Friedman: Caps asking for a couple of mid-high picks for Burakovsky

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Burakovsky is soft, makes poor passes, doesnt hold the puck well. He is fast and can shoot the puck just dont ask him to do anything else. He cannot create offense.

I’d still say he’s better than anyone the Caps could put into his spot or else he would already not be in the lineup.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I don't know anything. I am just a fan. You could say the same about signing the original Orpik deal. Not saying that Beagle is even available. Vancouver retaining though effectively creates the Oprik trade in reverse. So I am not at all sure BM wants nothing to do with it.

I know there are people here that were done with Beagle all last season and didn't want to keep him at any price.

I just know what Ive seen that he brings to the team and that in the situation they are in now that they miss him.
I loved Beagle's game actually for what he was getting paid on the Caps. For a couple of years at that price he'd be a welcome addition but Canucks most certainly would retain 50% of that contratc only if some reeeeeaaally good piece went their way. Burakovsky+ some middle pick is not that piece and I don't want Beagle at 35+ age on the team. They might very well have to add to him something good to get rid of him at that point.

Shagged Yer Nan

Tom Filthson
Feb 15, 2012
NoVa
Don’t understand the Capitals thinking here?

They aren’t getting anything to help them this year back in a couple mid round picks and those picks probably won’t ever help them in the NHL.

Especially once Ovechkin begins to fall off, their window will close.

It would be better for them to just kee him and go after another Stanley Cup than to just get rid of him.

The Caps thinking in my opinion: The Caps are in a weird spot. Their bottom 6 is juggled around a lot trying to find the right combination of players who mesh well together. It's a revolving door of scratches on a nightly basis, Bura being one of those. Those bottom 6 players (Boyd, Bura, Jaskin, Dowd, SP) who are getting scratched are finding it very hard to find consistency. Ideally the Caps would like to move a forward for this reason, Bura being the best choice because he literally doesn't fit on the roster. He's a top 6 skill player playing 4th line minutes and expecting to succeed.

By trading him at the deadline, there might be some desperate owners who over value him. Trading Bura for picks will open cap space, replenish our system (which isn't looking that great), and allow for the bottom 6 guys to find consistency with their lines.

Reactions: Hockey4Lyfe

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Bottom line DeBrincat can score no matter what line he is on at this point Burakovsky would be lucky to even get 25 pts at the end of the season
The Bottom Line is that Burakovsky's most common line mates are Brett Connolly and Lars Eller and have a combined 46PTs between them. Debrincat’s most common line mates are Dominik Kahun and Jonathan Towes who have a combined 68PTs between them.

Debrincat’s also averaging a rather stout 6+ more min. in Total TOI as well as 2:30 more PP TOI per game.

We get it, Debrincat is a better player currently in a vacuum. However, this context which you’re either ignoring or, more likely, conveniently neglecting to mention is relevant and suggests that the comparison you’d like us all to believe is well-founded and even is actually wholly disingenuous and essentially a flat-out misconstruction and the height of misleading and deceitful.

Hopefully you are a more trustworthy poster than your faulty analysis implies.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Bottom line DeBrincat can score no matter what line he is on at this point Burakovsky would be lucky to even get 25 pts at the end of the season
This is wholly unsupported. DeBrincat has scored a combined ~13% of his PTs this season on a line WITHOUT EITHER OF Toews or Kane. Burakovsky has had nowhere near a similar level of on-ice support.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I loved Beagle's game actually for what he was getting paid on the Caps. For a couple of years at that price he'd be a welcome addition but Canucks most certainly would retain 50% of that contratc only if some reeeeeaaally good piece went their way. Burakovsky+ some middle pick is not that piece and I don't want Beagle at 35+ age on the team. They might very well have to add to him something good to get rid of him at that point.

1. Beagle at 35+ can be dealt with after another playoff run.
2. I think Hobbs or Lewington or Bowey and a 2nd round pick might be what Vancouver wants. Those players are NHL ready. Worth more than any draft pick but a 1st.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
1. Beagle at 35+ can be dealt with after another playoff run.
2. I think Hobbs or Lewington or Bowey and a 2nd round pick might be what Vancouver wants. Those players are NHL ready. Worth more than any draft pick but a 1st.
You and I usually see eye-to-eye Tx but I wouldn’t trade any of those players and a 2nd for Beagle. It’s like a bad breakup just time to move on. Like I don’t think Chiasson is the guy some EDM fans think he is, I don’t think Beagle is the guy you are remembering anymore. 50% retained for a nominal pick? Absolutely. For anything of much value? Ehhhh.

Reactions: OvechkinTooth

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You’re on another planet if you think Debrincat and Burakovsky are comparable players.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
This is wholly unsupported. DeBrincat has scored a combined ~13% of his PTs this season on a line WITHOUT EITHER OF Toews or Kane. Burakovsky has had nowhere near a similar level of on-ice support.

Check his stats from last year a majority of his points were with Arty, Sharp, Kampf etc. Even now with Colliton putting Kane back with Toews he is still scoring and creating chances with HFboards favorite bust (Strome), there were already stretches with Colliton where he was put on the third line with David Kampf and was still producing while Kane and Strome were a unit. You can only use the being propped up by linemates excuse until eventually you must come to the realization that Burakovsky simply isnt as good and his play has declined since he could no longer be carried by Backstrom while DeBrincat has been better with worse linemates last season. If Burakovsky was as good as people talked him up to be he would have excelled more than he did with bottom 6 linemates and forced the team to knock a player down a line for him but that never happened.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Check his stats from last year a majority of his points were with Arty, Sharp, Kampf etc. Even now with Colliton putting Kane back with Toews he is still scoring and creating chances with HFboards favorite bust (Strome), there were already stretches with Colliton where he was put on the third line with David Kampf and was still producing while Kane and Strome were a unit. You can only use the being propped up by linemates excuse until eventually you must come to the realization that Burakovsky simply isnt as good and his play has declined since he could no longer be carried by Backstrom while DeBrincat has been better with worse linemates last season. If Burakovsky was as good as people talked him up to be he would have excelled more than he did with bottom 6 linemates and forced the team to knock a player down a line for him but that never happened.
I did check his stats. While it was slightly less egregious last season, still approximately 50% of Debrincat’s PTs came while on-ice with EITHER OF TOEWS or KANE.
Also your entire argument should be disregarded as Patrick Sharp and Anisimov are unquestionably better players than Connolly or Eller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad