rid of him.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
A 4th and a 5th? LOL. He should be worth about as much as Alex Debrincat.
DeBrincat is actually good though. Caps should be thankful if they even get a 2nd he has regressed every season not to mention youd have to pay 3 million plus just to qualify him. The list of teams out there where he would be a top 6 RW or LW also isnt the biggest either.

Last edited:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

DeBrincat outdid Burkovsky's best season ever in his rookie year while having Patrick Sharp and Lance Bouma as his linemates. DeBrincat has been shuffled around the lineup a lot this season through Q'isms and the coaching change he has produced no matter who his linemate is even now he has been great with Strome while Kane and Toews currently play together. Burakovsky has been useless away from the caps top 6

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
Don’t understand the Capitals thinking here?

They aren’t getting anything to help them this year back in a couple mid round picks and those picks probably won’t ever help them in the NHL.

Especially once Ovechkin begins to fall off, their window will close.

It would be better for them to just kee him and go after another Stanley Cup than to just get rid of him.

Burakovsky is soft, makes poor passes, doesnt hold the puck well. He is fast and can shoot the puck just dont ask him to do anything else. He cannot create offense.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The difference between the two is day and night and it has little to do with linemates. One is really talented and putting up points, the other is all flash little substance as I said before.

DeBrincat outdid Burkovsky's best season ever in his rookie year while having Patrick Sharp and Lance Bouma as his linemates. DeBrincat has been shuffled around the lineup a lot this season through Q'isms and the coaching change he has produced no matter who his linemate is even now he has been great with Strome while Kane and Toews currently play together. Burakovsky has been useless away from the caps top 6
Man you guys got the point like Stevie Wonder reviewing an Escher Projection. Kudos.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
why would the caps be selling this guy for picks at the deadline? i would think they will want a body for the roster or they will wait until summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad