Friedman: Caps asking for a couple of mid-high picks for Burakovsky

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
He is actually better than Vrana but he isn't being used or developed properly. He is similar player to Kuznetsov or Orlov in his skills with puck.
Have you even watched a Caps game this year? Vrana has surpassed Burakovsky in just about every aspect. Vrana uses his speed and has actually put up points, plus he has shown the ability to finally play in his own zone. Burakovsky has yet to put it together. Yes there is some speed and skill there but there also is some serious confidence issues. The guy knows he has been surpassed on the depth chart, yet he hasn’t stepped up his game to gain more ice time.

Reactions: BHD

EclecticDarkness

Nov 5, 2013
Maryland
from an isles pov , did Trotz have a good relationship with him ?
He fell out of favour with Trotz, especially last season. Was a healthy scratch even when he returned from injury in the playoffs, and only broke the lineup again when Backstrom was injured in the Pittsburgh series. I’d say if not for Trotz the Isles would be an ideal landing spot but don’t think it happens. Burakovsky never fully bought into Trotz’s system and it showed

Reactions: Isles72

EclecticDarkness

Nov 5, 2013
Maryland
He is Filip Forsberg 2.0. When he is traded he will put up William Karlsson numbers from last season on new team. He has that talent. Caps are not using him properly. He has top line supporting forward potential as a solid #3. So if you put Burakovsky-Seguin-Benn he would put up huge numbers.

He is actually better than Vrana but he isn't being used or developed properly. He is similar player to Kuznetsov or Orlov in his skills with puck.
I hope this is bait

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This. Burakovsky is Filip Forsberg 2.0. Caps are dumb to sell him low.
Just imagine the Jets unloading Laine right now for peanuts because he has like 3 points in 1.5 months.
Not even close to either Forsberg nor Laine. Absolutely different levels. This is a laughable statement.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
He is not Forsberg or Laine.

But with a change of scenery he could bounce back. In his prime he should at least be a 20 goal, 30 assist kind of player.

A team like Colorado should definitely look into him. Colorado does not have much after that 1st line. Burakowsky can play left wing or right wing and with more ice time could really help the Avs.

Dallas is another team that should look at him...not to mention LA.

Reactions: agentblack and BHD

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
He is Filip Forsberg 2.0. When he is traded he will put up William Karlsson numbers from last season on new team. He has that talent. Caps are not using him properly. He has top line supporting forward potential as a solid #3. So if you put Burakovsky-Seguin-Benn he would put up huge numbers.

At his best bura is a poor mans Forsberg. At his worst... he’s a blind passing, turnover machine. He can’t be compared to forsberg because he’s so damn inconsistent. He is extremely high skill and a complete mental midget.

As for him being better than Vrana...that’s just silly. Vrana is consistent and shows up on a nightly basis, burkie isn’t and is a hit or miss.

You’re right about him putting up decent numbers elsewhere. I think he needs a change of scenery, badly. He’ll most likely get top 6 minutes and PP time.

I want him gone because he just doesn’t fit on the caps roster and I think caps can get a decent return.

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Since Colorado is shopping Zadorov, I think a trade involving Zadorov and Burakowsky could benefit both teams.

Caps are struggling defensive and Zadorov is a +11 this season, highest plus/minus among all of Colorado's dmen.

Colorado definitely needs to improve their secondary scoring so Burakowsky makes a lot of sense.

This kind of move would give Caps a much stronger Defense core:
Niskanen - Carlson
Orlov - Zadorov
Orpik - Kempny
Bowey/Djoos

For Colorado, this greatly improves their top 6:
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakowsky - Soderberg - Compher

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
fair enough, so a 2nd and a 4th I suppose is fair when you put it that way.

But Johansson only received a 2nd and 3rd, but that may have been due to cap crunch

Johansson was all salary cap. The Caps were definitely looking for bail out of cap jail.(Note the nightmare of having a team called The Caps in a salary cap era)

After more thought, I think what Vancouver might want is one of the Caps young defense prospects. The Caps have 5 or 6 strong projected as NHL defensemen already in the system. Bowey and Seigenthaler are in the NHL. Lewington has played well in callup games. Hobbs is said by the gm to be NHL ready and Johansen is believed to be the best of those. My guess is that the picks for Burakovsky stock the Caps picks so they can trade one along with one of those defensemen.

Its probably not Beagle but he certainly appears to be what the Caps are missing

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am extremely confused where you got the idea second round picks are rarely nhlers and fourth round picks almost NEVER.... that a serious statement? Currently 155 Active 2nd round NHL players and 70 4th rounders. That's just active players and not the ones from the past. Silly statement.

Not silly. Please give me the percentage hit on NHL players if you like. 200 games or more.
Do you want to argue with me that a 2nd and a 4th is even money to not net an NHL player?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know if the Canucks would take that deal but I know I sure don't want Beagle back until age 37 at $3mm/year.

Do you want him back for this season and maybe next? Particularly if they need him, which they do? The issue is not 4 years from now. Its April

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know if the Canucks would take that deal but I know I sure don't want Beagle back until age 37 at $3mm/year.

Do you want him back for this season and maybe next? Particularly if they need him, which they do? The issue is not 4 years from now. Its April

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What in God’s name makes you think he is comparable other than you think he has good hands? Lots of players have great assets in terms of skill and speed but never put it together at the NHL level. There is nothing to make anyone think that Burakovsky will put up big numbers elsewhere.

Last year he looked like Kuznetsov before Kuznetsov was consistent.

You can't say he can't put it together in NHL when he does things like this with his talent

Reactions: cardinalnation

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mid high picks? a 4th and a 5th I presume. I may do this. The guy looks like a 3rd liner. There are no guarantees on 4th and 5th rd picks even playing in the NHL.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Why? Burakovsky last season has shown that his top level talent is as good as Ovi/Kuzy/Backstrom such as the play above
You’re cherry picking a few of his best plays. We know he has a high rate of skill and a decent shot. That’s not the problem. The problem is that he can’t string together more than a few good games at a time and perform on a consistent level.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A 4th and a 5th? LOL. He should be worth about as much as Alex Debrincat.

I would rate Debrincat higher. But I would do Burakovsky for a 2nd and 4th rd pick. When I read it, I was saying only mid-high picks? Would not make sense to me for a player I liked in his draft year.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Last year he looked like Kuznetsov before Kuznetsov was consistent.

You can't say he can't put it together in NHL when he does things like this with his talent

Yes, yes I can. There are many players throughout history who have played well here and there but never became productive NHL players. I've seen him play in Eerie, and all throughout his career in WSH. It ain't going to happen. The problem is between the ears, he loses confidence.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He is not Forsberg or Laine.

But with a change of scenery he could bounce back. In his prime he should at least be a 20 goal, 30 assist kind of player.

A team like Colorado should definitely look into him. Colorado does not have much after that 1st line. Burakowsky can play left wing or right wing and with more ice time could really help the Avs.

Dallas is another team that should look at him...not to mention LA.

Avs should add proven players, not question marks. Burakovsky is the ultimate tease, much liek Boedker was throughout his career, he shows flashes of a potentially good player only to disappoint you in the end. All flash, little substance.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yes, yes I can. There are many players throughout history who have played well here and there but never became productive NHL players. I've seen him play in Eerie, and all throughout his career in WSH. It ain't going to happen. The problem is between the ears, he loses confidence.

So Semin 2.0?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just say no to illpucks. Burakovsky isn't close to any of the names he's being compared to.

Most people describe him as an 'all tools but no toolbox' type of player, but I really don't even think his tools are that good to begin with. But I'm probably as down on Burakovsky as anybody around here. A 2nd + 3rd would be a great trade for Washington at this point.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

The issue to me is not the lack of talent in the bottom six, it’s poor line up choices. Dowd, Boyd, and Jaskin should be in the lineup. DSP should not. Burakovsky should not be on the team. So, no, I don’t want Beagle back this or next year when the players that should be in the lineup are not in the lineup.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad