Friedman: Caps asking for a couple of mid-high picks for Burakovsky

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I feel like if this was actually true, he would have been moved already :dunno:

Trading a 2nd and 3rd for Burakovsky is a great trade for any team
I think it's a new development.

Earlier this season the word was they only wanted a player they could plug into the lineup ASAP, seems like they've walked that back. He's clearly not in their long term plans and his value drops off a cliff in the summer when they only have his rights, I think this is a case of them not wanted to lose more value so they've altered their expectations.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Blake Comeau + 2019 2nd + 2020 3rd for Burakovsky

Caps get a great PKer that would probably fit better on the Capitals anyways and a guy that isn't a fit here and still get their 2 picks.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Bura has struggled this year and that is a lot for a 3rd line guy. A team would have to really believe in him but we will see. He's young but that's not exactly a buying low price.

Reactions: Blueston

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Blake Comeau + 2019 2nd + 2020 3rd for Burakovsky

Caps get a great PKer that would probably fit better on the Capitals anyways and a guy that isn't a fit here and still get their 2 picks.
I don’t see the Capitals wanting that Comeau contract in this exchange. It only further handicaps any moves they could make using the acquired picks which is the desired commodity as stated. Also given the criteria you’re using, Comeau is sounding dangerously like a Cap Dump and Burakovsky’s value, at a minimum, is the picks without any filler as suggested in the article.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I think Hagelin(salary retained) + pick for Burakovsky could be a good trade for the Kings/Caps.
I’ve made my thoughts on Hagelin known in the other thread. If the Caps have moved on to seeking picks alone for Burakovsky, the idea of Hagelin becomes even less appealing. How are the Caps going to use any picks they acquire when this deal is Salary Cap Negative or, at best, even or near (with retention). The pick from LA would have to be pretty enticing and I don’t see any incentive for them in that case.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would rather just keep Burakovsky for the playoffs and risk losing him for nothing this summer if a few picks are the return, unless those picks are used as part of a secondary transaction for a better player.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
At this point I doubt they bring any salary back in a trade unless it’s a pure rental. Vrana needs a new contract and GMBM has made it clear they want it to be more of a long term deal. Some of Burakovsky’s $$$ will be going towards Vrana’s raise and rightfully so

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Talk about wasting your picks. His QO is going to be so high too next summer. I'm sure they will find an idiot somewhere who makes that deal though. Garbage like Lazar and Vey somehow returned a 2nd as well.

Reactions: Blueston

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would rather just keep Burakovsky for the playoffs and risk losing him for nothing this summer if a few picks are the return, unless those picks are used as part of a secondary transaction for a better player.

My view is that they are finding that contenders want Burt more so than developing teams. The developing teams want picks and prospects. MacLellan just said he wanted a player for player deal, but it might just be that a good player for player deal isn't there and the player they want can only be bought with draft picks.

Do you think Vancouver would take a prospect defenseman, of which the Caps are loaded, and a draft pick for Jay Beagle?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
As an Oil fan I'd definitely roll the dice on Burakovsky for a 2nd + 3rd. We'd have to clear salary first (unless you guys are willing to take Rieder, but I doubt it).

Hope we're in on this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Personally dont see how Burakovsky is worth even a 2nd let alone adding

Guy is softer than butter

Burakovsky is worth more than that and worth a qualifying offer to extend him if you can help him find his confidence. A 2nd round pick is rarely an NHL player. A 4th round pick is almost never an NHL player. How many hits has your favorite team scored in those rounds the last half dozen years? its even money that with those two picks a good drafting and developing NHL team would get nothing. Burakovsky can be a legit 20 goal 50pt player. He scored 2 goals in a critical playoff game v Tampa last season. He can be a game/series breaker. He is worth more than nothing.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Burakovsky is a rental because nobody is giving him that QO.

I'll be surprised to see the Caps get one of those high picks.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Burakovsky is worth more than that and worth a qualifying offer to extend him if you can help him find his confidence. A 2nd round pick is rarely an NHL player. A 4th round pick is almost never an NHL player. How many hits has your favorite team scored in those rounds the last half dozen years? its even money that with those two picks a good drafting and developing NHL team would get nothing. Burakovsky can be a legit 20 goal 50pt player. He scored 2 goals in a critical playoff game v Tampa last season. He can be a game/series breaker. He is worth more than nothing.
fair enough, so a 2nd and a 4th I suppose is fair when you put it that way.

But Johansson only received a 2nd and 3rd, but that may have been due to cap crunch

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
As an Oil fan I'd definitely roll the dice on Burakovsky for a 2nd + 3rd. We'd have to clear salary first (unless you guys are willing to take Rieder, but I doubt it).

Hope we're in on this.
You want to give up picks and pay a 4th liner $3.25M? That does seem like an Oiler thing to do.

Reactions: vanarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad