Post-Game Talk: Caps and Preds 5:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Feels like starting a game less than 24 hrs after start of prior game oughta violate CBA. But obviously it doesn't.

Overall, as much as i enjoyed World Cup of Hockey, is seems like WC and bye-week have compressed the sked and made 82-game grind even more dangerous for players.

I guess money always wins, but you'd think NHLPA could protect the guys a little better.

As for the game in Music City, just win, baby. And if you can't win, at least make sure #8 gets a damn goal already. Or at least shows some signs of life.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I understand the frustration with Ovie, but just a quick PSA: He scored their only goal against the Rangers, just 2 games ago.

He just looks like junk recently, though. Am i wrong? Sure, there was a flash of brilliance on Oshie goal v. Flyers. But the compete level, the puck handling, the skating, the board 'battles' ... it all seems like about 3 right now, on the 1-to-10 Ovie scale.

Just my impression.

And true, he could be injured. Always a possibility. If so, i wish they'd sit him a week. It's not like he's gonna score 50 this year anyway.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I thought Ovie looked decent last night. Stick him with Kuzy for a few shifts if you want him to score.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He just looks like junk recently, though. Am i wrong? Sure, there was a flash of brilliance on Oshie goal v. Flyers. But the compete level, the puck handling, the skating, the board 'battles' ... it all seems like about 3 right now, on the 1-to-10 Ovie scale.

Just my impression.

And true, he could be injured. Always a possibility. If so, i wish they'd sit him a week. It's not like he's gonna score 50 this year anyway.

That's why I said I understand the frustration. Something's definitely off. But...

I thought Ovie looked decent last night. Stick him with Kuzy for a few shifts if you want him to score.

... also this. He was fumbling the puck more than I'd like but he was hitting a bit and had a few good chances/shots. I still think its a wrist issue and maybe related pain that's hurting his overall game.

I have to assume that if sitting him would help, (he just had a week off after all) they would do it. But if he just needs time to heal, let him keep playing as best he's able, and don't spend cap space on needless call-ups.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
From a selfish standpoint I love the compressed schedule. It seems like there's always a game around the corner.

One big difference I see in Ovie right now is he isn't beating goalies cleanly from scoring areas as consistently as he used to. That seems like an indication of an injury to me.

RaindanceMaggie

Sep 3, 2011
Vancouver
I still think he's got a wrist injury, it would explain him passing up some prime shot opportunities and fumbling the puck more than usual. I think the caps are worried about giving off any notion that he's hurt as come playoff time every opposing player would be chopping at his wrists like Gaudreau earlier this year and thats not something we need.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
Ovi's taken a beating this year and hasn't really had much extended time off to heal. There's been more than a couple of times throughout this season where I was legitimately surprised to see he didn't miss any time with injuries from taking a hit or a slash or blocking a shot. I'm amazed he was "fine" after that Letang(?) hit/trip back in December where he landed really awkwardly. I'm also pretty sure I remember him blocking a shot with his hand/arm just a few games before Burakovsky's injury doing the same thing, so that might be a source of a minor injury that he's been playing through.

Or maybe he's just reached the Fedorov phase of his career where he only really cares about the playoffs and just tries to half-coast through the regular season so he doesn't get too hurt.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I still think he's got a wrist injury, it would explain him passing up some prime shot opportunities and fumbling the puck more than usual. I think the caps are worried about giving off any notion that he's hurt as come playoff time every opposing player would be chopping at his wrists like Gaudreau earlier this year and thats not something we need.

He has been repeatedly hacked in the wrist this year, and looks pissed out there. This wouldn't surprise me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ov. 8pts in his last 10.
21pts in his last 20.

Dec. 1-5/3 games was the last time he went more than one game without a point.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Ovi's 900th game tonight. So if he wants to reach 1000GP before the end of the next season, he can only miss 3 games from now until April 2018

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No Skilson strikes again.

Nice pass by Beagle.

Have a feeling we'll see that play attempted a lot in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad