GDT: Caps and Sharks 5:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Not hard to bail, when you already own the advantage!
Dunning-Kruger effect at work, folks. Sandin and TvR are both living in the left circle but you got it, Kuznetsov was the weak link for not dealing with a guy that shouldn’t be his in front of the net, which is not his forte and he still made an effort.

Sure, bud. Sandin made a terrible play in the wrong corner and then forced a bad switch, plain and simple. Kuznetsov did what he could but he’s not Brooks Orpik and Kunin was a little spark plug in Nashville, but okay. Bury the guy, claim your “advantage”, it’s a dogshit read by the defense and sounds like defensive posters are following suit.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Dylan Strome a cool 88% xGF tonight.

And for those who care about production he scored another goal. That gets him twabby's...

1698627794498.gif

Honorable mention goes to Alex Ovechkin, who is a different player with Strome beside him. Wilson also has stepped it up nicely after starting slowly.

And HHA is clearly one of their top 6. A lot of separation between him and Alexeyev/Johansen.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dylan Strome a cool 88% xGF tonight.

And for those who care about production he scored another goal. That gets him twabby's...

View attachment 760061

Honorable mention goes to Alex Ovechkin, who is a different player with Strome beside him. Wilson also has stepped it up nicely after starting slowly.

And HHA is clearly one of their top 6. A lot of separation between him and Alexeyev/Johansen.
Strome and Ovechkin work in a way that I can't fully understand or describe from the eye test, but it just keeps working also from the eye test. That's a weird thing that doesn't happen often overall, because you can usually at least see what makes guys work. These guys look like stooges by comparison but keep trending positively.

Seems like Strome and Ovechkin fumble passes to each other regularly, put them on the wrong side of where they want to be in board battles, etc., and then still manage to just make it work and create positive results when the bounces stop being shit. Maybe it's just because Strome is something of a disruptive presence based on what we've come to expect from the top 6 for a while, but things look way clunkier than they are and at least they look clunky in the offensive zone.

Reactions: tycoonheart

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Random thoughts:

- Mantha seems to be getting better every game which is encouraging.
- Strome has been a revelation since he got here and his contract looks ridiculously good at the moment.
- Keumper has been terrific the last few games.
- Not really feeling it from Phillips at the moment. Don’t think he’s fast or quick enough to compensate for his size. I would think about bringing NAK back up and sending Phillips down.
- McMichael is terrific. If he can figure out his shot he’s going to be a very good top six player.
- The PP looks promising and it’s only a matter of time before they start filling the net.
- I need more Ovi goals.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Kuznetsov played 25 minutes tonight??? That's not going to work going forward.

They can't keep McMichael on the wing if they can't play Backstrom more than the 12 minutes he got tonight. If Dowd returns he'll absorb some of Kuznetsov's minutes but Backstrom is a real problem right now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kuznetsov played 25 minutes tonight??? That's not going to work going forward.

They can't keep McMichael on the wing if they can't play Backstrom more than the 12 minutes he got tonight. If Dowd returns he'll absorb some of Kuznetsov's minutes but Backstrom is a real problem right now.
I think you probably have to wait for Dowd to come back.

Ice time C leaders:

Kuzy 21:54
Strome 17:56
Backstrom 14:34
Dowd 14:33
Protas 8:43

Reactions: Calicaps

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Best available LW with best available C and best available RW?

Who would have thought?

8-19-77 didnt have a chance

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Strome and Ovechkin work in a way that I can't fully understand or describe from the eye test, but it just keeps working also from the eye test. That's a weird thing that doesn't happen often overall, because you can usually at least see what makes guys work. These guys look like stooges by comparison but keep trending positively.

Seems like Strome and Ovechkin fumble passes to each other regularly, put them on the wrong side of where they want to be in board battles, etc., and then still manage to just make it work and create positive results when the bounces stop being shit. Maybe it's just because Strome is something of a disruptive presence based on what we've come to expect from the top 6 for a while, but things look way clunkier than they are and at least they look clunky in the offensive zone.

I think your last sentence is important. Ovechkin's on-ice chance generation certainly improves with Strome centering him (2.82 xGF/60 -> 3.33 xGF/60), but his chance suppression improves even more while with Strome (3.77 xGA/60 -> 2.62 xGA/60).

Strome and Ovechkin find a way into the offensive zone and avoid getting pinned in their own zone. Maybe they don't always turn those offensive possessions into grade A chances but it's still valuable to avoid playing defense as you mentioned.

Edit: Wanted to include another stat to further emphasize your point. With Strome, Ovechkin is on the ice for 2.01 goals against per 60 at 5v5. Without Strome, that number balloons to 4.19 goals against per 60.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think your last sentence is important. Ovechkin's on-ice chance generation certainly improves with Strome centering him (2.82 xGF/60 -> 3.33 xGF/60), but his chance suppression improves even more while with Strome (3.77 xGA/60 -> 2.62 xGA/60).

Strome and Ovechkin find a way into the offensive zone and avoid getting pinned in their own zone. Maybe they don't always turn those offensive possessions into grade A chances but it's still valuable to avoid playing defense as you mentioned.
Exactly, it may look off kilter, but I'd much rather they be in there doing that than struggling to break out and that's been the primary bonus of Strome and Ovechkin as a pair, they just don't seem to get hemmed in anymore. Don't fully know how it happens except that Strome is a high IQ player in his own right but sees things a little different, but overall they just work.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This was, IMO, their best game of the season so far. Yes the Sharks are turrible. And yes the score wasn't totally lopsided. And yes, they gave up the first goal. But they played solid, responsible, but also creative hockey for 60 minutes. They were the better team all game long, as they should have been. And they won decisively. Protecting and enhancing a late lead. To me, all of that means more than the shooting gallery game they played vs. NJ. Plus an actual win streak.

Reactions: tycoonheart

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Lappy had a nice defensive takeaway and calm puck control that had prime Kuzy vibes.

Was really hoping for Malenstyn to get the empty netter, the man is a gem.

And Strome is rping as Peter Bondra. I like it.

Also congratz to my boy HHA for his first NHL point.

Otherwise, this was a hockey game.

Exactly, it may look off kilter, but I'd much rather they be in there doing that than struggling to break out and that's been the primary bonus of Strome and Ovechkin as a pair, they just don't seem to get hemmed in anymore. Don't fully know how it happens except that Strome is a high IQ player in his own right but sees things a little different, but overall they just work.
I think Strome can read Ovi well and adapt to his tendencies and weaknesses. He's like a Bäckström lite.

Last edited:

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
This was, IMO, their best game of the season so far. Yes the Sharks are turrible. And yes the score wasn't totally lopsided. And yes, they gave up the first goal. But they played solid, responsible, but also creative hockey for 60 minutes. They were the better team all game long, as they should have been. And they won decisively. Protecting and enhancing a late lead. To me, all of that means more than the shooting gallery game they played vs. NJ. Plus an actual win streak.

Not taking a penalty is automatic win imho.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

I tell you why Ovechkin/Strome work. They both shoot the puck and don't think pass first like Backy or Kuzy. Centers who have a pass first mentality allow for the defense to position themselves faster especially if the center holds onto the puck too long. It worked in past for Backy/Kuzy bcuz they were fully healthy, young and playing at elite type level.

Lappy had a nice defensive takeaway and calm puck control that had prime Kuzy vibes.

Was really hoping for Malenstyn to get the empty netter, the man is a gem.

And Strome is rping as Peter Bondra. I like it.

Also congratz to my boy HHA for his first NHL point.

Otherwise, this was a hockey game.

I think Strome can read Ovi well and adapt to his tendencies and weaknesses. He's like a Bäckström lite.
Strome is nothing like a Backstrom. In fact he's the opposite of how Backstrom plays(pre and post hip surgery).

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I tell you why Ovechkin/Strome work. They both shoot the puck and don't think pass first like Backy or Kuzy. Centers who have a pass first mentality allow for the defense to position themselves faster especially if the center holds onto the puck too long. It worked in past for Backy/Kuzy bcuz they were fully healthy, young and playing at elite type level.
Well, not what I was talking about or addressing in the second half of my post really. It's not about style of play, it's about the fact that they look clumsy constantly and it's not often that something so visibly disjointed works like they keep working. I already said something about it but they put passes in bad places for each other constantly. Like, places that make it harder to shoot.

That shouldn't be working, but it keeps working. Eye test wise you might look at them and go "damn, this is like slapstick" but it's all happening in the offensive end so it's obviously better than chasing the play. They just do it with the grace of a dog eating peanut butter

I do agree that Strome plays the play more and takes what he's given, which has been working for them (and maybe that has something to do with it too, teams shading Ovechkin and disrespecting his ability to find open players) but mostly I just mean shit that looks this goofy usually doesn't last, but this is becoming a proven formula

Last edited:

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

Strome is nothing like a Backstrom. In fact he's the opposite of how Backstrom plays(pre and post hip surgery).

I meant it in how he is able to understand what a superstar player like Ovi is thinking, and adapting well to that, which is a skill a guy like Kuzy for instance never really had even when he was at his best. It's a very useful trait to have as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad