Post-Game Talk: Caps and Rangers 12:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Not too bad.

Lack of sharpness, good goalies, afternoon games... Caps started to look like themselves in the last two periods.

Just need to build the game back up.

My take as well.

And FFS, yeah Ovie looks off. Maybe he's hurt. I don't give a **** if he scores another goal all RS so long as he's ready to go in the playoffs.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Lame effort from the top two lines.

Ovechkin and Kuznetsov in particular.

Don't get Kuzy's "skate around three guys effortlessly and the blindly throw the puck away schtick".

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Started looking crips in the 3rd. Passing, forecheck started looking like it was before the break (though we still don't look scary, sleepy giant again). Orlov is finding his game will be huge for us. Kuznetsov needs to shoot the puck. He just can't waste opportunities like that against this good opponent. Hope we haven't run out of our luck for this season, cross the fingers

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Meh. We out played them in the last 40 but Hank was great. Still a bit rusty but I bet we destroy the Flyers on Wednesday.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
As others are pointing out, they did play much better in the 2nd & 3rd.

And yes it's a small sample. However after seeing them have so many 4, 5, 6G games, watching a 2 & 1 pair makes you start to think about last season. All we can to do is hope for a better outcome this coming playoffs :popcorn:

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
the only thing I really don't like.. no points for Backstrom

of course only Cup matter but I want him so bad to be in conversation for Art Ross as long as possible

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
1st line had some decent shifts in the Rangers zone late in the 3rd. Maybe at this point my expectations for them are low, but if they can continue to do that in playoffs, that'll be pretty good.

Lately, Mojo & Williams have been missing a lot of grade A chances from Kuznetsov's passes. Their overall body of work is still good, and maybe the recent stuff is due to rust... but, maybe a bit more food for thought for BM going into the trade deadline.

Schmidt has also been bad in these two games. But I figure it's more of a blip.

Carlson and Alzner... think about it, it's crazy that not (too) long ago, Green & Schultz were the top D. Then we got Carlson and Alzner who made that pairing look more like a #3 pair. And now, Niskanen & Orlov are kind of making Carlson & Alzner look like #3 pair -- at times. Anyway, for their current cap hit Carlson & Alzner are still a good pair for the Caps -- and Carlson (at least) should be able to pick it up.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Lame effort from the top two lines.

Ovechkin and Kuznetsov in particular.

Don't get Kuzy's "skate around three guys effortlessly and the blindly throw the puck away schtick".

Meh, Kuznetsov is still generating some prime scoring chances for linemates. There's plenty of room for improvement, but he's definitely been net-positive in his contributions, IMO.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Can those of you who aren't worried about Alzner please tell me why?

In the context of playoffs, I'm not too worried because his "survival defense" is strong, and "the system", once up to speed, should be able to shield him from getting burned in transition, which seems to be his biggest problem.

I'd be more worried about the prospect of re-signing him to a big contract... but in a way, the recent relative trajectories of Orlov and Alzner are kind of making the choice easy for BMac. Ofc, that's still contingent on what happens in playoffs...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They played well yesterday and today in the 2nd and 3rd periods, got shut down by Mrazek and Lundqvist. It happens.

If they lose on Wed I'll be worried, because it will mean the offense has officially dried up.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
the only thing I really don't like.. no points for Backstrom

of course only Cup matter but I want him so bad to be in conversation for Art Ross as long as possible
And if Ovi heats up re scoring goals he'll have a shot at another RR trophy.

Hope he reaches 40+ although at this point something else :win: is pretty much all that matters !

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Wake me when the Caps come back from vacation.

There were times in this game where it looked like allstar game levels of effort.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Had to miss this one. Based on the GDT gonna just delete the tivo recording and move on.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
As of right now all I care about is the Caps maintaining 1st place in the division. That is our best route to the ECF IMO. If we end up 2 or 3 all bets are off. Metro will be a dogfight come playoff time this year, and this is probably our last chance at a cup with the current lineup (given the expansion draft and FA situation).

Barring any shocking deadline deals (which I don't expect to see).

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
They played well yesterday and today in the 2nd and 3rd periods, got shut down by Mrazek and Lundqvist. It happens.

If they lose on Wed I'll be worried, because it will mean the offense has officially dried up.

Philly will be the barometer for me as well, Caps will have a few days off to re-group and practice, this would be tough for any team (afternoon road back to backs) coming off an extended break. We'll see what Caps team shows up wed.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
1st line had some decent shifts in the Rangers zone late in the 3rd. Maybe at this point my expectations for them are low, but if they can continue to do that in playoffs, that'll be pretty good.

Lately, Mojo & Williams have been missing a lot of grade A chances from Kuznetsov's passes. Their overall body of work is still good, and maybe the recent stuff is due to rust... but, maybe a bit more food for thought for BM going into the trade deadline.

Schmidt has also been bad in these two games. But I figure it's more of a blip.

Carlson and Alzner... think about it, it's crazy that not (too) long ago, Green & Schultz were the top D. Then we got Carlson and Alzner who made that pairing look more like a #3 pair. And now, Niskanen & Orlov are kind of making Carlson & Alzner look like #3 pair -- at times. Anyway, for their current cap hit Carlson & Alzner are still a good pair for the Caps -- and Carlson (at least) should be able to pick it up.

Carlson is playing like a 3rd pair defender. 5v5 he is always stuck between plays, get's caught watching, holds the puck too long, doesn't have inside position around the blue paint.

Between him and OV...ugh :help:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Thank you to both of you.

Man, I hate those ******* blue shirts. They had like one chance and a half in the last 40 minutes, but still won this game.

And Lundqvist who is horrible since the beggining of the year, decided to play well today.

Might want to look that one over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad