Post-Game Talk: Caps and Preds 5:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps need a point guy on the PP. Carlson just isn't it.

Ovi is out for most of pp's and isn't getting shots. Carlson repeatedly shoots and gets his shots blocked when Ovi is open for a one-timer. Carlson is getting greedy and that style of play is negatively effecting other players. If Carlson thinks he has a shot but Ovi has a shot - Ovi needs to get the puck every time. He's not right now.

In terms of D, overall Carlson is fine. He's been playing big time minutes lately which I don't like - but any player playing that much is going to have a mistake or two that is noticeable.

Carlson is a guy who has had 40+ points once in his career - and half his career has been on the #1 pp.

Shattenkirk would be a gold type addition to the Caps. Could jump in as #1 pp guy - and also give JC less ice time, which he needs. Shattenkirk has his fourth straight 40+ point season already. He's a guy that would be much improved over mate Schmidt or a Chorney is there's an injury.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
This might be a dumb question but why does it absolutely have to be a defenseman at the point on the PP? Why cant it just be someone defensively responsible who can also make the pass to the Ovie Office like say....Eller?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
This might be a dumb question but why does it absolutely have to be a defenseman at the point on the PP? Why cant it just be someone defensively responsible who can also make the pass to the Ovie Office like say....Eller?

Eller is left handed, and not that good of a passer. I'd keep Carlson or Niskanen up there with Ovechkin, they're the best available in this situation.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Eller is left handed, and not that good of a passer. I'd keep Carlson or Niskanen up there with Ovechkin, they're the best available in this situation.

Someone right handed then! I say look for other options because those two, especially Carlson, are wasting precious time and opportunities just because they're unable to make that freaking pass.

I love Niskanen every other time though. I will not speak negatively of him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Someone right handed then! I say look for other options because those two, especially Carlson, are wasting precious time and opportunities just because they're unable to make that freaking pass.

I love Niskanen every other time though. I will not speak negatively of him.

Looking at our top 3 non-Ovechkin right handed guys, we have Oshie, Williams and Connolly. They don't scare anybody with their slap shot from the point. I know one guy who could be perfect for us at the point on the PP. Red, white and blue looks good on him too

Kevin+Shattenkirk+Ice+Hockey+Winter+Olympics+vqcjLtCK9qwl.jpg

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

If there are odd man breaks - or a turnover yohnwant a d guy back. Also, what if we are on the pp and the pp ends and they get puck quickly and we came change and are stuck with forwards having to play d on a shift, etc.

You want your last man back to be a D guy - that's why a defender is on the point 99% of the time on pp's. One turnover or mistake and it could be one on one and you'd much rather have a defensive guy in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad